Vinyl Me Please Essentials

btw anyone else get these black friday at vmp emails? making it sound like great deals and then your relize they just marked the shit out of all these old records that were supposedly "limited" and now can't sell at 45-50 bucks per? so they're trying to fool us with deals of 35 bucks and such? vmp is really turning into a hipster profit machine. makes me want to start my own record club to compete with their asses.
A couple ROTMs for 17-20 bucks is a solid deal, but the others if I didn't bother swaping them when I could for 23 I'm not going to buy them on sale for 29+ now lol

btw anyone else get these black friday at vmp emails? making it sound like great deals and then your relize they just marked the shit out of all these old records that were supposedly "limited" and now can't sell at 45-50 bucks per? so they're trying to fool us with deals of 35 bucks and such? vmp is really turning into a hipster profit machine. makes me want to start my own record club to compete with their asses.

Im sure the VMP donkeys are ready and waiting for the challenge...

I have it. I'm not sure where it's pressed, but it sounds great to my ears.
Thanks, reviews on Discogs seem good too. I generally like Bazza cuts, but I wouldn't expect it to be considerably better than Grundman, so I may just cancel my VMP subscription and pick that one up.

Anyone have the existing BG cut Respect the Classics version of Mama's Gun? Know where it is pressed?

I only have the 2014 Music on Vinyl reissue as well as the 2000 original Sterling cut. While the gold foiled, matte textured packaging of the imminent Vinyl Me, Please reissue is a nice touch, it'll be a pass for me.

I’m shocked we don’t have any MOV vs VMP Stankonia comparisons up here yet. Y’all sleeping or what? 😉

The Laface RSDBF pressing sounds better in a side A to side A comparison. Theres more separation in the details. With a cleaner bass sound.

I only compared side A and side A at this point.

While I considered finding @NathanRicaud 's post saying he's glad to have the best sounding version of stankonia, quoting it, and informing him that sadly he does not, in the end I decided not to be like that.

I dont have the MOV.

The Laface RSDBF pressing sounds better in a side A to side A comparison. Theres more separation in the details. With a cleaner bass sound.

While I considered finding @NathanRicaud 's post saying he's glad to have the best sounding version of stankonia, quoting it, and informing him that sadly he does not, in the end I decided not to be like that.

I dont have the MOV.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 🤣😭

I dont have the MOV.
I’ve got the MOV so I can compare the two but that sucks to know the RSD pressing sounds better than the VMP pressing! Haven’t received my VMP copy of Stankonia yet!

It’s the second time this year where you’ve compared an Essentials ROTM and you found a previous pressing better! (Remember you said The 2017 De Stijl pressing was better than the VMP pressing). 😢

@Mather - What are your thoughts on the VMP pressing of Stankonia? Does it sound good, and do you think the MOV sounds better?
Honestly, I haven't spun it yet. I've been working a lot so I haven't cleaned it. I will compare the two in about 3 days after I go through the entire Dead Box. And Dreams, and Idles... And like... a bunch of other ones I've likely forgotten about. I need to buy less.

Honestly, I haven't spun it yet. I've been working a lot so I haven't cleaned it. I will compare the two in about 3 days after I go through the entire Dead Box. And Dreams, and Idles... And like... a bunch of other ones I've likely forgotten about. I need to buy less.
I know! I need to buy less too!!! I’m working and it’s too much! Thinking of taking a few weeks off work to just take it easy and spin records for a good 4-5 hours everyday!

I am SHOCKED that the RSD pressing for OutKast’s Stankonia sounds better than the VMP pressing, as the VMP pressing was remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and plated at QRP!

Like what the hell!? Maybe Ryan Smith isn’t the best mastering engineer when it comes to hip-hop? Because whenever Ryan Smith does a Classics ROTM (which also mastered by him at Sterling Sound), it sounds spectacular!

I am sure this VMP pressing will still sound great but am a bit sad to know it won’t sound ‘amazing’, and more likely just ‘pretty great’!

@JonnyH - How big was the difference in sound quality between the two pressings? Was the difference in how the sound of RSD pressing (of Stankonia) smaller compared to how much better the 2017 The White Stripes De Stijl pressing sounded than the VMP one?

I want to know what people think of this VMP pressing of Stankonia!? 🤔

All the Discogs review so far have been very positive! But... @JonnyH who is an audiophile expert is scaring me....😳😳😳

I am SHOCKED that the RSD pressing for OutKast’s Stankonia sounds better than the VMP pressing, as the VMP pressing was remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and played at QRP!

Like what the hell!? Maybe Ryan Smith isn’t the best mastering engineer when it comes to hip-hop? Because whenever Ryan Smith does a Classics ROTM (which also mastered by him at Sterling Sound), it sounds spectacular!

I am sure this VMP pressing will still sound great but am a bit sad to know it won’t sound ‘amazing’, and more likely just ‘pretty great’!

@JonnyH - How big was the difference in sound quality between the two pressings? Was the difference in how the sound of RSD pressing (of Stankonia) smaller compared to how much better the 2017 The White Stripes De Stijl pressing sounded than the VMP one?

