Vinyl Me Please Essentials

My bad, I completely glossed over that on your last comment. Yeah that could be possible, especially since they just did the Dead set and would make sense they would explore Jerry's other projects.
I still think Prine fits the Americana/Alt-Country label better, but VMP is liberal with their genre definition.

But the fact it hasnt been reissued in awhile doesnt really give it much of an advantage IMO. I'd be very down for that pick though (or Milsap, Raitt, Daniels)

I think NRPS if anything fits the label better because Prine is more folk than anything while NRPS is pretty much straight up Alt-country americana. but yeah, it's gonna be Prine and they're gonna play the "50th anniversary deluxe edition" card.

NRPS fits the clue just as well as Prine. Only it hasn't been reissued since the 70s
That first New Riders album is quite good too! A little weird for an Essentials pick but definitely wouldn’t be the worst! Big Grateful Dead connections on that record too obviously with Jerry playing pedal steel and I think Mikey Hart on drums or something. I’ve had that album in my collection for years but haven’t played it in a very long time.

I know its early for a February Essentials discussion, but is anyone else hoping its NOT the Strokes and is the Turin Brakes - Ether Song instead?

I know it wont be but 2020 is almost over and I'm trying to be an optimist.
Black Keys for the clues too. And they’ve worked with Fat Possum a bunch

Yeah, I unfortunately learned awhile ago that just because Rhino is a big name does not mean those pressings are available indefinitely.
It's unfortunate, but the one thing I know about Rhino from following Grateful Dead releases for a long time, is that they HATE having excess stock. It is their number one driving force in decision making on releases, etc. It's why the GD archival releases all went to numbered editions.

It's unfortunate, but the one thing I know about Rhino from following Grateful Dead releases for a long time, is that they HATE having excess stock. It is their number one driving force in decision making on releases, etc. It's why the GD archival releases all went to numbered editions.

Yep, you can't sleep on those Rhino reissues. If that ends up being the case, a VMP reissue of Prine would be a real get.

I think NRPS if anything fits the label better because Prine is more folk than anything while NRPS is pretty much straight up Alt-country americana. but yeah, it's gonna be Prine and they're gonna play the "50th anniversary deluxe edition" card.

Eh, there's a fine line between all of those. I certainly would consider Prine Americana. And yeah he's definitely Folk Country but just as much as New Riders are Country Rock. But Genre is subjective and we're talking about how how Storf views it (and he's very liberal about that) so yeah, both can fit easily.

I think Prine is still the most likely but NRPS is a real good guess, and makes me no longer think Prine is a sure thing. Considering I have a beautiful sounding copy of Prine already I'm certainly hoping for NRPS now.

You could've saved 10-20 bucks though by just grabbing the Kevin Gray standard black rhino. It was in stock at barnes and noble earlier this week. It's awaiting repress now but it'll be back on amazon and everywhere for $20 soon. total waste of a pick, though the color vinyl and shiny jacket I'm sure will be nice.

I bet that they dont even use a new cut for the master, they will probably just use the Kevin Gray cut and put it on colored vinyl
Probably pressed at GZ instead or RTI though, right?

I’m kind of thinking it isn’t Prine. Hoping it’s not at least. I also really don’t need a color variant of the already great Kevin Gray cut. It is a fantastic album that everyone should have though.
I dunno, 1st album, 50th anniversary, and Alt Country/Americana almost lock it in.

Others that year are Charlie Daniels, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Crazy Horse but I can't see those fitting Alt-Country/Americana. More straight Country/Southern Rock.

Maybe Ronnie Milsap or Bonnie Raitt but I still think Prine seems most likely.
I just realized, I think I get you both mixed up a lot based on your Avatars. It took me a minute to realize that Mitch wasn’t replying to himself.

Thickfreakness is also in their "100 Albums you need" book, so definitely a contender
In the press release for the 10th anniversary edition of Brothers that is due out next month, they said "BROTHERS (DELUXE REMASTERED ANNIVERSARY EDITION) IS THE FIRST IN AN ANNUAL SERIES OF ARCHIVAL RELEASES." Seems unlikely they would let VMP do Thickfreakness if they have an annual archive series already planned, but who knows.

In the press release for the 10th anniversary edition of Brothers that is due out next month, they said "BROTHERS (DELUXE REMASTERED ANNIVERSARY EDITION) IS THE FIRST IN AN ANNUAL SERIES OF ARCHIVAL RELEASES." Seems unlikely they would let VMP do Thickfreakness if they have an annual archive series already planned, but who knows.

I mean the Brothers thing is a big box set. This won't keep them from putting out a big box set of Thickfrekness in 2-3 years when it turns 20.

I really don't understand how they are going to sell that Black Key's album, if that is what February actually is, at $43 when you can readily get it so much cheaper. There was a recent color repress in 2020 that is currently going for $27 on Discogs right now. And there are so many other versions of the album for even cheaper online.

Back