Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It says artist/band. Someone in the band she recorded with played on a Stax album. Not that big of a stretch. I don't really care though, I was just answering your question. Worst worded clue ever, so who knows what the hell he meant.

who did she play with that was featured in the Stax Anthology?

she hasn’t played with any band or artist from the Stax Anthology that I can find. Just a bunch of Hi Records guys

she hasn’t played with any band or artist from the Stax Anthology that I can find. Just a bunch of Hi Records guys
This artist/band has played with/recorded with/ or produced a band/artist/label that VMP has featured in a previous Anthology release.

Edit to:

This band has played with/recorded with a label that VMP has featured in a previous Anthology release.

I'm not saying Dylan might not be a better fit here, but we are talking about Storf giving a clue with 5 slashes in it. Her playing with someone who played on a Stax album is definitely close enough for Storf, even if it ends up being wrong.

This artist/band has played with/recorded with/ or produced a band/artist/label that VMP has featured in a previous Anthology release.

Edit to:

This band has played with/recorded with a label that VMP has featured in a previous Anthology release.

I'm not saying Dylan might not be a better fit here, but we are talking about Storf giving a clue with 5 slashes in it. Her playing with someone who played on a Stax album is definitely close enough for Storf, even if it ends up being wrong.

when did she play with Stax records though? None of her albums are on Stax . And I don’t see any musicians “featured” in the Anthology that she played with. You have to really twist this one, seems like a big stretch, not a front runner at all

when did she play with Stax records though? None of her albums are on Stax . And I don’t see any musicians “featured” in the Anthology that she played with. You have to really twist this one, seems like a big stretch, not a front runner at all
The session players on The Greatest.

You seem to have a very different interpretation of the slashes in the clue than I do.

You seem to have a very different interpretation of the slashes in the clue than I do.

She didn't play or record with an artist or band featured in the Stax Anthology. She didn't play or record with any label featured in the VMP Anthologies. She only played with guys who played with guys who were featured in the Stax Anthology....or played with guys who played on a label featured.

She didn't play or record with an artist or band featured in the Stax Anthology. She didn't play or record with any label featured in the VMP Anthologies. She only played with guys who played with guys who were featured in the Stax Anthology....or played with guys who played on a label featured.
Don’t squish me dreams matey

I explained why I think it could be close enough for Storf. No need to reiterate. Clearly we're on different pages on that. That's cool. Hope it's Modern Times for your sake.

Edit to:

Does this rule out Amy Winehouse?
Because I’m still convinced, without any supporting evidence and the tacit understanding it probably going to be Dylan, that it’s Back To Black.
It’s the 2006 Black Pumas/Durand Jones and the Indications, which is soooooooo in the VMP Essential wheelhouse.

Either that or Idlewild by OutKast, Erika Badu is on the women of Motown Anthology.

Last edited:
I explained why I think it could be close enough for Storf. No need to reiterate. Clearly we're on different pages on that. That's cool. Hope it's Modern Times for your sake.

I mean I don’t put much past storf with being inaccurate, but he knows Stax and hi aretwo different things . Just seems like a huge stretch to me.

His first #1 album in 30 years, number 204 on the RSM 500 greatest albums list, it’s a great album and a perfect fit for VMP Essentials. Besides, all his big classic 60s and 70s albums have been reissued to death
Rolling Stones Magazine ranked this album the 204th best album of all time!?! What a joke! 🤦‍♂️

It’s ratings like this that make me laugh at their top 500 album of all-time list! 😂

I mean it’s a great album, but......really? Just shows the favouritism Rolling Stones Magazine has towards Bob Dylan! 💯

Edit to:

He couldn’t even count the right number of letters in the album title clue last month.

The first album in the Stax anthology was by Booker T. and the M.G.'s.

The wikipedia page for "Booker T. and the M.G.'s" mentions a drummer named "Steve Potts" who has played with them more recently.

The drummer on Cat Power's "The Greatest" is also "Steve Potts."

Pretty sure that's enough for Storf despite the fact that Steve Potts specifically wasn't featured on the Stax Anthology.

View attachment 52686

The Hodges brothers played on Cat Power records but they never played on anything in the VMP Stax Anthology.

The first album in the Stax anthology was by Booker T. and the M.G.'s.

The wikipedia page for "Booker T. and the M.G.'s" mentions a drummer named "Steve Potts" who has played with them more recently.

The drummer on Cat Power's "The Greatest" is also "Steve Potts."

Pretty sure that's enough for Storf despite the fact that Steve Potts specifically wasn't featured on the Stax Anthology.

if that's the connection then it's a garbage clue because it's very incorrect. But I don't think that is enough to say that Cat Power is a front runner like seems to be the case around here for some odd reason.

Capture.JPG

This is interesting. As a member with an active subscription, I don't have the option to "place" orders. They are created automatically by VMP. And of course, my order page shows THEY placed this on June 2. What a bunch of muppets.

View attachment 52757

This is interesting. As a member with an active subscription, I don't have the option to "place" orders. They are created automatically by VMP. And of course, my order page shows THEY placed this on June 2. What a bunch of muppets.
You should be good as an active subscriber. They're lumped in with the first batch of shipments. Interestingly enough, they mention that they upped their order on their "delay" detail page: An Update About Our Essentials Release Of ‘De Stijl’

Why they didn't provide all the context from this page in the email beats me.

Back