I want to know what people think of this VMP pressing of Stankonia!? 🤔

All the Discogs review so far have been very positive! But... @JonnyH who is an audiophile expert is scaring me....😳😳😳

Sometimes what is on paper as individual line items (i.e. engineer x, pressing plant y, etc.) doesn't translate the same as numbers plugged into a formula. There is sometimes a vast gap between theory and practical application. You might benefit from pumping the brakes a bit on how something should sound and just waiting to hear how it does, in fact, sound.

As well, the idea of anyone on here as an audiophile "expert", while holding a meaning in so far as something it is supposed to indicate, is kind of empty. And I don't mean this as a denigration of the person you mentioned or anyone else. But it is so subjective. The best we can hope to find is someone who is knowledgeable - here I agree there is expertise as far as a bank of knowledge of facts; or someone who, time and again, seems to have similar parameters and/or takes on things (be it pressings, gear, etc.) to safely assume that their tastes will match ours.

However, this idea of someone having a "good ear" or being an "expert" is a little like....hmmmm, based on what certification authority - it's just a weird concept. Having a strong opinion on gear, pressings, etc. is a good thing (in general it's nice to have a strong opinion on your hobbies so you don't flail aimlessly); but having a strong opinion doesn't gild one's ear.

P.S. Keep an eye out if the marketplace. I'll be selling my soap box later today.

tbh i will say that outkast sounds pretty good on my system.. bassy, not sibilant, pretty nice
Oh that’s great to hear! All the Discogs reviews are saying it sounds really good too so I’m sure I’ll really enjoy it; even though I enjoy the MOV pressing too. I have a feeling I’ll enjoy the VMP pressing more however!

Sometimes what is on paper as individual line items (i.e. engineer x, pressing plant y, etc.) doesn't translate the same as numbers plugged into a formula. There is sometimes a vast gap between theory and practical application. You might benefit from pumping the brakes a bit on how something should sound and just waiting to hear how it does, in fact, sound.

As well, the idea of anyone on here as an audiophile "expert", while holding a meaning in so far as something it is supposed to indicate, is kind of empty. And I don't mean this as a denigration of the person you mentioned or anyone else. But it is so subjective. The best we can hope to find is someone who is knowledgeable - here I agree there is expertise as far as a bank of knowledge of facts; or someone who, time and again, seems to have similar parameters and/or takes on things (be it pressings, gear, etc.) to safely assume that their tastes will match ours.

However, this idea of someone having a "good ear" or being an "expert" is a little like....hmmmm, based on what certification authority - it's just a weird concept. Having a strong opinion on gear, pressings, etc. is a good thing (in general it's nice to have a strong opinion on your hobbies so you don't flail aimlessly); but having a strong opinion doesn't gild one's ear.

P.S. Keep an eye out if the marketplace. I'll be selling my soap box later today.
That’s very true that sometimes some things on paper don’t translate when it comes to the final product! It can even be the opposite in that a vinyl record I have that is pressed at Rainbo on colour that isn’t AAA etc, sounds nearly just as good as a MoFi / AP pressing!

Yeah, it definitely is quite subjective! I just think of JonnyH as an audiophile expert because he has a lot of high quality pressings and works in radio etc; I have a feeling his ears are very good at analysing music. But yeah, you’re right in saying that it is subjective; and that the credibility would be stronger if it was someone who worked specifically in that field. I mean, there might be people who think the VMP pressing of Stankonia sounds better than the RSD pressing, but JonnyH said that there is more separation in the RSD pressing...😅😶😐

Also agree that having a strong opinion is a good thing when it comes to hobbies as it shows the passion! 🔥🔥🔥

Soap box!?! What exactly is a soap box???

That’s very true that sometimes some things on paper don’t translate when it comes to the final product! It can even be the opposite in that a vinyl record I have that is pressed at Rainbo on colour that isn’t AAA etc, sounds nearly just as good as a MoFi / AP pressing!

Yeah, it definitely is quite subjective! I just think of JonnyH as an audiophile expert because he has a lot of high quality pressings and works in radio etc; I have a feeling his ears are very good at analysing music. But yeah, you’re right in saying that it is subjective; and that the credibility would be stronger if it was someone who worked specifically in that field. I mean, there might be people who think the VMP pressing of Stankonia sounds better than the RSD pressing, but JonnyH said that there is more separation in the RSD pressing...😅😶😐

Also agree that having a strong opinion is a good thing when it comes to hobbies as it shows the passion! 🔥🔥🔥

Soap box!?! What exactly is a soap box???
True, about Rainbo. I've had the same horrible experience as most with them. But I actually have a handful of Rainbo pressings that are decent to great.

Again, not calling out anyone in particular. Heck, even so called professionals on audiophile sites use such vague language in describing speakers, amps, what-have-you that it feels like reading a horoscope.

The post-script was me acknowledging and being self-aware of my ranting.

Back