Vinyl Me Please Essentials

True, about Rainbo. I've had the same horrible experience as most with them. But I actually have a handful of Rainbo pressings that are decent to great.

Again, not calling out anyone in particular. Heck, even so called professionals on audiophile sites use such vague language in describing speakers, amps, what-have-you that it feels like reading a horoscope.

The post-script was me acknowledging and being self-aware of my ranting.
Rainbo was strangely capable of putting out good pressings once in a blue moon. I don't understand what happened during those certain releases to allow for it, it's a mystery. Like my Kinks Mono Box. It's pressed at Rainbo and it's flawless. It makes no sense. How did they consistently press 10 Mint discs in this box. The reviews are all glowing... Like... how?

I am SHOCKED that the RSD pressing for OutKast’s Stankonia sounds better than the VMP pressing, as the VMP pressing was remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and plated at QRP!

Like what the hell!? Maybe Ryan Smith isn’t the best mastering engineer when it comes to hip-hop? Because whenever Ryan Smith does a Classics ROTM (which also mastered by him at Sterling Sound), it sounds spectacular!

I am sure this VMP pressing will still sound great but am a bit sad to know it won’t sound ‘amazing’, and more likely just ‘pretty great’!

@JonnyH - How big was the difference in sound quality between the two pressings? Was the difference in how the sound of RSD pressing (of Stankonia) smaller compared to how much better the 2017 The White Stripes De Stijl pressing sounded than the VMP one?

I want to know what people think of this VMP pressing of Stankonia!? 🤔

All the Discogs review so far have been very positive! But... @JonnyH who is an audiophile expert is scaring me....😳😳😳

Oh I am far from an audiophile expert. @Mather and others have systems that shine the light on details that I only dream about.

Its not as pronounced as with de stijl, where the vmp version sounded pretty flat all around, and the red vinyl version is one of the better sounding records I own.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

I am SHOCKED that the RSD pressing for OutKast’s Stankonia sounds better than the VMP pressing, as the VMP pressing was remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and plated at QRP!

Like what the hell!? Maybe Ryan Smith isn’t the best mastering engineer when it comes to hip-hop? Because whenever Ryan Smith does a Classics ROTM (which also mastered by him at Sterling Sound), it sounds spectacular!

I am sure this VMP pressing will still sound great but am a bit sad to know it won’t sound ‘amazing’, and more likely just ‘pretty great’!

@JonnyH - How big was the difference in sound quality between the two pressings? Was the difference in how the sound of RSD pressing (of Stankonia) smaller compared to how much better the 2017 The White Stripes De Stijl pressing sounded than the VMP one?

I want to know what people think of this VMP pressing of Stankonia!? 🤔

All the Discogs review so far have been very positive! But... @JonnyH who is an audiophile expert is scaring me....😳😳😳

And I genuinely love the gatefold. I wish every record was gatefold.

Oh I am far from an audiophile expert. @Mather and others have systems that shine the light on details that I only dream about.

Its not as pronounced as with de stijl, where the vmp version sounded pretty flat all around, and the red vinyl version is one of the better sounding records I own.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.
Ahhh thanks for confirming that the VMP pressing for Stankonia should still sound good! I’ll definitely notice straight away how I feel about the pressing after Side A as I’ve owned two pressings of Stankonia and it’s an album I really love too and have heard it a lot.

As for De Stijl, I couldn’t judge as much on sound quality as I had never heard the album, and I thought the album was quite lo-fi in general so i was quite happy with the VMP pressing even though I knew the sound quality wasn’t ‘amazing’!

I know, Mather’s sound system would absolutely blow mind out of the water too! He’s living the audiophile dream at the moment! Honestly so happy for him! 🥰

And I genuinely love the gatefold. I wish every record was gatefold.
Yeah, the gatefold does look really good! I actually don’t mind a single jacket for a double LP, just as long as the jacket is spacious and is study and a bit oversized! But yeah, gatefold is obviously better, but I do love a nice sturdy big single jacket too! 😊

Rainbo was strangely capable of putting out good pressings once in a blue moon. I don't understand what happened during those certain releases to allow for it, it's a mystery. Like my Kinks Mono Box. It's pressed at Rainbo and it's flawless. It makes no sense. How did they consistently press 10 Mint discs in this box. The reviews are all glowing... Like... how?
Ugh, still pissed at myself for not snagging that box when I had a chance. Seems to be out of print now, or at least out of stock everywhere.

Ugh, still pissed at myself for not snagging that box when I had a chance. Seems to be out of print now, or at least out of stock everywhere.
Yeah it looks like it's finally vanished from stores. Although I'm willing to bet it's sitting on a LOT of records store shelves in local brick and mortar spots.

Yeah it looks like it's finally vanished from stores. Although I'm willing to bet it's sitting on a LOT of records store shelves in local brick and mortar spots.
That's possible. There are no local shops here that stock new releases (unless Barnes & Noble counts), so maybe I'll call around some places in Denver and ask.

