Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I don’t have the stomach to dig back through this thread (White Stripes are one of the greatest bands of all time, the Raconteurs slap, solo Jack White is good, Arctic Monkeys are good, all facts). But De Stijl is going to be the June essential? As in, Stooges is April, something else in May, then Stripes?

April was going to be my last ROTM, having finally run through my annual subscription. I was kind of excited about getting out. But I need this Stripes record (it’s the only one I don’t have yet) so may need to stay in on a monthly basis to make sure I don’t miss. Do we have any idea on the May tracks?

I’ve got my fingers crossed for store exclusives of some other white stripes or jack white albums... maybe the white stripes self-titled?
I wouldn’t count on it. Last year when they did the self-titled anniversary Vault package (live stuff and demos/outtakes, did not include the album itself), they put out a white ST exclusive through Urban Outfitters. This feels like the same thing to me.

If you don’t want to resub just for White Stripes, you can still probably get the album from another source (it just might have a different color). It looks similar to the Queens of the Stone Age release. VMP referred to the White Stripes ROTM as their version of the album, and announcing it so far in advance will encourage people to resubscribe or sign up for it before other versions are announced. I could be wrong, but yeah, it looks like QOTSA part 2.

If you don’t want to resub just for White Stripes, you can still probably get the album from another source (it just might have a different color). It looks similar to the Queens of the Stone Age release. VMP referred to the White Stripes ROTM as their version of the album, and announcing it so far in advance will encourage people to resubscribe or sign up for it before other versions are announced. I could be wrong, but yeah, it looks like QOTSA part 2.
That was my first thought when I saw the announcement, that TMR would be doing some sort of general reissue series of the White Stripes albums and VMP was just trying to get ahead of it with the usual FOMO.

Having De Stijl pressed at TMP is what makes this must grab material. I have the self titled album and De Stijl pressings from the plant opening weekend. Those are the quietest, flattest, most dynamic sounding white stripes records that I own. And I own a lot of white stripes records.

Having De Stijl pressed at TMP is what makes this must grab material. I have the self titled album and De Stijl pressings from the plant opening weekend. Those are the quietest, flattest, most dynamic sounding white stripes records that I own. And I own a lot of white stripes records.
If I don't lose my job, I will be getting this. If I lose my job I wiiiiIIIIIIIIILLLLOOOOoooon't... ahem, WON'T... be getting this.

Last edited:
That was my first thought when I saw the announcement, that TMR would be doing some sort of general reissue series of the White Stripes albums and VMP was just trying to get ahead of it with the usual FOMO.

While it's possible I doubt it.

To me its announced early so TMR can try to convince you to get their vault package that goes along with it.

Over three years ago now they made new plate and new masters for De Stijl and their self titled album. They pressed them in limited numbers on red vinyl with screen printed jackets. This was for their plant opening weekend.

TMR has not pressed these new masters of those albums since. This VMP release is the first wide release using either one.

Part of me is hoping they'll have some exclusives cut from other TMR offerings like Van Lear Rose, White Blood Cells, Elephant or Get Behind Me Satan. Similar to what they did with The Flaming Lips.

Fine but I'm not buying a third copy of Van Lear Rose and I'm definitely NOT buying a fourth copy of elephant. You cant trick me Jack!

I mean I like the Arctic Monkeys but calling them the last great new band is maybe the worst music take I’ve read in a minute. There are great new bands dropping music virtually every single week. And AM have been around for like 15 years.....I mean that’s just preposterous.

Particularly since everybody knows Incubus was the last great band

While it's possible I doubt it.

To me its announced early so TMR can try to convince you to get their vault package that goes along with it.

Over three years ago now they made new plate and new masters for De Stijl and their self titled album. They pressed them in limited numbers on red vinyl with screen printed jackets. This was for their plant opening weekend.

TMR has not pressed these new masters of those albums since. This VMP release is the first wide release using either one.

Is it noticeably better? I have the 10th anniversary reissue that was pressed at United. It’s a really great sounding heavyweight record and a nice package with a tip on sleeve. At bit like the Stevie album it feels too good a copy for it to be worthwhile to give these clowns more money! That otis on the other hand is pretty damn tempting, even for me lol!

Is it noticeably better? I have the 10th anniversary reissue that was pressed at United. It’s a really great sounding heavyweight record and a nice package with a tip on sleeve. At bit like the Stevie album it feels too good a copy for it to be worthwhile to give these clowns more money! That otis on the other hand is pretty damn tempting, even for me lol!

I dont want to tempt you so I'll say I also think you're copy sounds great. The TMR 180g version? It's very good.

Back