Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah the weight or lack there of is surprising and lame. Keep us posted on your sound comparison. Can you tell I’m eager to find out?😜

Side B track 1 comparison: the 2017 pressing is so quiet and so much more dynamic that even my wife sitting on the couch only passively paying attention to what I'm doing said, "wow!"

The VMP one doesn't sound bad! And if its the only copy of it in your collection then you will still enjoy it greatly.
That is good to hear! My current quest is to discover whether the 2010 or the VMP sounds better, because it’s not very likely that I’ll score the 2017 any time soon. I broke down and ordered the 2010 from amazon and will let you folks know what I find.

Anyone else get a nasty defect right in the beginning of “You’re Pretty Good Looking”? My copy skips a couple times and pops for the first 30 seconds or so :rolleyes:

View attachment 56625
Well, well, well! Looks like you are the perfect person to enlighten us! First of all, did you order the VMP version? And secondly, how does the 2010 compare to the 2017, sound wise?

I assume the 2017 is warped since we are talking about third man here lol
The 2017 ones from the plant opening are dead quiet and so flat that @Mather wouldn't even know he was looking at a record.

I wasn't planning to chase those as they were a premium, but a trusted WS head told me they sounded amazing. So I tracked them down and did an A-B, agreed at how stellar they sounded and apparently got rid of my 2010 de stijl press.

I have not and do not plan on ordering the recent one from TMR.

There's no numbered matrix info on the VMP release. The run out groove messages are SLIGHTLY different. The words "nun" and "stranger" change places but the rest of the sentences remain the same.

A-B of track 1: VMP comes in second.
Somewhat surprising they didn't go heavyweight, but in pressing thousands of copies of De Stijl for VMP *and* the De Stijl XX Vault Package, they probably had to make a tough decison or two.

I have had 150G presses from Third Man Pressing that sound pretty good though. I'll give it a spin tonight, too, and report back.
Side B track 1 comparison: the 2017 pressing is so quiet and so much more dynamic that even my wife sitting on the couch only passively paying attention to what I'm doing said, "wow!"
-glances at 2017 pressing price-

Well shit.
I stopped listening to the VMP version.
Well damn, that sucks for those of us waiting on the new copy, but is really good to know. Thanks for sharing your results!

I bet the VMP pressing of John Mayer's Continuum is flat, flawless and dead quiet.
VMP will probably be more careful with the Essential from a true modern blues master.
😜

Seems like it is the same Wes Garland cut as the 2010, but has the benefit of not being pressed at United.

I'm confused by what seems to be an RTI pressing code in the deadwax of the 2017. Is a code like that present on other TMR presses?
According to the matrix it isn't Wes Garland on VMPs. His initials are removed according to cogs. It's WTS now. William Thomas Skibbe.

Omg @JonnyH ! I want the 2017 Third Man Records pressing of De Stijl now!!! 😩

I’m so jealous! And it’s 180g too whereas the VMP pressing isn’t! 😶😶😶

Thanks as well for the A-B comparison! Appreciate it! I’m sure the VMP pressing will sound great but it’s awesome to know there’s an ever better sounding pressing out there!🔒📌

I appear to no longer have that one! I may have PIFed it when I got the one from the plant. I haven't listened to the VMP one but it is NOT heavyweight vinyl and every other version of this album I've owned is. View attachment 56643
Cool that you have the comparison, thanks for that. What on earth did they do with the levels on the cover art of the right copy? Really strange!

Will let everyone know that a side through the Mayer sounds fantastic.

Thought the White Stripes could have sounded better after listening to it. Listening to the two albums back to back is a very noticeable difference.
Can testify Mayer sounds very very good. Definitely brings the instrumentation to the front and makes for a very entertaining listen. Unfortunately for me, my Mayer and Tyner arrived in a pretty beat up mailer and both record's jackets and records are pretty warped so I put in a request for some replacements. They seem to have boxed up the two exclusives that I had scheduled to arrive with the ROTMs separately in their own individual mailers with their own tracking numbers, which have yet to arrive. Usually I'd be annoyed but considering the ROTMs arrived in shit condition I'm actually quite thankful this time around lol.

So I’m really excited for BVSC but am really on the fence for Spiritualized. Ladies and Gentlemen is one of my favorite albums of all time and I own the 2010 reissue. I’m just trying to figure out if this reissue is going to be worth at. Any thoughts?
The 2010 reissue is from Plain, who are a mediocre at best, if not downright bad reissue label. I'd say the VMP one will almost certainly sound better and be a better package. If it is a favorite album, I would say it is worth getting the VMP edition.

Back