Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I got my replacement copy this week and it was worse than the first copy I got. Apparently many customers have provided "good feedback" on this release. You've got to be shitting me, right?

Customer Service response today.

View attachment 113604
Wait wait wait. So they’re now saying if they send you a 2nd copy they won’t offer anything if that copy is also shit? Not even store credit?

Is that really where we are now? That is absolutely insane.

Wait wait wait. So they’re now saying if they send you a 2nd copy they won’t offer anything if that copy is also shit? Not even store credit?

Is that really where we are now? That is absolutely insane.
We are watching the fall of a company in real time. If GZ doesn't unfuck themselves in the next couple of months VMP may implode on itself like a dying star.

We are watching the fall of a company in real time. If GZ doesn't unfuck themselves in the next couple of months VMP may implode on itself like a dying star.
we all said this when they hiked prices and i feel like VMP is more popular than ever.

i'm guilty of resubscribing after a hiatus because the classics sub is pretty great. but i'll be back to a non-member after next month when my 3 month sub ends.

we all said this when they hiked prices and i feel like VMP is more popular than ever.

i'm guilty of resubscribing after a hiatus because the classics sub is pretty great. but i'll be back to a non-member after next month when my 3 month sub ends.
Yeah, but they had to have taken a hit from all the replacement MV, Outkast and Wu albums they've sent out. Like there's a greater than zero chance they've taken a loss on more than one, even with their insane subscription costs. Then you factor in that they're firing these puppies across the globe on their dime.

They're popular because this past run was pretty stellar from a titles perspective, but the issues despite reddit's cheery attitude towards getting fucked, had to have made a dent in any goodwill.

Now they're usually great CS is all over the place basically saying you're now playing some jigsaw-esque game if you decide to take a replacement copy? Woof.

I may ruffle some feathers here, but I don't really think the Classics sub is even that great. Other than the QRP pressings, AAA mastering, VMP presses a lot of dollar bin records or B or C-tier albums from well-known artists. Are they truly classics? Well, that is completely subjective. But I lean more towards no.

I may ruffle some feathers here, but I don't really think the Classics sub is even that great. Other than the QRP pressings, AAA mastering, VMP presses a lot of dollar bin records or B or C-tier albums from well-known artists. Are they truly classics? Well, that is completely subjective. But I lean more towards no.
I agree with this completely. They’ve put out some great stuff but mediocre curation tamps down my enthusiasm. If what they were putting out were true R&B, Soul, Jazz, and Blues classics I would sub for a year no problem. For me Classic has 2or 3 good picks a year and a whole lot of filler in between. Meaning it makes more sense to overpay for the few records I want each year rather than keep an active subscription.

I know this is well treaded argument about VMP curation and if someone loves all their selections then more power to em but speaking for myself the consistency just isn’t there for me to be a full time subscriber.

I agree with this completely. They’ve put out some great stuff but mediocre curation tamps down my enthusiasm. If what they were putting out were true R&B, Soul, Jazz, and Blues classics I would sub for a year no problem. For me Classic has 2or 3 good picks a year and a whole lot of filler in between. Meaning it makes more sense to overpay for the few records I want each year rather than keep an active subscription.

I know this is well treaded argument about VMP curation and if someone loves all their selections then more power to em but speaking for myself the consistency just isn’t there for me to be a full time subscriber.
But...I was told that Leon Ware is a sexy, sensual, steamy masterpiece.

Oh yea--I should have clarified. I agree with you. Just saying that of the VMP Classics albums i DID want, they have all been pretty great quality-wise and I've had no need for replacement copies. Recently, I have only gotten Bill Withers, Lee Morgan, King Curtis and Donny Hathaway which all sound good. Curation-wise, it's a different story. I think I have only picked up 5 or 6 in the last year and a half.

Oh yea--I should have clarified. I agree with you. Just saying that of the VMP Classics albums i DID want, they have all been pretty great quality-wise and I've had no need for replacement copies. Recently, I have only gotten Bill Withers, Lee Morgan, King Curtis and Donny Hathaway which all sound good. Curation-wise, it's a different story. I think I have only picked up 5 or 6 in the last year and a half.

Yep. Bang average is being kind. The only positive is that after I realised I’d been a fool I sold a pile of them for more than I paid and bought better records with the proceeds.

Yep. Bang average is being kind. The only positive is that after I realised I’d been a fool I sold a pile of them for more than I paid and bought better records with the proceeds.
I was never a Classics completionist so only really picked up ones I actually wanted. I still spin a few of them regularly. According to discogs, I own a little less than a third of the classics. About 10 of them were gotten for cheap in deals/PIFs/ebay scores so I have very few regrets on those (Lloyd Miller being the biggest regret I think...don't listen to it at ALL and FOMO got me on that one...)

I was never a Classics completionist so only really picked up ones I actually wanted. I still spin a few of them regularly. According to discogs, I own a little less than a third of the classics. About 10 of them were gotten for cheap in deals/PIFs/ebay scores so I have very few regrets on those (Lloyd Miller being the biggest regret I think...don't listen to it at ALL and FOMO got me on that one...)

I owned all of them up to Mr Hands. That’s was the last month of my original subbing. I had a friend pick me up a copy of the Aretha afterwards.

When I left I realised I rarely spun them so I culled most of the jazz records (I only have Blossom Dearie of the jazz ones now). They sold for really solid prices, let me get some nice mofis and more expensive wantlist items. Also I no longer have a copy of Fancy Free on my shelf, man I really did not like that album!

Have just been looking again and I think I’m due another cull. I’ll probably end up with about 7, the 5 best soul, Blossom Dearie and Hooker, the rest will likely go.

The only two after that I would have liked would have been Otis and Donny Hathaway but I got a Japanese OG of Otis and the Speakers Corner of Hathaway so arguably I’ve done better there too!

Back