Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It's not revolver so they are fucking with us again

View attachment 150739

Clue says STARTS with the letter B, so naturally probably the front-runner.

Beastie Boys, Check your head confirmed.

From the 30th Anniversary Reissue push:
"Check Your Head is the gateway between the Beastie Boys’ distant hardcore-punk past and their future. It’s the transitional album between the unbound surround-sound sampladelic of Paul’s Boutique (their masterpiece) and everything instrumental (Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, etc.) in its wake. It’s the vision of Ad-Rock, Mike D, and MCA moving beyond hip-hop and into the Lollapalooza-bound alterna-nation."

Beastie Boys, Check your head confirmed.

From the 30th Anniversary Reissue push:
"Check Your Head is the gateway between the Beastie Boys’ distant hardcore-punk past and their future. It’s the transitional album between the unbound surround-sound sampladelic of Paul’s Boutique (their masterpiece) and everything instrumental (Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, etc.) in its wake. It’s the vision of Ad-Rock, Mike D, and MCA moving beyond hip-hop and into the Lollapalooza-bound alterna-nation."
I don't think there was a moment of doubt it was this and Nebraska. Once they dropped the hip hop and B hints it was game over.
That third one is causing the issues.

Still could be Pet Sounds or Blonde on Blonde. I'd honestly be happy with either.

Who was it that said Revolver was officially not the pick, again? 'Cause the clue seems pretty on brand for that album. If nothing else, it's not gonna be Buffalo Springfield as that was a debut and therefore could not be seen as "groundbreaking change" in their sound. Thinking that sort of disqualifies The Byrds too. Blonde on Blonde could still work, I suppose. As could Pet Sounds, of course. We shall see.

Blonde on Blonde shouldn’t really. It’s the culmination of what the previous two albums were building towards. Side B of Bringing It All Back Home was the shift in sound. This is storf and VMP though so 🤷🏻

Honestly, if they're going big, it's in December to get the holiday push and Pet Sounds would fit in that sense. Personally, it's been on my wish list since I started building my collection, but I never grabbed it. I'd be happy with it, but I do know that it might not hit the mark for everyone.
Do yourself a favor and grab a AP pressing. It’s an album that deserves the best and is worth every penny. No way VMP will be as good.

I don't really get how the groundbreaking change in sound fits Nebraska. More of an outlier that he decided to release demos than a groundbreaking change, no?
Maybe a bit of a stretch but no one was expecting the biggest Rock star on the planet at the time to follow up his biggest album with a Lo-Fi 4-track recording of just him, his guitar and a harp. Maybe not groundbreaking but certainly bold.

Blonde on Blonde shouldn’t really. It’s the culmination of what the previous two albums were building towards. Side B of Bringing It All Back Home was the shift in sound. This is storf and VMP though so 🤷🏻
I think you mean side A but otherwise I agree

Maybe a bit of a stretch but no one was expecting the biggest Rock star on the planet at the time to follow up his biggest album with a Lo-Fi 4-track recording of just him, his guitar and a harp. Maybe not groundbreaking but certainly bold.

True but you could have argued that about all three of his previous albums to a bigger degree I’d argue?

Back