Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I have the one that’s blue and cream. Is that a boot?
According to Clint...
It, like Late Orchestration, were bootlegged in Europe around the time they came out. I know, cause I ran a record store at the time and these were not available from any real distribution channels. It's one of those user-generated 'grails' like Late Orchestration that if anyone really paid attention to, they'd see it's clearly a bootleg. Not knocking ya if you still want to buy it but I'm not paying $200+ for a record some European bootleggers pressed off a cd/mp3.

I think I might have paid 30 for it, I looked it up and it says Czech Republic on Discogs so yeah def a boot, I like it though, when I had the cd I remember how awesome it was to have Jay Z playing with a live band, and being the Roots made it even cooler.
It is SO. MUCH. FUN! Jay-Z is incredibly charming. And the way they buzz through his many many hits is amazing. The H-to the Izzo Intro still gives me goosebumps.

I need to listen to it again. But I've tried a couple times in the last year and it just hasn't clicked. @hatfieldpdx got me to take a re-listen too :LOL:

Last try! And sorry to go back to Wilco, as I just caught back up to this. The link below is more than you ever wanted to read about ‘A Ghost is Born’, but it’s a damn good read. One thing I often wonder...if the album had been sequenced differently, would it have been more widely received and embraced as the masterpiece it is? Though “Spiders (Kidsmoke)” works well after “Hell is Chrome”, a nearly 11-minute song is a bit much to digest as the third track. I also agree that “Less Than You Think” would have been a better fit as album closer. In any case, it’s still the Wilco record that I reach for the most.

Last edited:
Last try! And sorry to go back to Wilco, as I just caught back up to this. The link below is more than you ever wanted to read about ‘A Ghost is Born’ (but it’s a damn good read). One thing I often wonder...if the album had been sequenced differently, would it have been more widely received and embraced as the masterpiece it is? Though “Spiders (Kidsmoke)” works well after “Hell is Chrome”, a nearly 11-minute song is a bit much to digest as the third track. I also agree that “Less Than You Think” would have been a better fit as album closer. In any case, it’s still the Wilco record that I reach for the most.

I'll try and read this at the kid's volleyball clinic today. Not sure it will take though :ROFLMAO:

Last try! And sorry to go back to Wilco, as I just caught back up to this. The link below is more than you ever wanted to read about ‘A Ghost is Born’, but it’s a damn good read. One thing I often wonder...if the album had been sequenced differently, would it have been more widely received and embraced as the masterpiece it is? Though “Spiders (Kidsmoke)” works well after “Hell is Chrome”, a nearly 11-minute song is a bit much to digest as the third track. I also agree that “Less Than You Think” would have been a better fit as album closer. In any case, it’s still the Wilco record that I reach for the most.

I basically forgot that “The Late Greats” existed until I saw them play it live a couple of months ago. “Less Than You Think” just shouldn’t exist. Love the album, though. “At Least That’s What You Said” may be my favorite Wilco track (and I’m not the first person in this thread to say that).

I basically forgot that “The Late Greats” existed until I saw them play it live a couple of months ago. “Less Than You Think” just shouldn’t exist. Love the album, though. “At Least That’s What You Said” may be my favorite Wilco track (and I’m not the first person in this thread to say that).

In all honesty, I love the first 3 or so minutes of "Less Than You Think", and think it's essential to the album...though as already noted it would work far better as a closer...

"Your spine starts to shine
And you shiver at your soul
A fist so clear and climbing
Punches a hole
In the sky
So you can see
For yourself
If you don't believe me
There's so much less
To this than you think"

Pretty sure it is the ensuing 9 minutes of grating mechanical noise that ruin the song for most. As most Wilco fans know, Jeff has long dealt with migraines, which in part led to his painkiller addition, which he wrote about here. An excerpted quote:

"There is a lot of material that mirrored my condition. In particular there’s a piece of music - "Less Than You Think" - that ends with a...drone that was an attempt to express the slow painful rise and dissipation of migraine in music. I don’t know why anyone would need to have that expressed to them musically. But it was all I had."

Last edited:
It’s very bittersweet to hear so many people say that they’ve tried with Radiohead and it just doesn’t work for them. On the one hand, I feel bad that they don’t share my awe of this band’s output, and, on the other, there’s hope that someday it will click, and that day will be something special.

If anyone is going to give the best band in the universe another shot, I’d say two things (which are kind of my personal guideposts for music discovery in general):

1) don’t worry about making sense of the lyrics until you’ve given yourself space and time to HEAR all of the SOUNDS; think of them as an instrumental band and try to listen to them that way; some of the most interesting parts of Radiohead songs are the zany instrumental parts that bridge the lyrical fragments in the songs; there are some bands where the lyrics hold most of the value, and Radiohead is not one of those bands -they are musicians, not storytellers

2) turn it up so you can hear the full palette of SOUNDS - Radiohead isn’t background music to put on at a party because of a vibe it projects (well maybe that’s what they were trying to do with King of Limbs...who knows), it’s an overstuffed menagerie of carefully curated sounds - if it’s not loud enough, you won’t really hear half of what’s going on in the songs

