Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Weird...like I don't doubt you and maybe I've just had great luck but my copies of Dexter Gordon's "Go", Hank Mobley's "Soul Station" and Freddie Hubbard's "Ready for Freddie" all sound pretty awesome and I've had zero issues.

Everything I've gotten from GZ on the other hand, including non VMP purchases like the Daptone Super Soul Revue....woof. Daptone at least had only minimal fuckery.
Sigh. And there's some HEAVY noise spanning my two favorite tracks on Kid A on the Optimal Kid A Mnesiac press. Fml I may just give up on the hobby altogether.

Oh man, this company is a joke. This months box I had De Loused "good" replacement (surface noise on A but not as loud however almost identical sound to the previous 2 copies), Wu, loudest surface noise on Side A yet (third try, used my credit from the second try to swap for another copy) hopefully 4th times a charm but I know it wont be. PE literally identical to all other copies, surface noise that starts in the run in and doesn't end for the entire side A. Didn't even try side b. Fuck this company.

It's this one.

Ahh ok. There is a lot of chatter about this release and the general consensus seems to be that the North American copies were pressed at United and the EU copies were pressed at Optimal, but they all use the same Optimal plates so there is only one Discogs listing. Check out the Radiohead thread for more info. The reason I was asking is because I live in Canada too and my local claims to have received their copies from the EU which seems unlikely but could be true. I was wondering if your store told you the same thing or if you had found a way to differentiate the two releases.

Ahh ok. There is a lot of chatter about this release and the general consensus seems to be that the North American copies were pressed at United and the EU copies were pressed at Optimal, but they all use the same Optimal plates so there is only one Discogs listing. Check out the Radiohead thread for more info. The reason I was asking is because I live in Canada too and my local claims to have received their copies from the EU which seems unlikely but could be true. I was wondering if your store told you the same thing or if you had found a way to differentiate the two releases.
Ah. Didn't see that thread and reading up it sounds more like the united press as that's the one that seems to be having the issues. I'll look for the telltale signs tomorrow. It's super disappointing, was looking forward to this release and it sounds like someone is tearing paper loudly in a couple of spots on the last three tracks on occasion on side b of kid a.

Ah. Didn't see that thread and reading up it sounds more like the united press as that's the one that seems to be having the issues. I'll look for the telltale signs tomorrow. It's super disappointing, was looking forward to this release and it sounds like someone is tearing paper loudly in a couple of spots on the last three tracks on occasion on side b of kid a.
I feel your pain. I have a copy of what I assume is the United press as well and it’s probably the worst pressing of any record I’ve ever had. All three discs are badly warped and off centre. Plus there are sections of repetitive clicking noise everywhere. There has to be at least 15 sections like that spread throughout the six sides. Pure trash.

It's possible Canada could be getting the EU version. Canada seems to get MOV releases that you can only buy as imports in the US. I have my Kid Amnesia on the way (one white and one black) I really hope they're good for as much as they cost.

My main tracks are Classics and Country. Next month I want both of those and I also want to add Essentials to get The Meters, but the button doesn't say Add Track, instead it says Join Standby List. Is there a chance I won't be able to get Rejuvenation?

My main tracks are Classics and Country. Next month I want both of those and I also want to add Essentials to get The Meters, but the button doesn't say Add Track, instead it says Join Standby List. Is there a chance I won't be able to get Rejuvenation?

They press a lot of essentials. I would wait until swap day on November 23 to see if it opens up.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I have a copy of what I assume is the United press as well and it’s probably the worst pressing of any record I’ve ever had. All three discs are badly warped and off centre. Plus there are sections of repetitive clicking noise everywhere. There has to be at least 15 sections like that spread throughout the six sides. Pure trash.
Update on this I posted in the Radiohead thread.

After being pointed in the direction of this thread and reading some of the comments I've given my red copy a proper examination and here's my findings.

- Looking at the indicators posted earlier, mine is definitely the United press.
- I've avoided the off centre press it seems...
- BUT there is a definitely, noticeable warp on Kid A
- There is LOUD noise on Side B of Kid A, starts at Morning Bell faintly, gets really loud at the start of Motion Picture Soundtrack and continues at varying levels into Untitled.
- Few divots on Amnesiac, but otherwise plays relatively fine.

Fuck me. While I feel like I've avoided some of the MAJOR issues posted here, it's still a disappointing mess. I had really looked forward to this one and paying $75+ CAD for a much anticipated release and getting...this is certainly a bummer.

Damn. Maybe I'm the canary?
Sooooo received my Volta today and yes to the surprise of exactly no one it's covered in noise. However instead of the solid wall of right channel noise across A and B that the first copy had, this one changes it up with a Side A LEFT channel noise and a rhythmic "whump" every rotation, and scattered pops and THEN Side B continues the GZ right channel tradition of a nice solid bit of noise and also scattered pops.

So yeah I mean... the noise is kinda different now? That's... something? But honestly by what I'm hearing I don't expect there to be many if any clean copies of this repress. This isn't a minor issue, clearly GZ has entirely lost the plot at this point...

Last edited:
Sooooo received my Volta today and yes to the surprise of exactly no one it's covered in noise. However instead of the solid wall of right channel noise across A and B that the first copy had, this one changes it up with a Side A left channel noise and a rhythmic "whump" every rotation, and scattered pops and THEN Side B continues the GZ right channel tradition of a nice solid but of noise and also scattered pops.

So yeah I mean... The noise is kinda different now? That's... something?
The new subreddit excuse is "That's how the hobby is these days, vinyl amirite? Something something Covid shortages. VMP can't help it"

So take that as you will.

Sooooo received my Volta today and yes to the surprise of exactly no one it's covered in noise. However instead of the solid wall of right channel noise across A and B that the first copy had, this one changes it up with a Side A LEFT channel noise and a rhythmic "whump" every rotation, and scattered pops and THEN Side B continues the GZ right channel tradition of a nice solid bit of noise and also scattered pops.

So yeah I mean... the noise is kinda different now? That's... something? But honestly by what I'm hearing I don't expect there to be many if any clean copies of this repress. This isn't a minor issue, clearly GZ has entirely lost the plot at this point...
The question is: Are you going to put in for a replacement? Like, how masochistic are you, really?

Oh hey, just had a look at Disc A...
20211111_131459.jpg20211111_131502.jpg20211111_131506.jpg20211111_131513.jpg

Like... that double scratch goes across the entire Side A. That's... actually impressive, that's an aspirational scratch. Like that's the scratch that all other scratches hope to one day be. That scratch is a fucking BOSS. I want to have a drink with it, it looks like it knows how to PARTY.

Last edited:
Back