Alright so... I finally did a comparison between Stankonia MOV and VMP and... man there's not much here. Ultimately both of these sound good and honestly you aren't going to go wrong owning either. But if I had to review them.... it would go something like this... The MOV is clean AF. Like it's pristine, perfect, CDish. And there's the rub, do you like your vinyl to sound like a CD? Get the MOV. I mean this isn't really news to anyone that's familiar with MOV pressings, but that's basically it with this one. The MOV doesn't have a single click or pop, the vinyl is heavy as hell, flat as fuck and it sounds very very good. But the packaging is single pocket, the usual MOV deal. Basically the packaging is sufficient but nothing special. Doesn't suck, but isn't awesome. The VMP vinyl is pretty as fuck but lighter weight, the packaging is fantastic, nice thick gatefold, looks really nice. It sounds very good, but it's got a click or two, and it's got a mild warp... in the quiet sections there might be a little noise, it's not the mastering, it's the usual GZ garbage where they can't fucking actually press anything properly. The VMP Sterling master is good, is it better than the MOV? I dunno, it's different more than anything. There's a bit more separation on the VMP but it's also a tiny bit muddier on the lows. But the highs are a bit more full, brighter. The synth on B.O.B. pops more on the VMP, makes you actually follow it as it moves left to right across the stereo image. But the bass is a bit looser, and blends a bit more. Is it bad? No. Just different.

In the end I'd say if you already own the MOV you don't need the VMP. But if you're buying this for the first time and you prefer to pay more for a premium package, go for the VMP. But sound wise they're both very good and if someone is listening at your pad and gets halfway through the MOV version of Ms. Jackson before indignantly announcing that they can't listen to it any more because they prefer the fancy smokey grey VMP version with the thick stock gatefold, then punch them in the dick and throw them head first down the fire escape because they're everything wrong with society today and wait what were we talking about?

Last edited:
Alright so... I finally did a comparison between Stankonia MOV and VMP and... man there's not much here. Ultimately both of these sound good and honestly you aren't going to go wrong owning either. But if I had to review them.... it would go something like this... The MOV is clean AF. Like it's pristine, perfect, CDish. And there's the rub, do you like your vinyl to sound like a CD? Get the MOV. I mean this isn't really news to anyone that's familiar with MOV pressings, but that's basically it with this one. The MOV doesn't have a single click or pop, the vinyl is heavy as hell, flat as fuck and it sounds very very good. But the packaging is single pocket, the usual MOV deal. Basically the packaging is sufficient but nothing special. Doesn't suck, but isn't awesome. The VMP vinyl is pretty as fuck but lighter weight, the packaging is fantastic, nice thick gatefold, looks really nice. It sounds very good, but it's got a click or two, and it's got a mild warp... in the quiet sections there might be a little noise, it's not the mastering, it's the usual GZ garbage where they can't fucking actually press anything properly. The VMP Sterling master is good, is it better than the MOV? I dunno, it's different more than anything. There's a bit more separation on the VMP but it's also a tiny bit muddier on the lows. But the highs are a bit more full, brighter. The synth on B.O.B. pops more on the VMP, makes you actually follow it as it moves left to right across the stereo image. But the bass is a bit looser, and blends a bit more. Is it bad? No. Just different.

In the end I'd say if you already own the MOV you don't need the VMP. But if you're buying this for the first time and you prefer to pay more for a premium package, go for the VMP. But sound wise they're both very good and if someone is listening at your pad and gets halfway through the MOV version of Ms. Jackson before indignantly announcing that they can't listen to it any more because they prefer the fancy smokey grey VMP version with the thick stock gatefold, then punch them in the dick and throw them head first down the fire escape because they're everything wrong with society today and wait what were we talking about?
Thanks for doing the comparison! I'm going to compare the two tomorrow as well and will say what I think too! Stankonia is an album I like to listen to loud as well, so I'll be blasting it! I'll just compared Side A/B of both copies though! Packaging for Stankonia was really nice though and I really like the colour variant too! Looking forward to putting it on the turntable soon! :D

Thanks for doing the comparison! I'm going to compare the two tomorrow as well and will say what I think too! Stankonia is an album I like to listen to loud as well, so I'll be blasting it! I'll just compared Side A/B of both copies though! Packaging for Stankonia was really nice though and I really like the colour variant too! Looking forward to putting it on the turntable soon! :D
Looking forward to hear which one you think is the winner... although I have a sneaky suspicion already 😁

Keep in mind there's also a UK and a US version. UK is pressed at GZ, but by all accounts I've seen it's excellent as well.

Its exceptional too. The worst side factories either side of the Atlantic randomly both press one of the best sounding non audiophile pressings I own. Go figure!

I’m spinning the VMP Stankonia now and it sounds really good! I’ve got it playing loud and it’s actually quite dynamic even though it’s not as clean sounding as the MOV. The bass on this VMP pressing is really nice and stands out but isn’t dominant. The MOV from memory is more crisp in sound but I’m not sure if it’s as detailed. Either way, I’m very happy with this pressing and love the colour variant and packaging, so this will be the one I keep!

I’m listening to Slum Beautiful and it sounds amazing. This pressing is definitely more dynamic than the MOV pressing; there’s definitely more depth to the sound in this VMP pressing.

I listened to Gábor Szabö last night and oh my goodness, it was just an incredible listen and the John Lee Hooker sounded amazing too! Both top 5 Classics ROTM’s of all time I think!

Back