Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah totally but equally none of those were niche or discovered or unearthed by VMP. They were albums that were pretty big in their own genres, or in the case of the gorillaz an enormous pop smash hit, that just hadn't been mopped up yet by the vinyl boom.

True, although I think the "lost sounds found" slogan really applies to Classics, store drops, and a lot of their early releases and just their mission in general.

True, although I think the "lost sounds found" slogan really applies to Classics, store drops, and a lot of their early releases and just their mission in general.

But it rarely does there either is kind of the tenor of the conversation and when it does it’s generally been stuff I wouldn’t make a clock out of it’s that bad. They did sell well on cogs I suppose so that was something…

But it rarely does there either is kind of the tenor of the conversation and when it does it’s generally been stuff I wouldn’t make a clock out of it’s that bad. They did sell well on cogs I suppose so that was something…
I mean I wasn’t in the club for a long time but the only bad album I got from them as a ROTM was that white college professor making Eastern music that is actually straight up jazz album…

I mean I wasn’t in the club for a long time but the only bad album I got from them as a ROTM was that white college professor making Eastern music that is actually straight up jazz album…

Yeah I had every classics up to the meltdown and I’ve sold 2/3 of them so different strokes lol

Did VMP ever announce they were dropping the weight of Essentials vinyl? I was spinning Interpol (my first Essentials since early 2020) and noticed it was light, about 150g. Going through the store it looks like The Strokes in Feb 2021 was the last one listed as being 180g. Not complaining as I think the 180g vinyl was part of GZs problem with their crappy pressings, just don't remember seeing any discussion of the change.

Did VMP ever announce they were dropping the weight of Essentials vinyl? I was spinning Interpol (my first Essentials since early 2020) and noticed it was light, about 150g. Going through the store it looks like The Strokes in Feb 2021 was the last one listed as being 180g. Not complaining as I think the 180g vinyl was part of GZs problem with their crappy pressings, just don't remember seeing any discussion of the change.
1LPs are always 180g and 2LPs are standard if I remember correctly

Nebraska is not anywhere close to the advertised 180g.

Idk why anyone ever cares if a record is 140g or 180g or 200g. Heavier records don't impact the sound or the ability for the thing to get warped. If anything they just screw with tracking angles.

How's it sound by the way? Mine's sitting in a giant stack of records waiting to be spun but haven't had time since my lumbar decided to be an asshole and pinch my nerve.
My copy sounds great. Probably my quietest VMP record in a long time. It's what I wished my Bright Eyes copies had been.

Idk why anyone ever cares if a record is 140g or 180g or 200g. Heavier records don't impact the sound or the ability for the thing to get warped. If anything they just screw with tracking angles.
Theoretically, a heavier album will couple better to your platter reducing resonance causing better sound. @Mather would vehemently disagree about warpage too. I think it makes sense that if a heavier record were pulled off the press too soon it would be more likely to be warped. I would also say in my experience, lighter vinyl tends not to be warped as often.

How's it sound by the way? Mine's sitting in a giant stack of records waiting to be spun but haven't had time since my lumbar decided to be an asshole and pinch my nerve.
It sounds great. Really captures the haunting vibe of the album. I was never a fan of the album but it's growing on me. You can tell he recorded it himself but I think that adds to the cool factor. I also don't really care too much 140g vs 180g or whatever, but they advertise it as 180g and it's not.

I don't have another pressing to compare it to, but I think Nebraska sounds good. The biggest praise I can give it is that this pressing is DEAD SILENT. Which shocks me. I had to go through a couple of Bright Eyes replacements before I was satisfied, and even then it wasn't perfect.

But seriously, why can't GZ always be this good?

Theoretically, a heavier album will couple better to your platter reducing resonance causing better sound. @Mather would vehemently disagree about warpage too. I think it makes sense that if a heavier record were pulled off the press too soon it would be more likely to be warped. I would also say in my experience, lighter vinyl tends not to be warped as often.
Personally I don't give a toss about weight because I clamp everything down anyhow. And yeah if they are warped they're easier to deal with if they're lighter weight in my experience. Every OG Japanese pressing I have are very light weight and they sound fantastic.
But yeah don't advertise 180 then give us 130. THAT'S JUST POOR FORM YO

Back