Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I have consistently had these exact same issues with GZ vinyl for the past 3 years and my running hypothesis is that they are using their stampers way beyond their lifespan because they are pressing so much vinyl in such a short period of time every month. So instead of replacing the stampers after every several thousand records pressed, to save money and time they're just using the same stampers for the whole run. I'm completely guessing but either beginning or end of side crackle on GZ presses have been near constant for me for years.
Yeah, I think you’re right. Grooves aren’t being fully formed/deep enough. Probably explains why the severity of the issue differs across copies. Also probably explains how GZ keeps their prices so low 😬

Keep in mind theres been no official word that those are being repressed, it's mostly a bunch of "hopefull" struggling to deal with the cognitive disonence that VMP isn't the great company they believe it to be and are chomping at the bit for any amount of information. I think a CS email said they were "trying" to repress Volta, and Outkast is 100% user speculaltion.

And if even if they do repress, what are the odds they'll fix whatever the problem is? More likely they just turn the machine back on and churn more out and hope people stop complaining.

Not a VMP appoligest by any means but from the email re: Mars Volta:

We will be receiving a repressing of the record, estimated to be around October, and will send out a copy to everyone who experienced the issue when we get them!

They are dragging ass on Outkast and I'm not sure what "around October" means but that's where it's at...

Yeah, I think you’re right. Grooves aren’t being fully formed/deep enough. Probably explains why the severity of the issue differs across copies. Also probably explains how GZ keeps their prices so low 😬
Could also be that they are just pressing them way too quickly so the grooves aren’t forming properly or cooling properly.

I just started spinning my copy of wu-tang and I think I have a clean copy. No crackle. Slight warp but not enough to ask for a replacement, so far.

Early Wu-Tang trip report: Only listened to the beginning of Side A so far but I do hear the right channel static right at the very beginning of the side. If I have headphones on I can sort of catch it once the Shaolin sample starts playing. But it effectively gets drowned out completely once the music begins.

So file me under "never would have noticed if no one had ever pointed it out," which I guess is a win for me. Gotta keep listening to make sure there aren't any other defects, but I'm cautiously optimistic that my copy is a keeper.

Y'all gonna lose your minds when GZ brings that left channel distortion in October, November, and Decmeber.
LOL! Nah, I am out. This has been a shit show. They need to demonstrate they can produce a non-defective record (outside of classics) before I would sign up for more of this.

Last edited:
I have consistently had these exact same issues with GZ vinyl for the past 3 years and my running hypothesis is that they are using their stampers way beyond their lifespan because they are pressing so much vinyl in such a short period of time every month. So instead of replacing the stampers after every several thousand records pressed, to save money and time they're just using the same stampers for the whole run. I'm completely guessing but either beginning or end of side crackle on GZ presses have been near constant for me for years.
Oh yeah that's definitely what's happening... I just assumed the automatic process does not change the stamper and with the Apollo fire now it's harder to make plates without eating precious styli for dmm or precious laquer for AAA
Not even so low anymore as the 40 dollar LP is too common (Mac miller's estate is doing 3LPs in different colors for 50 so there is no excuse even with 40 more grams)...

Also they partially keep it low through automation and or a low wage already

The first record is passable for me, but I gotta give the second record another cleaning and a closer comparison with how it sounds on CD. Method Man (the song) has some consistent popping near the end that I can't remember if it's in the original, and there's some weird popping distortion on Protect Ya Neck I've never experienced before. It'd be amusing if like ATLiens I end up requesting a replacement but not for the reason everyone else is needing one.

Otherwise... this sounds pretty darn nice. Definitely an overall improvement over my 2014 reissue.

My replacement copy of Wu-Tang was the same noisy mess. They're giving me subscription credit. so i got two free, noisy )but not noise-free) wu-tang copies from VMP basically.

My Wu-Tang was noisy so I'm getting a replacement but I think that will be me done with VMP for a while, I've been an on/off member for about 5 years and the last 3 months are the first I've ever complained. I'm usually okay to accept beaten up jackets, corner dings and seam splits as a hazard of ordering vinyl online, particularly if it's coming from overseas but the noise issue complaints of the last 3 months were justified.

I will say though that I thought the quality of the Mars Volta and Wu-Tang packaging was pretty good. Wu-Tang as a gate fold would have been nice though.

veckatimest_vinyl_store484702398_1200x.jpg

not sure if this one was posted or not yet!

apparently half-speed mastered by Barry Grint and cut at 45 RPM

Neat. I listened to it for the first time the other day and it didn't do much for me. Maybe it'll grow on me like Dirty Projectors did but for now it's a pass.
It's a seminal late 2000's album for me. I was in college in NYC at the time and Grizzly Bear was everywhere when this album came out.

Even with that, I think I might pass and elect to get some store credit on this one...

veckatimest_vinyl_store484702398_1200x.jpg

not sure if this one was posted or not yet!

apparently half-speed mastered by Barry Grint and cut at 45 RPM
I like those specs. This is an album I love dearly, but it being pressed at GZ gives me pause.

Gonna skip it for now, and wait to see if there are widespread issues like there have been the past 3 months.

Back