Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Wait, which one?

Things Fall Apart.. I actually joked how prophetic the title was because it was literally the Roots falling apart on record.

Yeah it was hyped up as the record that was gonna save hip hop, and it was a big disappointment. I always liked it, but compared Do You Want More? and Illadelph it was really underwhelming. It has aged well though and I’d put it in their top 5 at this point in time.

This, so overwhelmingly this. People love it in hindsight but there were a lot of rap people who were very disappointed with that record when it dropped (I know I was far from the only one)

Things Fall Apart.. I actually joked how prophetic the title was because it was literally the Roots falling apart on record.

This, so overwhelmingly this. People love it in hindsight but there were a lot of rap people who were very disappointed with that record when it dropped (I know I was far from the only one)
I really like Things Fall Apart (and everything before), but everything that followed never resonated with me at all like their earlier releases did.

Yeah it was hyped up as the record that was gonna save hip hop, and it was a big disappointment. I always liked it, but compared Do You Want More? and Illadelph it was really underwhelming. It has aged well though and I’d put it in their top 5 at this point in time.

Interesting. I didn't really get into The Roots until probably 2005, so I missed that hype. I think I'd put it over DYWM but it depends on the mood. I think DYWM is weirdly underrated on a lot of modern lists ranking Roots albums.

For me I feel like Illadelph, Game Theory, and TFA are my top three but it has been a long time since I have spent a ton of time with the others.

Not sure if I want to sign back up for VMP,. If I don't, I hope Phrenology gets a general release.

I really like Things Fall Apart (and everything before), but everything that followed never resonated with me at all like their earlier releases did.

TFA really put me off them for a while but I generally liked their singles. It wasn't really until maybe Rising Down that I got back into their records so maybe that's why I rank it so high?

Interesting. I didn't really get into The Roots until probably 2005, so I missed that hype. I think I'd put it over DYWM but it depends on the mood. I think DYWM is weirdly underrated on a lot of modern lists ranking Roots albums.

For me I feel like Illadelph, Game Theory, and TFA are my top three but it has been a long time since I have spent a ton of time with the others.

Not sure if I want to sign back up for VMP,. If I don't, I hope Phrenology gets a general release.

Illadelph is definitely the best, I don't see how anyone can argue that. It really is their high point. I think everything after that is where it gets murky. DYWM is fantastic though and I agree, it generally (as well as Illadelph) gets overlooked by fans who got into them later on..

Nothing to really add, but I’m psyched for Phrenology as well.
It’s special to me being one of the first hip hop albums I bought over 15 years ago!
And it STILL holds up incredibly well. 👌

Love “Sacrifice” and “ Water.”
“Water” is so damn funky.
About to be groovin’ hard once this lands.

So random fun fact, for anyone whose non-vinyl interests mirror my own. Last year I made a rom hack for the SNES game EarthBound using hip hop beats:

The final boss fight with Giygas will sound quite familiar if you’re a fan of “Water”... particularly the song’s second half 😉

Anything on ROIR tapes? Trying to think of something that never made it to LP.

How about The Screamers?

The Screamers were a band formed amongst the first wave of L.A punk acts to sweep the American West Coast in the mid-1970s. Originally called The Tupperwares, the band, confronted by legal threats, changed their name to The Screamers in 1976.
Progenitors of the nascent ‘synthpunk’ scene, The Screamers were known for their unusual instrumentation; utilizing an electric piano and synthesizer whilst ignoring conventional apparatus such as guitars. The band never released a recording, though several live bootlegs have since been collated into compilations.

Awesome stuff

...and then there's people like me, who discovered them with this album. And it caused me to re-evaluate everything, rabbit-holing me into the genre in a way that Busta Rhymes and Puff Daddy did not. [And still haven't... Busta has skills, but is spotty at best with albums... and I fucking hate Diddy.]

...and then there's people like me, who discovered them with this album. And it caused me to re-evaluate everything, rabbit-holing me into the genre in a way that Busta Rhymes and Puff Daddy did not. [And still haven't... Busta has skills, but is spotty at best with albums... and I fucking hate Diddy.]

And that's totally fair too.. I don't want to come across as gatekeepy as I'm sure I tend to do sometimes with the rappity rap.. Just giving my perspective as someone who was a long time Roots fan who owned all their records up until that point. Hell, You Got Me was such an amazing single too. The rest of the album just did nothing for me.

Just got shipping notices for all 3 tracks. Separate emails for each one but all with the same tracking number. Guess I'll have to email them about the Sonny Rollins I never received.
Godspeed. I have been waiting over 2 weeks for a response. That Sonny Rollins album is fire if its Saxophone Colossus.

And that's totally fair too.. I don't want to come across as gatekeepy as I'm sure I tend to do sometimes with the rappity rap.. Just giving my perspective as someone who was a long time Roots fan who owned all their records up until that point. Hell, You Got Me was such an amazing single too. The rest of the album just did nothing for me.
Step Into The Realm is one of my all time favorite Roots songs... man, I forgot how good Malik B was.

might as well throw Rahzel in there too

I mean, I love Rahzel but he gets a little one note after a while. Maybe cause I've seen them live (so many times) with Rah that I'm just sorta completely over him. He is cool and all, I have a drop he did for me from like 21 years ago or so? (Got typing that made me feel old)

Back when I was in High School me and some friends went up to DePaul on a college visit and sitting around In the bookstore reading the school paper and they had a review of Things Fall Apart. I was unfamiliar with The Roots at that point but the idea behind a live band as part of a hip-hop group really piqued my Interest. I made my friends swing by Virgin Mega Store on our way out of Chicago to pick it up. I listened to the album a ton for the rest of my high school years and have loved it ever since. The rest of their discography is very good to great but the only full album I come back to regularly is Things Fall Apart.

Step Into The Realm is one of my all time favorite Roots songs... man, I forgot how good Malik B was.

This one is great I love the production how it keeps fading out like almost a false ending only to explode back into play. "Hip-Hop is the Love of My Life" "Adrenaline" "100% Dundee" "The Next Movement""Don't See US"are all great too, such a brilliant album!

Back