Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That's completely fair, and actually a pretty good echo of what I'd say about Radiohead. They should be right up my alley, but they haven't clicked yet.

Like most bands, I think the context in which you first hear them plays a huge role in developing a relationship with/getting into them. I only first heard them in the summer of 2011, after Circuital came out (which most hardcore fans don't like much), but the title track just gripped me. I worked backward pretty quickly and At Dawn and Z became the soundtracks to late-night drives through the country going home from my summer job and drinking outside with my friends. Those will always be some of my most vivid memories of a pretty important time (my early 20s), so that relationship with the music makes it that much more special to me.

Yeah I suppose Radiohead have always just been there and grew more experimental as I grew older and was ready for it. I got into them at 14 when OK Computer came out, was 17 when Kid A Came out and 24 by the time in Rainbows came around. The only one they’ve released while I’ve been a fan that didn’t connect was The King of Limbs. I can also see that their fans can be so evangelical that it’s off putting to someone before they even consider giving the band a try!

Ode to Joy is a top 5 Wilco record. No question.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I will say, 'Ode to Joy' has grown on me a great deal since those first few listens. That said, I too may need to respectfully disagree at the moment. The top 4 slots are not up for debate, and the #5 spot is usually secured by a rotation of 'Star Wars' and 'Sky Blue Sky'. Nonetheless, I could see 'Ode to Joy' working its way in there...it's a grower for sure.

1) A Ghost is Born
2) Being There
3) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4) Summerteeth
5) Star Wars
6) Sky Blue Sky
7) Ode to Joy
8) Schmilco
9) The Whole Love
10) A.M.
11) Wilco (the album)

Yeah I suppose Radiohead have always just been there and grew more experimental as I grew older and was ready for it. I got into them at 14 when OK Computer came out, was 17 when Kid A Came out and 24 by the time in Rainbows came around. The only one they’ve released while I’ve been a fan that didn’t connect was The King of Limbs. I can also see that their fans can be so evangelical that it’s off putting to someone before they even consider giving the band a try!
I must be a couple years older than ya Joe, because this assessment works really well for me too though It starts with The Bends as oppose to OK Computer.

Ha! There are definitely some bands out there whose fans have turned me off, but Radiohead is definitely not one of them. My sister gave me OK Computer and The Bends on CD when I was in high school, but they didn't click then, and I haven't put much effort in since, to be honest. Though I listened to A Moon Shaped Pool a lot the year it came out and revisit it once in a while, I haven't spent much time with the "big" albums, though I think it'll happen eventually that we click.

I love Wilco. I'm a dad, but I also loved Wilco before I was a dad?

One time I read a review that compared Wilco to camping. People that love it, f'ing LOVE it, but to everyone else it's just really boring. I don't know that I agree with the assessment, but I thought it was funny.

That's completely fair, and actually a pretty good echo of what I'd say about Radiohead. They should be right up my alley, but they haven't clicked yet.

Like most bands, I think the context in which you first hear them plays a huge role in developing a relationship with/getting into them. I only first heard them in the summer of 2011, after Circuital came out (which most hardcore fans don't like much), but the title track just gripped me. I worked backward pretty quickly and At Dawn and Z became the soundtracks to late-night drives through the country going home from my summer job and drinking outside with my friends. Those will always be some of my most vivid memories of a pretty important time (my early 20s), so that relationship with the music makes it that much more special to me.

Radiohead finally clicked for me after getting The Bends, picked it up used at a store on vacation to give them a chance and now it's on heavy rotation.

You are right though, if a band clicks with with you or not absolutely depends on your frame of mind and tying it back to a memory. Good or bad memories, I went through some shit a while back and when i look at my playlist from that time it takes me right back.

I feel like Radiohead is a band I should like and someday probably will end up liking but anytime I've tried I just didnt "get it". The ridiculous fanboys are extremely off putting too they seem to be so engaged in Thom Yorke that if he farted into a Capri Sun and exploded it with his ass cheeks they would say it's of incredible artistic value 🙄

Ha! There are definitely some bands out there whose fans have turned me off, but Radiohead is definitely not one of them. My sister gave me OK Computer and The Bends on CD when I was in high school, but they didn't click then, and I haven't put much effort in since, to be honest. Though I listened to A Moon Shaped Pool a lot the year it came out and revisit it once in a while, I haven't spent much time with the "big" albums, though I think it'll happen eventually that we click.

Holy Shit...I am OLD!

I will say, 'Ode to Joy' has grown on me a great deal since those first few listens. That said, I too may need to respectfully disagree at the moment. The top 4 slots are not up for debate, and the #5 spot is usually secured by a rotation of 'Star Wars' and 'Sky Blue Sky'. Nonetheless, I could see 'Ode to Joy' working its way in there...it's a grower for sure.

1) A Ghost is Born
2) Being There
3) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4) Summerteeth
5) Star Wars
6) Sky Blue Sky
7) Ode to Joy
8) Schmilco
9) The Whole Love
10) A.M.
11) Wilco (the album)
Mine would go...
1) YHF
2) Summerteeth
3) A Ghost Is Born
4) Being There
5) Sky Blue Sky
6-11) everything else

but I think you could make an argument for 1-4 in any order.

I knew I'd done this before ...

Oo, I'll do my take on Wilco. At least one controversial take in here.

1. Summerteeth
2. The Whole Love
3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4. Being There
5. A Ghost is Born
6. A.M.
7. Sky Blue Sky
8. Schmilco
9. Star Wars
10. Wilco (The Album)
This is from the "Rank the Albums" thread, pre-Ode to Joy. I'd probably rearrange the entire second half of this list today.

I feel like Radiohead is a band I should like and someday probably will end up liking but anytime I've tried I just didnt "get it". The ridiculous fanboys are extremely off putting too they seem to be so engaged in Thom Yorke that if he farted into a Capri Sun and exploded it with his ass cheeks they would say it's of incredible artistic value 🙄

I’m kinda one of them, literally The King of Limbs is the only Radiohead/Yorke things I’ve heard that I’m not keen on and I actually like half the tracks off it even...

Radiohead fan boys can be patronising shits but there is an equally annoying strain of anti-intellectualism in parts of the UK music scene/press that shits on them just because they’re a bit different to all the other britpop stuff that came out around the same time as them.

Bearded Dad Rock.

In all seriousness, I think they're a strong contender for best of the last 25, certainly a Top 10 rock group during that period. The aforementioned albums of Z, At Dawn, and It Still Moves are great, but my favorite is the live album, Okonokos. Love that one.

Ok listening to Okonokos now and it's damn good.

Thanks

I think that's why I stayed away. There were always the odd songs that I liked. Burn the witch comes to mind however couldn't get into them.

I’m kinda one of them, literally The King of Limbs is the only Radiohead/Yorke things I’ve heard that I’m not keen on and I actually like half the tracks off it even...

Radiohead fan boys can be patronising shits but there is an equally annoying strain of anti-intellectualism in parts of the UK music scene/press that shits on them just because they’re a bit different to all the other britpop stuff that came out around the same time as them.

Oh shit, you reminded me of Coldplay™ 🤢

After Viva la Vida they are unlistenable.

Back