Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Bitte Orca is a great album and while I'm sure has been readily available in the past, my searching today indicates getting a new and sealed copy will run close to the subscription price and it's not available many places. So I'm fine with that as the choice. The choices in the other two tracks were quite poor. I'd echo that Hancock would have been better served with a dozen other albums of his and I'll just refrain from commenting about the NERD choice all together since I have nothing nice to say about it.

I agree with this and I think Bitte Orca is a legitimately essential album. It's definitely available but not supremely cheap, so the packaging/possible mastering might make this worthwhile. I'll probably still sit this one out since I have it, but for anyone on the fence, it's a really good album.

I agree with this and I think Bitte Orca is a legitimately essential album. It's definitely available but not supremely cheap, so the packaging/possible mastering might make this worthwhile. I'll probably still sit this one out since I have it, but for anyone on the fence, it's a really good album.

It´s 18$ from the Domino us store.

There's an exclusive to go along with this record, I'm thinking maybe the new live album? I'll probably cop that at my local before rolling the dice with VMP!

If someone wants a broader sense of 2000's indie rock, then it's a good representation. Beyond that, Dirty Projectors as a whole fail to qualify as essential. They're fine.

If someone wants a broader sense of 2000's indie rock, then it's a good representation. Beyond that, Dirty Projectors as a whole fail to qualify as essential. They're fine.
I would say that Bitte Orca is the most essential of their albums and very representative of the late 2000s indie scene - more so than Phoenix to be honest. I think it's a solid choice

About to Die would of been a better pick. 2000's indie rock has a literal mountain of better picks when it comes to representation of that time. This is my opinion though. I also don't find this pick enticing at all and in need of a "definitive" VMP pressing. This is a slow month for sure.

About to Die would of been a better pick. 2000's indie rock has a literal mountain of better picks when it comes to representation of that time. This is my opinion though. I also don't find this pick enticing at all and in need of a "definitive" VMP pressing. This is a slow month for sure.
Agreed. This for me is the weakest month in a long time, I welcome them though. Been trying to scoop up Celia & Johnny and Jim Sullivan in swaps past couple months, next month will be my chance. Weeee

this is a tough look... but i expect the packaging to be pretty nice...hopefully
$25.25 with shipping domestically, so near a wash with the VMP edition.
I really like the album and don't have it, so i might swap classics for it if i like the package and nothing interesting is in swaps

I'd never heard Bitte Orca before, which is pretty astonishing since I remember it being an indie darling at the time. Having listened to it now it is really very good, which is great because newer Dirty Projectors hasn't really appealed to me.
There’s a reason for that. After this release members of the group started leaving, Angel Deradoorian after Bitte Orca and Amber Coffman after Swing Lo Magellan. I think they were a sweetener counter to Longstreth’s abrasiveness.

I tried to find the video Questlove shot of the backstage after a Fallon performance blowing everyone’s minds with their vocal gymnastics but was unable. So here is a different live video that kinda shows off the same thing.

Last edited:
There’s a reason for that. After this release members of the group started leaving, Angel Deradoorian after Bitte Orca and Amber Coffman after Swing Lo Magellan. I think they were a sweetener counter to Longstreth’s abrasiveness.

I tried to find the video Questlove shot of the backstage after a Fallon performance blowing everyone’s mindswith their vocal gymnastics but was unable. So here is a different live video that kinda shows off the same thing.

The backup vocals are definitely a signature sound on Bitte Orca. It just never felt the same after they left.

Bitte Orca is an album that I think clearly fits the art rock label, so I find it a bit funny that some people in here are basically calling it generic indie rock of that time period. If you want that then you'll have to wait for the Head and the Heart first album VMP release.

Bitte Orca is an album that I think clearly fits the art rock label, so I find it a bit funny that some people in here are basically calling it generic indie rock of that time period. If you want that then you'll have to wait for the Head and the Heart first album VMP release.
If VMP puts out any additional DP albums especially Rise Above, Swing Lo Magellan, or Mount Wittenberg Orca I may have to sign back up.

Back