Vinyl Me Please Essentials

If it's helpful to know (or maybe rubbing salt into the wound?) there are clean copies of the Wu out there, I have a clean one and a noisy one and the difference between the two is stark... the noisy one is far worse than Outkast IMO, more like Mars Volta.

If it's helpful to know (or maybe rubbing salt into the wound?) there are clean copies of the Wu out there, I have a clean one and a noisy one and the difference between the two is stark... the noisy one is far worse than Outkast IMO, more like Mars Volta.
Definitely helpful to hear you have one of each yes! Because that eliminates the issue being setup related. Thanks mate

Okay but if NIGHTMather crawls out of your tv in about 4 hours doing a backwards crab walk I accept no responsibility. He's less patient then me.
Not wanting to piss off NIGHTMarher:

In comparison to Wu, PE is relatively better on the noise factor. Slight crackle at the start of side a, but it's very slight and within acceptable range.

That said, the complaints about it being quiet are understated. I had to basically double the volume after playing Wu to even get to an acceptable listening level. One of the quietest albums in my collection hands down. As for the mastering, the best thing I could describe it as is "inconsistent". Bass levels are good, but nothing to really write home about. But there are times when everything else is kind of muddled. You want Chuck to be a force, but sometimes it's kind of almost gets lost. There are other times on the album it comes through loud and clear (after appropriate volume adjustments). I'm gonna have to compare the album on Spotify or something to rule out that that is just how the album is but there's something missing to put it over the edge. Overall it's just okay imo. Still a great album but I feel like it doesn't quite do it the justice it deserves.

In comparison to Wu, PE is relatively better on the noise factor. Slight crackle at the start of side a, but it's very slight and within acceptable range.

That said, the complaints about it being quiet are understated. I had to basically double the volume after playing Wu to even get to an acceptable listening level. One of the quietest albums in my collection hands down. As for the mastering, the best thing I could describe it as is "inconsistent". Bass levels are good, but nothing to really write home about. But there are times when everything else is kind of muddled. You want Chuck to be a force, but sometimes it's kind of almost gets lost. There are other times on the album it comes through loud and clear (after appropriate volume adjustments). I'm gonna have to compare the album on Spotify or something to rule out that that is just how the album is but there's something missing to put it over the edge. Overall it's just okay imo. Still a great album but I feel like it doesn't quite do it the justice it deserves.
That's surprising because if there's one thing you can usually say about the GZ RHH masters it's that they generally get them right. I have the recently released best of PE and it's VERY well mastered and pressed at Pallas so I'll definitely compare to that but it's not quiet at all and it fucking kicks so.... I don't think it's supposed to be quiet... DOUBLE FUCK.

NIGHTMather thanks you. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go play something at EXCESSIVELY LOUD VOLUMES BECAUSE THIS MAKES ME SO VERY ANGRY, SO VERY ANGRY INDEED

If you got one of these PEs and the mastering doesn't do it for you I heavily encourage you to go check out this release. Yes its a best of but the mastering is heavy AF and pressed at Pallas and it's fucking great.

That's surprising because if there's one thing you can usually say about the GZ RHH masters it's that they generally get them right. I have the recently released best of PE and it's VERY well mastered and pressed at Pallas so I'll definitely compare to that but it's not quiet at all and it fucking kicks so.... I don't think it's supposed to be quiet... DOUBLE FUCK.

NIGHTMather thanks you. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go play something at EXCESSIVELY LOUD VOLUMES BECAUSE THIS MAKES ME SO VERY ANGRY, SO VERY ANGRY INDEED
Yeah, there's been some great RHH albums, but there's just some oomph missing here. Surface noise is one thing but I expected to be kicked in the face with sound and it rarely ever came for me.

I've never heard complaints before of mastering being "too quiet" as a bad thing. It just means there more dynamic range and you have to turn the volume up on your amp more is all. Most MoFi records are cut at a lower volume that you have to crank to hear the dynamic goodness. I think the PE record has a lot of low bass mastering to be the peak volume on the record so you have to crank it to hear the vocals and other midrange things that are in the front of the mix.

I've never heard complaints before of mastering being "too quiet" as a bad thing. It just means there more dynamic range and you have to turn the volume up on your amp more is all. Most MoFi records are cut at a lower volume that you have to crank to hear the dynamic goodness. I think the PE record has a lot of low bass mastering to be the peak volume on the record so you have to crank it to hear the vocals and other midrange things that are in the front of the mix.
IMO it is far from "dynamic". I have plenty of audiophile albums and absolutely none of them I have to crank up at the level which I have to with PE. The closest I have to the experience is Deltron 3030, and I would comfortably describe it as "hot garbage". Again, if the only issue is that I had to crank it up then I would be okay, but the mastering itself sounds pretty inconsistent. Apparently it's better than the OG, which I do not have for comparison and it likely IS better (it would not surprise me), but I'm still not super impressed with it.

Could just be my opinion though, only thing you can do is see for yourself.

IMO it is far from "dynamic". I have plenty of audiophile albums and absolutely none of them I have to crank up at the level which I have to with PE. The closest I have to the experience is Deltron 3030, and I would comfortably describe it as "hot garbage". Again, if the only issue is that I had to crank it up then I would be okay, but the mastering itself sounds pretty inconsistent. Apparently it's better than the OG, which I do not have for comparison and it likely IS better (it would not surprise me), but I'm still not super impressed with it.

Could just be my opinion though, only thing you can do is see for yourself.

I agree it's not teeming with dynamic range, I think it's just the boosted bass/low end that is taking up that dynamic range and making the record seem like a "quiet" mastering. The high and midrange is pretty flattened together for a quiet record. But if it were just a loud, compressed to hell record it wouldn't be any better.

This sucks. The current single disc version is relatively quiet but has decent clarity and no background noise. If the 2 disc doesn’t improve on it that’s a major failing.

This sucks. The current single disc version is relatively quiet but has decent clarity and no background noise. If the 2 disc doesn’t improve on it that’s a major failing.
I don't have the OG to compare but would love to hear some thoughts on an A/B comparison. Background noise for me was only for about 10-15 seconds through the start of side A, afterwards was perfectly fine.

After having bad luck with awful surface noise on my original and replacement copies of both De-Loused and ATLiens, it appears I was spared a third lashing by GZ... my copy of 36 chambers is noise free and I have not even properly cleaned it yet besides blowing off some dust with compressed air. In my opinion it sounds and looks very good.

After having bad luck with awful surface noise on my original and replacement copies of both De-Loused and ATLiens, it appears I was spared a third lashing by GZ... my copy of 36 chambers is noise free and I have not even properly cleaned it yet besides blowing off some dust with compressed air. In my opinion it sounds and looks very good.
Congrats on the "not getting fucked".

Back