Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I still feel pretty nervous about playing the dirty projectors album I got because I'm nervous I might have gotten someone else's order, on my order page it says it's unfulfilled and doesn't have a tracking number so I wonder if it really was someone else's and somehow some idiot slapped 2 labels on it

I still feel pretty nervous about playing the dirty projectors album I got because I'm nervous I might have gotten someone else's order, on my order page it says it's unfulfilled and doesn't have a tracking number so I wonder if it really was someone else's and somehow some idiot slapped 2 labels on it

It doesn't matter I'm sure they have enough of those to go around. 👍

Wait guys, wait... Where are we on The Decemberist, and the Avett brothers?
The Avett Brothers, like RHCP, are a band that score well on multiple criteria but comes up short for me in the totals. And have only existed for about 60% of the timeframe under discussion. Give it another 10 years and see what happens? Maybe put My Morning Jacket in this bucket as well?
I love Mignonette through Emotionalism, but Rick Rubin, or the change that led to them want to work with him killed that band for me. I and Love and You is pretty good in spite of that, but it is downhill from there. They lost what I loved about them with that shift.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, all my December ROTMs are still marked “unfulfilled,” and I received all three.

I love Mignonette through Emotionalism, but Rick Rubin, or the change that led to them want to work with him killed that band for me. I and Love and You is pretty good in spite of that, but it is downhill from there. They lost what I loved about them with that shift.

They absolutely did change but still one of my favorite bands. I think if you get past the production on some of the newer songs and listen to the lyrics the same Avett Brothers are still there.

Mine would go...
1) YHF
2) Summerteeth
3) A Ghost Is Born
4) Being There
5) Sky Blue Sky
6-11) everything else

but I think you could make an argument for 1-4 in any order.
Kind of shocks me that everyone dismisses A.M. so much. Not sure if it is because of the split of Tupelo and that first Son Volt album was so good or what. But there are some great songs there that they still play a lot live. They hadn't become the alt/pop/dad rock band yet, but they did the first step of it pretty well.

I really rate the first 4 the top 4. I kind of lost a bit of interest with A Ghost Is Born and Jay Bennett being gone, and especially most everything after. Being There is my top. They found their way there, and it's a notch above YHF and Summerteeth for me. Also, I spent a lot of time in the car with that album when dating someone a couple hours away. Once again as you all have mentioned above, it's where it fits in your timeline.

Kind of shocks me that everyone dismisses A.M. so much. Not sure if it is because of the split of Tupelo and that first Son Volt album was so good or what. But there are some great songs there that they still play a lot live. They hadn't become the alt/pop/dad rock band yet, but they did the first step of it pretty well.

I really rate the first 4 the top 4. I kind of lost a bit of interest with A Ghost Is Born and Jay Bennett being gone, and especially most everything after. Being There is my top. They found their way there, and it's a notch above YHF and Summerteeth for me. Also, I spent a lot of time in the car with that album when dating someone a couple hours away. Once again as you all have mentioned above, it's where it fits in your timeline.
I like A.M. quite a bit--a lot more than most Wilco fans, it seems. It's got a lot of great songs for sure, but it's just not nearly as interesting as any of the four (or most of the rest, either) that followed, to me. Too much of a continuation of Uncle Tupelo.

That's completely fair, and actually a pretty good echo of what I'd say about Radiohead. They should be right up my alley, but they haven't clicked yet.
I feel like Radiohead is a band I should like and someday probably will end up liking but anytime I've tried I just didnt "get it".
Man, yes, I've tried and tried and tried with Radiohead, and every time I come away bewildered.

I like A.M. quite a bit--a lot more than most Wilco fans, it seems. It's got a lot of great songs for sure, but it's just not nearly as interesting as any of the four (or most of the rest, either) that followed, to me. Too much of a continuation of Uncle Tupelo.
Honestly for me, most of the stuff after YHF bores me to death besides a song or two an album. To me, post YHF is when the dad rock thing started. And I totally agree.

I really love that A.M. VMP did.

Interesting? Ehh, not really. I got it as a swap way after it came out, but I've really played it a lot. People always love hearing young Jeff Tweedy's voice, too.

Yeah, Wilco wasn’t important to me as a band until YHF, then I also loved AGIB when it was released. There was a bit of space between that and Their next release so I went and explored their back catalog. Being There instantly clicked but Summerteeth didn’t really grab me initially. I think that one took Pet Sounds clicking with me to finally become receptive to the big orchestral pop vibe it was putting out but once I fell for Summerteeth I fell hard. AM is a nice record with some great songs. It’d likely be #6 on my list. I just enjoy ALBUM experience as a whole more with the others I listed.

Have all you Wilco fans heard Robert Sean Leonard's cover of "The Lonely 1" from the Chelsea Walls soundtrack? I think I might like it more than Wilco's version.

Edit: And don't even get me started on Jimmy Scott's rendition of Jealous Guy in that movie. Whew.

So, just took a listen to the new Caroline Rose single and I'm digging it. It has me feeling that the next two months will be a pretty nice way to end my tenure with VMP. My yearly is scheduled to re-up in March and I'm def opting out at that point.

Its as "adventurous" as anything Radiohead has done since Amnesic.

I love Radiohead. I love Wilco. Both are top 10 bands (of all time) for me, but have either Radiohead or Wilco done anything adventurous since 2002?

Not throwing shade, more I just feel like it's the nature of music, that artists have a window where they can make an impact on music and then they either die, break up, fade into obscurity, or best case scenario (as is the case of Wilco and Radiohead) just continue to make high quality music that's not as influential as their previous work.

Back