Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yes but tags (facets in the library world) would allow you to get really fine grained, especially on the wantlist end of things. Would allow you to add a lot more information to the record that is only relevant to you and because you are a metadata freak (like myself).
It used to be that there was much more tags to allow you to search much more easily. I was gutted when they removed that, sort by genre was so useful.

With the discogs app you can search your collection by "Blue Note" and all the BN titles should pop up.
This is what I am talking about regarding Discogs, most of us a familiar enough with the platform to figure out work around a to make it do what we need it to do but wouldn’t I be nice it just made it easy to do those thing right from the get go?

Yes but tags (facets in the library world) would allow you to get really fine grained, especially on the wantlist end of things. Would allow you to add a lot more information to the record that is only relevant to you and because you are a metadata freak (like myself).
If you don't have all the nuances of your collection already memorized, you simply are not obsessing enough. ;)

My two cents is there are gray areas when it comes to returns. For me, if I’m buying from a local, it was packed well and there’s a tiny seam split, I keep it. Or if the inner sleeve has a seam split—doesn’t bother me much. If there’s a small warp that DNAP, I don’t mind (unless we’re talking a one step or something that was real expensive). I’ve seen more and more places that are willing to unseal records for you and ship behind the sleeve. Even MoFi does this now if you put it in the notes.

If you ship me a record in a pizza box with no padding and it arrives damaged, I want a refund.

I do agree with some of what @RHANDMJ is saying but not all. There definitely are cases of people buying a record, not liking the music and returning it. I know someone who bought one of the AS titles, listened to it and didn’t like the hard-panning and returned it. Or returning a record because the paper inner has a small seam split. As with most things, there are people who abuse the returns system. It’s why VMP changed their return policies. It used to be no questions asked and they’d ship you a new record if there was an issue at all including corner sleeve dings. Then people started subsidizing their subscription costs by claiming there was an issue and selling their new 2nd copy for their subscription cost. And the cheap record players do contribute to some issues other people don’t have. I think it was Demon Days that made some peoples’ cheap record players skip because of the bass but lots of people thought it was a pressing issue.

Amazon has the purchasing power that when something gets returned to them, the label/distributor pays for the damaged goods. It is part of why wholesale distributors raised their prices. Local shops end up eating some of that cost too and lose some of their markup to try to keep competitive with Amazon even though their wholesale price has gone up. I think Plaidroom said they just have to eat the entire cost of returns with seam splits because it’s not worth the headache of trying to return them.

If you want to vote with your wallet, just stop buying records from Amazon—especially if you find yourself getting damaged records constantly. Don’t let the lax return policy be the reason why you buy from them. Buy from shops that package well (AS, MD, Plaidroom, Comeback vinyl, etc).

Don’t know if QC will change anytime soon. You’ve probably seen how people dismiss issues on the VMP subreddit. But hopefully people keep supporting the pressing plants and stores that put out good products and get records to you safely.
100%.

On a different note….I received my replacement Wu on Tuesday and still had the side A noise leading to skipping on Clan in Da Front. The B,C and D sides all played without issue and sounded great on both copies. I have a Technic SL1200M3D with a ortofon concord nightclub E. I have a Shure SC35C mounted on a Stanton head shell and play tested the records and no skips. I left the tracking force the same as the concord so super heavy. Sound is crap with the shure. PE and Saba sound great with the concord so no setup issues with that needle. Just wanted to share my experience now y’all are free to rip on my setup.

On a different note….I received my replacement Wu on Tuesday and still had the side A noise leading to skipping on Clan in Da Front. The B,C and D sides all played without issue and sounded great on both copies. I have a Technic SL1200M3D with a ortofon concord nightclub E. I have a Shure SC35C mounted on a Stanton head shell and play tested the records and no skips. I left the tracking force the same as the concord so super heavy. Sound is crap with the shure. PE and Saba sound great with the concord so no setup issues with that needle. Just wanted to share my experience now y’all are free to rip on my setup.

I got my replacement copy this week and it was worse than the first copy I got. Apparently many customers have provided "good feedback" on this release. You've got to be shitting me, right?

Customer Service response today.

1633021079331.png

I got my replacement copy this week and it was worse than the first copy I got. Apparently many customers have provided "good feedback" on this release. You've got to be shitting me, right?

Customer Service response today.

View attachment 113604
Great, the presence of the uber positive "I got mine fuck yours" crowd is now actively working against other users getting a clean copy. This is ludicrous.

Alternatively here's another CS response that was posted yesterday on reddit
yzszhkp2mbq71.jpg

Sadly the memory is going after all these years. I know I have a particular version of a song, just cannot remember if it is on a 45 or lp somewhere.
When the memory goes that can be a great thing! You can put on a record you bought 10 years ago, and you go - wow, that is a great record, wish I had heard it earlier. Then a week later, put on the same record again, and you go - wow, where did that come from? Amazing record! Like everything is new every time!

When the memory goes that can be a great thing! You can put on a record you bought 10 years ago, and you go - wow, that is a great record, wish I had heard it earlier. Then a week later, put on the same record again, and you go - wow, where did that come from? Amazing record! Like everything is new every time!
Or end up with 3 copies of the same record, which has happened more often than I want to admit

Back