Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Soundgarden was just....BORING. No stage presence, virtually no energy. Just lifeless.

You just in a nutshell described my problem with seeing Saves The Day live. Fantastic studio records, but they are so bad that one time I legitimately fell asleep. Another time I simply walked out. Pitch and note perfect, yes, but painfully dull.

Soundgarden was just....BORING. No stage presence, virtually no energy. Just lifeless. They opened for NIN and that was at least miles better.
I'm sorry. They were anything but boring back in the day.

I saw them open for Metallica on whatever year Lallapalloza that was...talk about bringing it. They were NOT going to let Metallica blow them off the stage (which happened anyway) and were incredible that night.

I'm sorry. They were anything but boring back in the day.

I saw them open for Metallica on whatever year Lallapalloza that was...talk about bringing it. They were NOT going to let Metallica blow them off the stage (which happened anyway) and were incredible that night.
Surprisingly my first time seeing Metallica was on the Death Magnetic tour which was actually....really good!

I saw Elliott Smith play a one man show when he was fighting through the flu.
It took 3 years off my life.
The worst I've felt coming out of a gig was watching Mogwai play along to the film "Atomic". It was good in the sense they played well and sounded great but it wasn't much fun, it was quite a draining experience. My mate actually had to go out for a walk around the venue during it.

Even if they are not your cup of tea - they are an incredible live act.
Oh 1991/1992 me loved everything they had released, in fact last week we just got around to grabbing the new Black album drop and then went back and got Ride the Lightning, ...and Justice for All and Master of Puppets on vinyl. Just hated everything after the black album and thought they were just over the hill. Show kicked ass though.

Also, the whole napster fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth which looking back I think was overblown on my part.

Oh 1991/1992 me loved everything they had released, in fact last week we just got around to grabbing the new Black album drop and then went back and got Ride the Lightning, ...and Justice for All and Master of Puppets on vinyl. Just hated everything after the black album and thought they were just over the hill. Show kicked ass though.
Did you see them on Kimmel? Not their best performance.

I just hope they dont go full Genesis.

Did you see them on Kimmel? Not their best performance.

I just hope they dont go full Genesis.

No I didn't.

And to be fair, Phil is circling the drain and apparently can't even hold a drumstick anymore. Add that to the fact that Peter Gabriel Genesis = best Genesis and it's just a sad affair.

veckatimest_vinyl_store484702398_1200x.jpg

not sure if this one was posted or not yet!

apparently half-speed mastered by Barry Grint and cut at 45 RPM
…additionally, we’ve added ambient bonfire crackle to the beginning of each disc to really set the mood. This feature is ONLY available on the VMP pressing. You won’t find it anywhere else!

Asked for a second replacement for Wu after my first was worse than the first.

They actually tried to tell me that, although it is not a pressing wide issue, they cannot guarantee it won't be on a third copy.

Really???
Yeah, I just took the $43 in store credit. Two crackily copies are good enough for me.

Im liking this 'worst concerts' chat.

I saw Wiley a few years back (hes the 'Godfather' of grime) against my better judgement and it was the worst show I have ever been to. It was so bad that by the end over half the crowd had just left. He basically brought in a load of amateur grime artists and just left them to do what they wanted. It was like a load of kids in a high school playing field, utter trash.

He's honestly an awful human from what I have learnt since. A massive racist, anti-vaxer, assaulted and robbed someone, and accused of sleeping with a minor. Just trash.

I saw Wiley a few years back (hes the 'Godfather' of grime) against my better judgement and it was the worst show I have ever been to. It was so bad that by the end over half the crowd had just left. He basically brought in a load of amateur grime artists and just left them to do what they wanted. It was like a load of kids in a high school playing field, utter trash.

He's honestly an awful human from what I have learnt since. A massive racist, anti-vaxer, assaulted and robbed someone, and accused of sleeping with a minor. Just trash.
I think sadly you're going to find there's a ton of anti-vaxx in rap, just some are more vocal about it (say it ain't so Busta) than others.

I'm glad to not know what a Wiley is aside from the coyote.

I'm 3/3

Also didn't want the hip hop sub because of the problem and there is no way I'm adding Sam hunt even if as a meme

It's interesting that this is the ROTM because it was either Matt or Cameron started the only album they were into from grizzly bear was the debut..

Also copies were already 2LP at 33 so my guess is it will be quieter but faster because squeezing smaller grooves into faster speed

He isn't even one of the best grime artists, dizzee and flirta got him by a mile

I think sadly you're going to find there's a ton of anti-vaxx in rap, just some are more vocal about it (say it ain't so Busta) than others.

I'm glad to not know what a Wiley is aside from the coyote.
Yeah completely. It actually didn't surprise me, it's more that fact that some people still see this guy as influential so its sad to see him using this as a way of spreading utter shite.

He isn't even one of the best grime artists, dizzee and flirta got him by a mile
Completely agree. I have a few of his records (I sold a lot of them after I went to that gig) but he never had the same spark as what I saw in the likes of JME, Skepta, Kano, etc. I haven't followed the scene for a few years now but it always seemed like the majority of the more popular grime musicians would always name drop and praise Wiley, hopefully the new wave does this less.

Actually this is not true.

Wu, Public Enemy and Rage Against the Machine were all fantastic.
Best concert of my lifetime was seeing Radiohead during the King of Limbs tour (lol) in 2012. Nothing will ever remotely come close to that experience ever again.

And while not "worst" probably one of the most disappointing for me was Beck in... 2017 I think? Basically just him going through the motions. I wasn't expecting a Midnite Vultures experience, but I definitely thought it'd be more than the "greatest hits at the county fair" vibe that I got.

Best concert of my lifetime was seeing Radiohead during the King of Limbs tour (lol) in 2012. Nothing will ever remotely come close to that experience ever again.

And while not "worst" probably one of the most disappointing for me was Beck in... 2017 I think? Basically just him going through the motions. I wasn't expecting a Midnite Vultures experience, but I definitely thought it'd be more than the "greatest hits at the county fair" vibe that I got.
I saw Beck in 2018 and actually had a great time. I’m not a huge Beck fan though so I wasn’t expecting much. Plus, I’m sure the edible I took helped. But I think I get what you mean when you say “county fair“ vibe.

At a little 3 stage mini festival in New York I caught Kurt Vile (solo). He showed up 20 minutes late, was visibly drunk, and was definitely more into hanging with his friends that night then playing a show. He noodled around on his guitar for what felt like 10 minutes before going into a song. Every 30 seconds or so he'd fuck up a chord and have to stop and restart. Tripped his way through the song. By the time he started the second one me and my buddy said "Fuck this" and went to see another artist.

Couple acts later we see Woods, and for their last song they decide to bring up local drunk Kurt Vile! Luckily it was only for vocals. He then lends his drunken wail to a cover of "Knockin on Heaven's Door". Man fuck KV.

Back