Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I contacted CS about having basically the same right channel noise on my 3rd copy of De-Loused, the one from the re-pressing, and they are offering to send a 4th copy or store credit, which is nice to have the option since I was already refunded. I want a noise-free LP more than I want store credit, but it seems like if I choose the former odds are I will be disappointed again.

Is there anyone here who had this noise on round 1 and round 2 presses and then eventually got a good copy via replacement? If so how many copies did you go through before getting a clean one?
I had two represses, first one had a MASSIVE scratch. Biggest scratch I've ever seen. Second repress was perfect. So yes, some of the represses are in fact good.

Thanks all for sharing your experience. I requested copy #4, although if I hadn't already ordered that PIR anthology a few weeks ago I might have grabbed the credit. Anyway... what to do with these noisy copies :unsure:

So, this should be interesting:

Next three months there's incentive in the form of free records and $150 store credit for guessing all of the albums.
Really though the guesses are mostly a group effort between here and reddit so it's now "Who is going to turn in the group project, solo for extra credit".

Thanks all for sharing your experience. I requested copy #4, although if I hadn't already ordered that PIR anthology a few weeks ago I might have grabbed the credit. Anyway... what to do with these noisy copies :unsure:

There's the PIFSgiving extrabonanza going up if you want to get rid of them. They'll probably end up in good homes.

Good thing is confessions is the deluxe edition... Including the special edition edits (aka the longer confessions part 1)

I have been incredibly lucky to only get one moderately noisy LP from VMP (confessions had a good amount of static). No Milty zero stat or even a heavy stylus cleaning, just a spin clean.. it really it a lottery with them.. also when are hints coming

Guess Me, Please has begun... and it looks like there's a shit ton of indie rock coming to the Essentials track with albums from 1999, 2012, and 1997. Happy to see some '90s stuff in the mix. Perhaps we'll see a shiny new pressing of Beulah's "When Your Heartstrings Break"?

Also - got a feeling that 2012 pick might be Chairlift's "Something." If I recall, VMP was very high on that band way back, and that album really could use a reissue.

Last edited:
Guess me please: Essentials.

All 3 are "indie rock", Released in 1999, 2012, 1997
I've been critical of their indie-fixation in the past, but these years could all produce some great shit.

1997: Yo La Tengo, Sleater-Kinney and Built to Spill all released seminal indie-rock albums this year. There's also Lonesome Crowded West, and the Blur s/t. Not really considering OK Computer since the band did a wide reissue some years back, and they seem like the type of group that won't license their material for reissue and instead just do it themselves.

1999: Blur (13) and Jimmy Eat World (Clarity) stick out to me as big '99 releases they could feasibly do. Could also be Dismemberment Plan (Emergency & I) Built To Spill (Keep it Like a Secret) or maybe Sleater-Kinney (The Hot Rock, but that'd be a strange one to pick).

2012: Keeping the definition of "Indie Rock" a little more strict here, it could be Japandroids (Celebration Rock) Cloud Nothings (Attack on Memory) or Parquet Courts (Light Up Gold). All were huge Indie rock releases that year. Could be Tame Impala. They've already done Grizzly Bear and Dirty Projectors so I'm counting those out. I hope it's The Walkmen-Heaven but that's probably not it.

Last edited:
I've been critical of their indie-fixation in the past, but these years could all produce some great shit.

1997: Yo La Tengo, Sleater-Kinney and Built to Spill all released seminal indie-rock albums this year. There's also Lonesome Crowded West, and the Blur s/t. Not considering OKC or Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space as they've both been recently reissued.

1999: Blur (13) and Jimmy Eat World (Clarity) stick out to me as big '99 releases they could feasibly do. Could also be Dismemberment Plan (Emergency & I) Built To Spill (Keep it Like a Secret) or maybe Sleater-Kinney (The Hot Rock, but that'd be a strange one to pick).

2012: Keeping the definition of "Indie Rock" a little more strict here, it could be Japandroids (Celebration Rock) Cloud Nothings (Attack on Memory) or Parquet Courts (Light Up Gold). All were huge Indie rock releases that year. Could be Tame Impala. They've already done Grizzly Bear and Dirty Projectors so I'm counting those out. I hope it's The Walkmen-Heaven but that's probably not it.
I am curious what VMP are categorizing as 90s Indie rock. This could give me a good belly laugh.

Back