Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I appreciate the ability to vote, not everything should be democratically decided but this seems like one that should.
I'm new, but don't forums inherently "vote" organically. The mods can certainly do what they want. I think wisdom would be to shuffle people politely to certain forums that were more or less positive. I probably won't vote. I came over because I like VMP still and want to discuss it. I won't vote, because that seems nonsensical to me. I will "vote" by deciding whether I want to participate in the new direction. The thing is that would happen no matter what. You build it. You moderate it. You lead it somewhere. People decide via participation. It seems that the more places you have (within reason) to catch the different type of people on the front end the better. If a segment dies off, then there is your answer. The other attitude of strictly cutting out one segment or the other just seems bitter, and in an ironic way similar to what you are mad at VMP for doing.... picking a new target and alienating you in the process. Just my 2 cents as a sort of new observer.

Not picking on the quoted commenter either, just used the quote to move the discussion forward.

I'll add that coming even to the old forum it was a little frustrating as a newcomer to click a thread title and have half the discussion off topic. If you want to pick up new traffic politely keeping things on topic is a no brainer in forum moderation to me. Most of the ones I've participated in will let discussion go off topic, but create a landing spot(even if temporary) for it and redirect if it gets too much. Just for the sake of sorting through things.

Again it seems to me if the creators want to take the forum a different direction people will vote anyway. But it would be easier to make all current parties welcome and gently direct traffic to those places, until you see who the bulk of your audience is.

Last edited:
I'm new, but don't forums inherently "vote" organically. The mods can certainly do what they want. I think wisdom would be to shuffle people politely to certain forums that were more or less positive. I probably won't vote. I came over because I like VMP still and want to discuss it. I won't vote, because that seems nonsensical to me. I will "vote" by deciding whether I want to participate in the new direction. The thing is that would happen no matter what. You build it. You moderate it. You lead it somewhere. People decide via participation. It seems that the more places you have (within reason) to catch the different type of people on the front end the better. If a segment dies off, then there is your answer. The other attitude of strictly cutting out one segment or the other just seems bitter, and in an ironic way similar to what you are mad at VMP for doing.... picking a new target and alienating you in the process. Just my 2 cents as a sort of new observer.

Not picking on the quoted commenter either, just used the quote to move the discussion forward.

I'll add that coming even to the old forum it was a little frustrating as a newcomer to click a thread title and have half the discussion off topic. If you want to pick up new traffic politely keeping things on topic is a no brainer in forum moderation to me. Most of the ones I've participated in will let discussion go off topic, but create a landing spot(even if temporary) for it and redirect if it gets too much. Just for the sake of sorting through things.

Again it seems to me if the creators want to take the forum a different direction people will vote anyway. But it would be easier to make all current parties welcome and gently direct traffic to those places, until you see who the bulk of your audience is.

I agree except on one point, we all feel vested here and would rather settle a matter with our voice than our silence. I could just go away if i feel this forum is going away from my wants or i can politely say what direction i would like to see it go. If I'm understanding you correctly..?

I agree except on one point, we all feel vested here and would rather settle a matter with our voice than our silence. I could just go away if i feel this forum is going away from my wants or i can politely say what direction i would like to see it go. If I'm understanding you correctly..?
Not exactly. My point is that if they shuffle traffic they can keep more people rather than tell anyone to go away.

What I don't know is whether they can make the investment to make that work. I don't think it's much more...

e.g. if a thread turns bitter and gets railroaded on a topic. Thread the topic and direct people to the "I'm pissed about the latest whatever tread." I might end up there myself if I have a bad experience LOL

I'm super new, but my initial impression of the mods was not positive. I felt things got off topic too easy in every forum. Many became the same complaints in every tread. I waded past it, I bet some didn't. Look if that's what they want they should just do it. Then I'll have to decide if I want to stick around. I'd imagine it dies down anyway soon.

All I'm saying is I don't get the logic of a vote. If there are two groups of people hanging around that seems like a net positive. Make room for both and direct traffic. If the mods don't want to, or don't have time to then just start shutting down what you don't want and folks will leave.

The very idea that they are concerned with losing traffic enough to create a vote indicates that they DON'T actually want to run anyone off. If that's the case the easier solution is creating threads as needed and directing traffic. JMO

As an example You and I should currently be redirected to the "Vote thread" as we've hijacked the Essentials. Or at least if it goes on and on and others get involved.

Swapped for Stepping Into Tomorrow. Just don't think I would spin Phoenix regularly

Interesting, I don't see Stepping Into Tomorrow as a swaption, I did already swap for it a few months ago however.

Here's what my non-ROTM swaps look like, is this about the same for everyone else?

Not exactly. My point is that if they shuffle traffic they can keep more people rather than tell anyone to go away.

What I don't know is whether they can make the investment to make that work. I don't think it's much more...

e.g. if a thread turns bitter and gets railroaded on a topic. Thread the topic and direct people to the "I'm pissed about the latest whatever tread." I might end up there myself if I have a bad experience LOL

I'm super new, but my initial impression of the mods was not positive. I felt things got off topic too easy in every forum. Many became the same complaints in every tread. I waded past it, I bet some didn't. Look if that's what they want they should just do it. Then I'll have to decide if I want to stick around. I'd imagine it dies down anyway soon.

All I'm saying is I don't get the logic of a vote. If there are two groups of people hanging around that seems like a net positive. Make room for both and direct traffic. If the mods don't want to, or don't have time to then just start shutting down what you don't want and folks will leave.

The very idea that they are concerned with losing traffic enough to create a vote indicates that they DON'T actually want to run anyone off. If that's the case the easier solution is creating threads as needed and directing traffic. JMO

We are on the same page, they aren't making the decision to appeal to everyone as it seems they are inclined the other way. They are debating a vote instead of just siding with the majority. Therefore if we have to vote to show the majority then so be it.

We are taking different paths to the same solution. (y)

Does a convo go here about whether current black vinyl version of WAPhoenix is worth a duplicate based on analogue sourcing alone? Spinning now and not sure what I want to listen for to identify reasons to double up...

Does a convo go here about whether current black vinyl version of WAPhoenix is worth a duplicate based on analogue sourcing alone? Spinning now and not sure what I want to listen for to identify reasons to double up...
That’s funny, that’s exactly what I’m doing right now, too. I feel like the black vinyl version seems dull in sound. I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need the VMP version, but I’m curious how much better it sounds.

Back