Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Newsflash…there might not still be a good sounding copy after gz does it :)

Now if they can get it in 45 rpm…that would be something else
GZ has been a bit better lately IMO. Obviously they had that bad streak but largely have gotten better since then.

there isn't a really great sounding reissue that I have found so I'd be fine with it.
Yeah, but considering it's the 25th anniversary I can almost guarantee that VMP isn't going to be the only game in town on a reissue next year.

Which is why I'm saying this is a pretty uninspired pick. It's a pretty obvious album that's bound to get at least 1 or 2 other versions next year.

EDIT: Willing to bet there will be a 3-4 disc option and like Beastie Boys VMP will do a 2LP colored edition.

Last edited:
Yeah, but considering it's the 25th anniversary I can almost guarantee that VMP isn't going to be the only game in town on a reissue next year.

Which is why I'm saying this is a pretty uninspired pick. It's a pretty obvious album that's bound to get at least 1 or 2 other versions next year.

EDIT: Willing to bet there will be a 3-4 disc option and like Beastie Boys VMP will do a 2LP colored edition.
Or VMP gets an AAA (not sure if it was recorded to tape) or 45 that’s exclusive to them. If it’s an essential I could see them having exclusivity beyond just color…but maybe that’s just being optimistic.

Or VMP gets an AAA (not sure if it was recorded to tape) or 45 that’s exclusive to them. If it’s an essential I could see them having exclusivity beyond just color…but maybe that’s just being optimistic.
That would be nice, but my money's still on a 2LP vs 3/4LP wide release. I AM jumping on Check Your Head simply for the fact I don't want to spend $150CAD for extras I'll likely never listen to.

I guess we'll see, but at the end of the day it's not an album I'd likely double dip on (it's honestly gotten one spin since I bought it). Again, it's a great album, and I hope for everyone who is interested that it's a great reissue. I guess for me I wish out of the 2 picks on the best of 90s list they had to choose from that it'd be a bit more of a "out of left field" pick that may not have had a reissue for years. Pressing quality aside, to me this one is pretty much a "Vinyl collecting starter" album.

All the pressings of the Lauryn Hill either have shit mastering, are pressed at United or both. All come in shitty jackets too. Could be pressed at the new VMP plant if they're doing it next year too. I think that's a great pick. Their track record for quality hip=hop pressings is pretty great (aside from the few times the GZ pressing-wide crackle has struck)

All the pressings of the Lauryn Hill either have shit mastering, are pressed at United or both. All come in shitty jackets too. Could be pressed at the new VMP plant if they're doing it next year too. I think that's a great pick. Their track record for quality hip=hop pressings is pretty great (aside from the few times the GZ pressing-wide crackle has struck)
From what Storf recently said, don’t see this being done at the new plant. I’d be surprised if the new plant is up and running and churning out ROTMs in the first quarter of next year. He said he went to the plant in August and it was nearly done with construction. But don’t think anything else has been moved in yet and haven’t tested the presses. Would be pushing it I imagine to do a full essentials pressing there

From what Storf recently said, don’t see this being done at the new plant. I’d be surprised if the new plant is up and running and churning out ROTMs in the first quarter of next year. He said he went to the plant in August and it was nearly done with construction. But don’t think anything else has been moved in yet and haven’t tested the presses. Would be pushing it I imagine to do a full essentials pressing there

Gotcha. That's still gonna be a pretty awesome reissue if it's anywhere near as good as the Mama's Gun, Outkast, Wu-Tang, MIA, ATCQ, etc. mastering quality. Probably will be the definitive version, hopefully GZ doesn't pull a screw job on us again.

That would be nice, but my money's still on a 2LP vs 3/4LP wide release. I AM jumping on Check Your Head simply for the fact I don't want to spend $150CAD for extras I'll likely never listen to.

I guess we'll see, but at the end of the day it's not an album I'd likely double dip on (it's honestly gotten one spin since I bought it). Again, it's a great album, and I hope for everyone who is interested that it's a great reissue. I guess for me I wish out of the 2 picks on the best of 90s list they had to choose from that it'd be a bit more of a "out of left field" pick that may not have had a reissue for years. Pressing quality aside, to me this one is pretty much a "Vinyl collecting starter" album.
Yea that’s fair. That’s how I feel about Nebraska and Blonde on Blonde. I won’t be a member anymore by the time this comes out so probably won’t end up getting it, but it is an album that deserves a quality pressing and really doesn’t have one. I think VMP may do more of these true “essentials” to get more younger/new to vinyl members in, but we’ll see. I don’t mind it if they keep up the Classics track (with a little less jazz)

Yea that’s fair. That’s how I feel about Nebraska and Blonde on Blonde. I won’t be a member anymore by the time this comes out so probably won’t end up getting it, but it is an album that deserves a quality pressing and really doesn’t have one. I think VMP may do more of these true “essentials” to get more younger/new to vinyl members in, but we’ll see. I don’t mind it if they keep up the Classics track (with a little less jazz)
I feel like “Lost Sounds Found” only applies to Classics at this point although, even Ornette Coleman’s most recognized album is in that track.

I feel like “Lost Sounds Found” only applies to Classics at this point although, even Ornette Coleman’s most recognized album is in that track.

It’s a kinda dumb thing to have an RoTM that is both “essential” and a “lost sound found”. Plus good stuff people know but want is better than the phase of press that now again stuff that was “sounds lost with good reason found for none”…

It’s a kinda dumb thing to have an RoTM that is both “essential” and a “lost sound found”. Plus good stuff people know but want is better than the phase of press that now again stuff that was “sounds lost with good reason found for none”…

I mean it's good when you're pressing things on vinyl for the first time, or the first time in a long time that are Essential. Like when they did Mars Volta, Fiona Apple, Gorillaz, QOTSA, etc. (although some of those got wider releases as well).

I mean it's good when you're pressing things on vinyl for the first time, or the first time in a long time that are Essential. Like when they did Mars Volta, Fiona Apple, Gorillaz, QOTSA, etc. (although some of those got wider releases as well).

Yeah totally but equally none of those were niche or discovered or unearthed by VMP. They were albums that were pretty big in their own genres, or in the case of the gorillaz an enormous pop smash hit, that just hadn't been mopped up yet by the vinyl boom.

Back