Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Am I insane or do the incredibly common comparisons between Interpol and Joy Division make absolutely no sense? People keep saying Paul has a deep voice and I don't even really hear that most of the time.

Sure post punk has always been a very broad genre which encompasses rather different sounding bands, but Interpol sounds so much more like contemporary early 00s Indie Rock bands than any conventional post punk that I'm a fan of that I am always left puzzled by how many "Interpol is a JD cover band" comments I've seen.

Honestly think it has decreased the amount I would enjoy the album because I go into it thinking I would love some post punk and end up confused.

Edit: Ok, look, if the whole album sounded like Stella Was A Diver, it would make more sense, but to me that song seems like an outlier.
Always found this a bit lazy. But I also remember that it popped into my head when I first heard the album way back when.

How much store credit do you get if you swap your main sub?
I'm going with swap for credit as well and curious to know. Last time, it was something like $45 credit, but I think it depends on your plan and what the monthly cost is of your plan.

Am I insane or do the incredibly common comparisons between Interpol and Joy Division make absolutely no sense? People keep saying Paul has a deep voice and I don't even really hear that most of the time.

Sure post punk has always been a very broad genre which encompasses rather different sounding bands, but Interpol sounds so much more like contemporary early 00s Indie Rock bands than any conventional post punk that I'm a fan of that I am always left puzzled by how many "Interpol is a JD cover band" comments I've seen.

Honestly think it has decreased the amount I would enjoy the album because I go into it thinking I would love some post punk and end up confused.

Edit: Ok, look, if the whole album sounded like Stella Was A Diver, it would make more sense, but to me that song seems like an outlier.
This is a good point. I think if all you’ve heard is “PDA” and “Disorder” that might be a lazy comp but beyond that I completely agree. Interpol was definitely influenced by Joy Division but their is a lot of others stuff in there too. Lots of times these comparison make Interpol sound like they’re a glorified JD cover band but that is definitely not the case.

I'm going with swap for credit as well and curious to know. Last time, it was something like $45 credit, but I think it depends on your plan and what the monthly cost is of your plan.
Back when I was under the old grandfathered pricing plan it was something like $27 which obviously wasn't worth it. But if it's something like $40 then yeah, I'll just take the credit and grab what I want through add-ons.

Whats the verdict on the Sigur Ros ROTM pressing? I might rejoin with that since ATCQ is out again.
It's pretty solid in my experience.. Didn't need any replacements. But in terms of fidelity it's similar to Spiritualized, it's a bit of a wall of sound. It's better than Ladies and Gentlemen but it's not dissimilar. Great package though. Nice textured jacket.

It's pretty solid in my experience.. Didn't need any replacements. But in terms of fidelity it's similar to Spiritualized, it's a bit of a wall of sound. It's better than Ladies and Gentlemen but it's not dissimilar. Great package though. Nice textured jacket.
Damn, did not need to hear this.

Edit: jumped back in with Sigur Ros and added Classics as an add on, which I swapped for Interpol.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if this pressing of the interpol album sounds good? Debating between this and the vmp

This is a good point. I think if all you’ve heard is “PDA” and “Disorder” that might be a lazy comp but beyond that I completely agree. Interpol was definitely influenced by Joy Division but their is a lot of others stuff in there too. Lots of times these comparison make Interpol sound like they’re a glorified JD cover band but that is definitely not the case.

PDA was playing the other day and for some reason I just couldn't place the song right away and kept thinking it was The Tragically Hip even though I knew that was wrong. There are some serious Gord Downie inflections in the delivery of that song.

Back