Vinyl Me Please Essentials

VMP already has my $33 and I don't have Blonde on Blonde, so I'll definitely be grabbing that. My guess is we'll get a decent product...right?!

Hopefully you get a nice AAA of the mono mix. That’s where it’s at with that one for me. Ryan Smith did a brilliant job on the monos before so hopefully they’d use him again.

True but you could have argued that about all three of his previous albums to a bigger degree I’d argue?
I feel like Springsteen albums kind of progressively build on to each prior release until he hit a maximal apex with The River. After that, the only place he really had to go was to tear it all back down to the studs and rebuild it in a different way. I think Nebraska is such an outlier in that regard. It’s a skeleton, by next album he has rebuilt his sound for the 1980s. Looking back over his career now there are a few albums where he kind of resets and recalibrates but back in 82 it was probably a bit unexpected, if not necessarily groundbreaking.

Also, VMP has never passed up an opportunity to go hyperbolic in their effusive praise for an upcoming ROTM.

I feel like Springsteen albums kind of progressively build on to each prior release until he hit a maximal apex with The River. After that, the only place he really had to go was to tear it all back down to the studs and rebuild it in a different way. I think Nebraska is such an outlier in that regard. It’s a skeleton, by next album he has rebuilt his sound for the 1980s. Looking back for ver his career now there are a few albums where he kind of resets and recalibrates but back in 82 it was probably a bit unexpected, if not necessarily groundbreaking.

Also, VMP has never passed up an opportunity to go hyperbolic in their effusive praise for an upcoming ROTM.

Born To Run does feel like a huge jump in every way from the first two and then there is an argument that he did that first thematically with tortured road to Darkness on The Edge of Town and then expanded those themes massively with The River. But in terms of dropping the band and effectively releasing solo demos you’ve definitely got a point.

It’s also a weird troll to pick a still from the video from a song from an album the year before that was the actual sonic change in direction for the artist when you’re claiming that of the album the year later…

That said VMP totally don’t think that deep into their hints…

Blonde on Blonde is a top five album for me. I’m pleased with my 2015 mono reissue. But if they can improve upon it I’d be absolutely interested in upgrading.

I’m locked in for Nebraska and Check Your Head. Over all a good quarter!

Funny that A Tribe Called Quest ends up being by far the best Essentials pick this year since every other one is pretty easy to find a good copy of. Though of course Thin Lizzy was great.

You can still get the AAA mono Ryan Smith Blonde on Blonde breakout from the Mono Recordings boxset for retail price all over the place.

Funny that A Tribe Called Quest ends up being by far the best Essentials pick this year since every other one is pretty easy to find a good copy of. Though of course Thin Lizzy was great.

You can still get the AAA mono Ryan Smith Blonde on Blonde breakout from the Mono Recordings boxset for retail price all over the place.
2022 Essentials Rankings:

1. ATCQ
2-12. Grab bag?

Blonde on Blonde is a top five album for me. I’m pleased with my 2015 mono reissue. But if they can improve upon it I’d be absolutely interested in upgrading.

I’m locked in for Nebraska and Check Your Head. Over all a good quarter!
I could be convinced to go all Essentials this quarter. Up in the air on Check Your Head, as it's a tough sell in my house and I'm not sure I get enough solo time to actually listen. It may end up being a grab and hold (along with my other hip-hop stuff) for later.

Are AP pressings currently in stock? If so, that is the way to go for Pet Sounds. The Mono, The Stereo, the 33, the 45 (mixed and matched however) would be a much better way to spend the money.

Do yourself a favor and grab a AP pressing. It’s an album that deserves the best and is worth every penny. No way VMP will be as good.

So if I can only get 1?

Personally I thought the Justice was amazing, but I know a lot of people had GZ crackle on theirs.
There was a tiny bit of crackle yeah, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.
For me that, Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse were highlights of this year. I passed on Tribe simply because I was pretty satisfied owning the Anthology but glad it was great for those that had it.

Sigur Ros would've been a highlight as well if I didn't already own two copies.

I know it might be a bit early but did anyone get interpol yet? If so, How does it sound?
They posted them for sale today, so I expect they'll be going out soon if they haven't already.

Haven't gotten a shipping notification, but happy to share once I do. I'm pretty close to the distribution center, so they get here quickly once they ship.

I know it might be a bit early but did anyone get interpol yet? If so, How does it sound?
Still think it's too early.
I'd expect copies to start arriving maybe Friday or early next week.

Reddit is usually the gauge of when VMP orders are out in the wild as people will definitely post pics when they get theirs.

I think with the holiday there's probably a day or two delay.

Back