Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I know its early for a February Essentials discussion, but is anyone else hoping its NOT the Strokes and is the Turin Brakes - Ether Song instead?

I know it wont be but 2020 is almost over and I'm trying to be an optimist.

If I can’t find the recent Rhino reissue in stores between now and then, I’ll probably get VMP’s version. I knew I should have grabbed it when I had the chance a few weeks ago. It is, as you say, odd timing though.

I could be wrong but i dont think It was Rhino, they did his best of for rocktober. My current ST Prine is from Atlantic.

I could be wrong but i dont think It was Rhino, they did his best of for rocktober. My current ST Prine is from Atlantic.

Atlantic were the label he did this under and have the copyright. Their logos will be all over it. Rhino are a reissue company like MOV, they manufactured and marketed the 2020 reissue under licence from Atlantic.

VMP has done a ton of albums that have standard black releases as colored variants and just put them in the store instead of as ROTM. Usually their ROTMs are ones they do a new mastering of when the album comes out. Even BVSC and QOTSA had a new mastering even though there was a wide black vinyl release of the same mastering after the fact. This would be the first time they took an existing/already released mastering since their earlier days 2 years or more ago. (unless they get RKS to remaster this album needlessly when Kevin Gray just did it perfectly).

NRPS on the other hand, no vinyl release since 1979. Great album that pairs well with their recent GD anthology, excellent music, in need of rediscovery

Not arguing with any of that. Just pointing out that the majority of their subscribers probably don't know or care. I'm just commenting this is a good pick for an "Essential".

I remember when everyone was complaining about Jeff Buckley being an exclusive when it should have been an Essentials release, and you could get that everywhere. It's a no win situation and the same complaints happen every month. I understand being bummed if you bought it already, but it is a solid pick for those who don't have it (and majority of subscribers probably don't). At least they have swap/store credit options.

Atlantic were the label he did this under and have the copyright. Their logos will be all over it. Rhino are a reissue company like MOV, they manufactured and marketed the 2020 reissue under licence from Atlantic.

Rhino isn't the label, it's just the manufacturing/distributor for WMG. Atlantic is the label, but Rhino makes the record.

Understood, mine has no mention of Rhino on it. Neither does the Discogs Listing.

EDIT: Sorry discogs on phone didnt show rhino but the web version does.

Rhino is also unreliable with repressing their stuff (from someone who would have loved affordable versions of their Shotgun Willie and Blues for Allah presses). So although chances are the self titled should show up again, it's definitely not a certainty.

Rhino is also unreliable with repressing their stuff (from someone who would have loved affordable versions of their Shotgun Willie and Blues for Allah presses). So although chances are the self titled should show up again, it's definitely not a certainty.

If I can’t find the recent Rhino reissue in stores between now and then, I’ll probably get VMP’s version. I knew I should have grabbed it when I had the chance a few weeks ago. It is, as you say, odd timing though.

There are one or two sitting at my local if someone wants me to pick it up for them.

This one came out just in September, and wasn't a Limited Edition. It's a safe bet it will be back in stock soon

I’m kind of thinking it isn’t Prine. Hoping it’s not at least. I also really don’t need a color variant of the already great Kevin Gray cut. It is a fantastic album that everyone should have though.

I dunno, 1st album, 50th anniversary, and Alt Country/Americana almost lock it in.

Others that year are Charlie Daniels, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Crazy Horse but I can't see those fitting Alt-Country/Americana. More straight Country/Southern Rock.

Maybe Ronnie Milsap or Bonnie Raitt but I still think Prine seems most likely.

I dunno, 1st album, 50th anniversary, and Alt Country/Americana almost lock it in.

Others that year are Charlie Daniels, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Crazy Horse but I can't see those fitting Alt-Country/Americana. More straight Country/Southern Rock.

Maybe Ronnie Milsap or Bonnie Raitt but I still think Prine seems most likely.

NRPS fits the clue just as well as Prine. Only it hasn't been reissued since the 70s

NRPS fits the clue just as well as Prine. Only it hasn't been reissued since the 70s

My bad, I completely glossed over that on your last comment. Yeah that could be possible, especially since they just did the Dead set and would make sense they would explore Jerry's other projects.
I still think Prine fits the Americana/Alt-Country label better, but VMP is liberal with their genre definition.

But the fact it hasnt been reissued in awhile doesnt really give it much of an advantage IMO. I'd be very down for that pick though (or Milsap, Raitt, Daniels)

Back