**suggested 90 mins of listening based on points 1 and 2:
- “Just” from The Bends: starts out sounding like a crisp, conventional pop/rock song (albeit with lots of different kinds of guitar sounds), but notice how it takes a meandering detour 2 mins in, and then from 3:10 or so to the end of the song just goes off the rails
- “Paranoid Android” from OK Computer - that little interlude at 2 mins in that morphs the song into something else and then weaves in and out through the next minute or so of the song and then comes back in again at like 5:39 to the end of the song
- “subterranean homesick alien” - just the first 30 seconds or so - it sounds like a magical watery world filled with bubbles
- “Climbing Up the Walls” - nice gradual build in this song and then 3:08-3:45 is just face-melting and gives me chills every time I hear it
- i think those 3-4 songs tee you up nicely to just listen to Kid A in it’s entirety and think about the POWER MOVES they are flexing throughout that album; remember, volume UP!!
- then just enjoy everything that comes next, especially: “you and whose army?” [i like to superimpose this over the battle of helm’s deep in my head and 1:48 is that magical pivot point when Gandalf shows up on the ridge with the sun and 1:55 is when they start charging down the mountain into the fray], “like spinning plates,” “i might be wrong,” “backdrifts” [a glitchy, minimalist banger], “reckoner,” but these are just personal faves and every Radiohead fan will have a radically different list.

*If at least one of these songs doesn’t make you say “holy buckets,” then I give up.

It’s very bittersweet to hear so many people say that they’ve tried with Radiohead and it just doesn’t work for them. On the one hand, I feel bad that they don’t share my awe of this band’s output, and, on the other, there’s hope that someday it will click, and that day will be something special.

If anyone is going to give the best band in the universe another shot, I’d say two things (which are kind of my personal guideposts for music discovery in general):

1) don’t worry about making sense of the lyrics until you’ve given yourself space and time to HEAR all of the SOUNDS; think of them as an instrumental band and try to listen to them that way; some of the most interesting parts of Radiohead songs are the zany instrumental parts that bridge the lyrical fragments in the songs; there are some bands where the lyrics hold most of the value, and Radiohead is not one of those bands -they are musicians, not storytellers

2) turn it up so you can hear the full palette of SOUNDS - Radiohead isn’t background music to put on at a party because of a vibe it projects (well maybe that’s what they were trying to do with King of Limbs...who knows), it’s an overstuffed menagerie of carefully curated sounds - if it’s not loud enough, you won’t really hear half of what’s going on in the songs

**suggested 90 mins of listening based on points 1 and 2:
- “Just” from The Bends: starts out sounding like a crisp, conventional pop/rock song (albeit with lots of different kinds of guitar sounds), but notice how it takes a meandering detour 2 mins in, and then from 3:10 or so to the end of the song just goes off the rails
- “Paranoid Android” from OK Computer - that little interlude at 2 mins in that morphs the song into something else and then weaves in and out through the next minute or so of the song and then comes back in again at like 5:39 to the end of the song
- “subterranean homesick alien” - just the first 30 seconds or so - it sounds like a magical watery world filled with bubbles
- “Climbing Up the Walls” - nice gradual build in this song and then 3:08-3:45 is just face-melting and gives me chills every time I hear it
- i think those 3-4 songs tee you up nicely to just listen to Kid A in it’s entirety and think about the POWER MOVES they are flexing throughout that album; remember, volume UP!!
- then just enjoy everything that comes next, especially: “you and whose army?” [i like to superimpose this over the battle of helm’s deep in my head and 1:48 is that magical pivot point when Gandalf shows up on the ridge with the sun and 1:55 is when they start charging down the mountain into the fray], “like spinning plates,” “i might be wrong,” “backdrifts” [a glitchy, minimalist banger], “reckoner,” but these are just personal faves and every Radiohead fan will have a radically different list.

*If at least one of these songs doesn’t make you say “holy buckets,” then I give up.
Love the passion and thought gone into this post appreciate it 👌🏼

I will try again bearing it all in mind.

I'll wait until I am on the right wavelength to try it though, currently rotating Roots, Saba, Mac Miller, Megan Thee Stallion, DaBaby & Jigga so switching into that straight away would not be giving it a fair chance.

I hope I dont have to come back here and tell you this band is 💩 and I was right all along 🤔

😂😂😂 I'm only joking. I've never actually said that about them 😂 just that I couldn't click with them. thanks again 🍻

Love the passion and thought gone into this post appreciate it 👌🏼

I will try again bearing it all in mind.

I'll wait until I am on the right wavelength to try it though, currently rotating Roots, Saba, Mac Miller, Megan Thee Stallion, DaBaby & Jigga so switching into that straight away would not be giving it a fair chance.

I hope I dont have to come back here and tell you this band is 💩 and I was right all along 🤔

😂😂😂 I'm only joking. I've never actually said that about them 😂 just that I couldn't click with them. thanks again 🍻

I’m glad you’re going to try it out! I hope it’s a fun experiment and doesn’t feel like homework haha.

I should add that everything I posted is entirely subjective to what unlocked Radiohead’s music for me, but every fan is going to have different recommendations. I’m sure there are people who just like listening to it really quietly and reading along with the lyrics haha.

I’m glad you’re going to try it out! I hope it’s a fun experiment and doesn’t feel like homework haha.

I should add that everything I posted is entirely subjective to what unlocked Radiohead’s music for me, but every fan is going to have different recommendations. I’m sure there are people who just like listening to it really quietly and reading along with the lyrics haha.
No I get that 100%. I'm open to new music (new to me even if it's old lol). over the years I've been backtracking on things I didnt enjoy previously and end up loving as I got older same with movies. I just gotta free my mind and go all in for it. Let it digest. I haven't been able to before on a few attempts thats all

Back