Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I think Phrenology is the perfect pick too! 🧠💎

Phrenology has a wonderful balance of hard-hitting beats, sexy and soulful sounds, poetic and abstract kind of melodies and dirty funky rhythms that are super catchy! There’s so much attention to detail musically and lyrically on this record, so it’ll be a record that will get many spins! 🔁

Somehow, Phrenology is contemporary and intellectual, yet is street and urban! It’s a 10/10 release and I think it is going to be a hard Essentials ROTM of 2020 to beat! 🏆
We are definitely on the same wave length here buddy! Im already thinking it will be hard to beat IMO as well. I spun my original copy last night for the first time in ages and was really impressed with the diversity of songs on there. Theres standard hip hop tracks mixed in with soul, funk, beat music etc.

Even if it does get a general release I like the fact that they have put the extra effort in by funking up the jacket with the gold trim etc (which I doubt they would do with a standard press). Looking forward to this one for sure!

We are definitely on the same wave length here buddy! Im already thinking it will be hard to beat IMO as well. I spun my original copy last night for the first time in ages and was really impressed with the diversity of songs on there. Theres standard hip hop tracks mixed in with soul, funk, beat music etc.

Even if it does get a general release I like the fact that they have put the extra effort in by funking up the jacket with the gold trim etc (which I doubt they would do with a standard press). Looking forward to this one for sure!
You are by far the biggest The Roots fan I know out there! Everytime in Woob_Woob’s “Albums of The Year” thread, you would place The Roots at #1 for album of the year 😂😂

I remember I called you out on putting Organix as the best album of 1993, being like “Are you for real Selaws?!?” Hahaha! and I even remember you putting How I Got Over as the best album of 2010 and I was like “Of course”! 😂😂

I am so keen to get a copy of this! I can’t wait to blast the The Seed (2.0) on my speakers and pretend I’m an indie, white collar worker living in the city, who loves having a great time at festivals 😂😂

And I also can’t wait to do break-dancing moves in my head when the tracks “Rolling With Heat” and “Thought @ Work” play! 😂😂

This ROTM is actually going to be everything!!! I’m going to be obsessed with it, I can just tell! 😇

You are by far the biggest The Roots fan I know out there! Everytime in Woob_Woob’s “Albums of The Year” thread, you would place The Roots at #1 for album of the year 😂😂

I remember I called you out on putting Organix as the best album of 1993, being like “Are you for real Selaws?!?” Hahaha! and I even remember you putting How I Got Over as the best album of 2010 and I was like “Of course”! 😂😂

I am so keen to get a copy of this! I can’t wait to blast the The Seed (2.0) on my speakers and pretend I’m an indie, white collar worker living in the city, who loves having a great time at festivals 😂😂

And I also can’t wait to do break-dancing moves in my head when the tracks “Rolling With Heat” and “Thought @ Work” play! 😂😂

This ROTM is actually going to be everything!!! I’m going to be obsessed with it, I can just tell! 😇
Great memory there Nathan! Yeah they seem to just tick all the boxes in what I look for in music. Really funky, fantastic music, and some really cleaver wordplay.

I read Questloves autobiography a while back and he mentioned that during the 90's/early 2000's a journalist was writing an article on the sexism and degrading lyrics within hip hop. Supposedly this journalist picked through all the Roots songs and couldn't find a single example of them degrading women, and he rang Questlove to tell him as they were the only artist the journalist came across that didn't include sexism within one of their songs. I have never checked through myself but I certainly cannot think of an example to prove this wrong. Just goes to show that it isn't needed and the music doesn't benefit from having that kind of negativity. I guess I really like their approach to music as a result of this, its a good work ethic to have.

Oh man, The Seed (2.0) is such a jam, I played it three times back to back last night 🤣

Phrenology is an outstanding pick imo. I cant wait to get my hands on this & El-P, February is an excellent month for me personally 👌🏼🔥
Mmmmmmmm 100% agree! February is such a great month for me personally too! I’m so keen to get my hands on The Roots and El-P as well! Crossing my fingers that we get some exclusives to go with at least one of those ROTM’s!!! 🤞

Do we know for a fact that its EL-P or is it based on the clues?
As Nathan said below. I seen El-P confirm he was doing something with VMP on twitter myself. Storf confirming it is second hand news I got from a lot of other people on here
I was confirmed through his tweet on Twitter! The tweet has been deleted, but Storf also said that February will be a great month for EL-P fans!!!

Illadelph
Do You Want More?!
Rising Down
Game Theory
I think Phrenology may take this spot or it may just because it's the one I don't have
Or Tipping Point if not Phrenology
Things Fall Apart
and the rest is sorta a toss up
Surprised to see Things Fall Apart so low, but this makes me want to revisit Rising Down.

I'll probably wait until the last minute to decide whether or not to include the $23 add-on sub for Caroline Rose.

Thing is for me, this ends up being cheaper than paying $20 + shipping to Canada elsewhere.

I'll want to see if they recover from the shit-fan impact of the holidays before committing too much.

The other option will be to pick up the indie variant at my local when it releases. That should run me around the same cost as the VMP.

In the end, it may also boil down to which variant I prefer.

First world problem, basically.

FWIW Phrenology is in my top three and likely their “most popular” album

My favorite Roots album. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that it's Questlove's fave too.
Anyway I've been waiting a long time for this to be reissued. I think the vinyl me please version looks pretty good so far. And it'll be nice to get one that's not a couple hundred dollars.

Nothing to really add, but I’m psyched for Phrenology as well.
It’s special to me being one of the first hip hop albums I bought over 15 years ago!
And it STILL holds up incredibly well. 👌

Love “Sacrifice” and “ Water.”
“Water” is so damn funky.
About to be groovin’ hard once this lands.

I actually have never listened to a root Album besides how I got over and undub.. both feeling a bit too safe and dad rappy... Personally I prefer my lyrical stuff more emotionally existential (I'm an emo kid so it's hard) and the beats didn't truly hot hard and pound. Phrenology definitely made me more interesting

It's bumps in the whip

Yeah I know it's heresy to still support vmp.. but eh I still take good records, especially since I've been way too lucky

Upon it's release, I thought it was by far the worst, most sell-out Roots record I had heard. It has since grown on me
Yeah it was hyped up as the record that was gonna save hip hop, and it was a big disappointment. I always liked it, but compared Do You Want More? and Illadelph it was really underwhelming. It has aged well though and I’d put it in their top 5 at this point in time.

Back