Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It was pressed at the time but expensive and hard to find now. There are also a bunch of bootlegs available too so beware when buying. Needs a repress. I bet it gets an overpriced RSD release someday
I would buy an overpriced RSD repress limited to 20,000 copies world wide only $29.99 (though, listed for $150 on eBay Two days prior to the release).

Last edited:
See, while this was nice for you, what very likely happened is that those records were intended for someone else. So it worked out on your end, but someone potentially got screwed over.

Not unlike the recent case where someone reported getting 6 copies of Beck's Hyperspace (they ordered none) and then later that day people started to receive cancellation notices about their Beck orders.
Oh, I understand that someone probably did get screwed over on that. I contacted VMP about it and offered to send them back because of this They told me to keep them and they'd "take care of anyone who missed out". Of course I have no way to verify that they did...

They played Phoenix, Opera House and Guvernment at different times? I think DYWM was at maybe the Guvernment? So not 100% sure on that one but I think I missed that one and was at their next show for Illadelph.
Yeah I can't figure out which one it was but I'm 95% sure it was at The Opera House, definitely not Guvernment. But I can't find any dates online. Anyhow, it was sick.

Yeah I can't figure out which one it was but I'm 95% sure it was at The Opera House, definitely not Guvernment. But I can't find any dates online. Anyhow, it was sick.

I found this...

Not sure if it is the show you are looking for but it is close to the date. They didn't have in Canada dates listed in the database for 1995 but it's pretty likely not all the shows are accounted for.

EDIT: Nevermind. This appears to be a show where they were opening for the Fugees.

I found this...

Not sure if it is the show you are looking for but it is close to the date. They didn't have in Canada dates listed in the database for 1995 but it's pretty likely not all the shows are accounted for.
Yes thanks I did find that but I'm almost certain it was the Opera House which is a smaller venue, I suspect it was either shortly before or shortly after that show. I really should have kept a record of that stuff...

I found this...

EDIT: Nevermind. This appears to be a show where they were opening for the Fugees.

Opening for The Fugees! The Roots use to open for everyone. I saw The Roots twice in '97 opening on The Smokin' Grooves tour (George Clinton, Cypress Hill & Erykah Badu - They backed her up if I remember right) in the summer and then opening for Rage Against the Machine in the Fall. And then a couple years later, they were the opening act at the Area One tour with Moby and Outkast.

(Ok, enough reminiscing about shows from 20 years ago, I feel old.)

Opening for The Fugees! The Roots use to open for everyone. I saw The Roots twice in '97 opening on The Smokin' Grooves tour (George Clinton, Cypress Hill & Erykah Badu - They backed her up if I remember right) in the summer and then opening for Rage Against the Machine in the Fall. And then a couple years later, they were the opening act at the Area One tour with Moby and Outkast.

Oh then it definitely wasn't the Phoenix show, they headlined the show I saw, maybe it was 96.

Dont want to make you guys feel old but I had just started primary school in the mid 90's, but I would LOVE to get a time machine to go back and see 90's era Roots live.

I did see them at Somerset House in London in 2018 and its still up there as one of my favourite gigs, they absolutely nailed it. I was lucky enough to be at the front and I turned around at one point and the crowd were going wild, completely loving it.

Last edited:
Dont want to make you guys feel old but I had just started primary school in the mid 90's, but I would LOVED to get a time machine to go back and see 90's era Roots live.

I did see them at Somerset House in London in 2018 and its still up there as one of my favourite gigs, they absolutely nailed it. I was lucky enough to be at the front and I turned around at one point and the crowd were going wild, completely loving it.
Yeah, I was in middle school in ‘95. I didn’t wanna say anything though.

Yeah, I was in middle school in ‘95. I didn’t wanna say anything though.
Now I feel bad.

giphy.gif

Dont want to make you guys feel old but I had just started primary school in the mid 90's, but I would LOVED to get a time machine to go back and see 90's era Roots live.

To make myself feel properly old, I was introduced to The Roots by a friend who was a year ahead of us in school. So, during our Senior year of high school, while he was in college in New York, he mailed a friend and me in Tacoma a CD of Do You Want More?!!!??!, right after its release. We loved it, but it also still being even before widespread dial-up internet, we were stuck with that & only that until Illadelph :LOL:

I got my dirty projectors but noticed there was something... Different with the box...

As in it was obvious there was another shipping address put on before it

It was directed to someone else (probably randomly given to them and returned) then had my address slapped onto it

Wtf saddle creek

I got my dirty projectors but noticed there was something... Different with the box...

As in it was obvious there was another shipping address put on before it

It was directed to someone else (probably randomly given to them and returned) then had my address slapped onto it

Wtf saddle creek
Well they either caught it before they sent out the package or, like you said, it was a return and they reused the mailer. I’m 100% ok with the latter too. I always try to reuse mailers so long as they aren’t trashed. I think everyone should too. (RRR)

Serious Question:
Are The Roots the best band of the past 25 years?
(I define "best" as a combination of popularity, longevity, critical acclaim, technical ability, and lasting impact on music.)

The only other band I can think that has those things is Radiohead, although Radiohead is in a genre (rock) on the decline, vs The Roots who were in a genre (Hip Hop) on the rise in popular music that coincided with their accent.

Curious on other folks thoughts.

Serious Question:
(I define "best" as a combination of popularity, longevity, critical acclaim, technical ability, and lasting impact on music.)

The only other band I can think that has those things is Radiohead, although Radiohead is in a genre (rock) on the decline, vs The Roots who were in a genre (Hip Hop) on the rise in popular music that coincided with their accent.

That's a mighty fine question 👌🏼 I need to think on it but you might be right here 🤔

Serious Question:

Gut Response: No. They are certainly on the list those ripe for discussion, but no.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Genre on the Decline" - not saying you are wrong, but I can't filter that into the analysis without more clarity on what exactly that means.

Also does the band HAVE to be still active - or is that just ONE factor int eh equation?
That would dictate the Answer too.

Assuming we are talking about bands, active or defunct, based ONLY On their output from 1995 forward here is the list of Bands off the top of my head that would be above the Roots on that list in no particular order:
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • Beastie Boys
  • Wilco
  • Tribe Called Quest
  • The Flaming Lips
  • Godspeed You Black Emperor

Gut Response: No. They are certainly on the list those ripe for discussion, but no.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Genre on the Decline" - not saying you are wrong, but I can't filter that into the analysis without more clarity on what exactly that means.

Also does the band HAVE to be still active - or is that just ONE factor int eh equation?
That would dictate the Answer too.

Assuming we are talking about bands, active or defunct, based ONLY On their output from 1995 forward here is the list of Bands off the top of my head that would be above the Roots on that list in no particular order:
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • Beastie Boys
  • Wilco
  • Tribe Called Quest
  • The Flaming Lips
  • Godspeed You Black Emperor
I think for purposes of this discussion it's more helpful to separate "group of musical artists" from "band." As in, no disrespect to the artistic and cultural contributions of Beastie Boys and ATCQ, but I wouldn't classify them as bands per se.

And in my mind, Nine Inch Nails = Trent Reznor if you're talking about studio output. Nine Inch Nails is only a band in a live setting, IMO.

Back