Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I disagree. Both are good albums but Rated R IMO is a succinct breezy listen. SFTD is a bit overlong and drags a bit. I am not gonna besmirch anyone’s preference but song for song I would take Rated R every day of the week and twice on Sunday over SFTD.

Yeah this. Rated R works for me as an album much better, it has a great flow and the songs work well together. It also has Lost Art, Feelgood Hit, In The Fade and Better Living which are all standout tracks for me.

I love Songs For The Deaf too and it definitely has their strongest singles on it but despite, or perhaps because, of the use of the radio vignettes it doesn’t hang together as well as an album.

It might also have something to do with when you discovered them too, I saw them live a couple of weeks before Rated R came out and they blew 17 year old joe away!

Last edited:
I like this SFTD v Rated R debate. I’ve been wondering which one I should go for (don’t think I want both)

I had the Rated R CD so naturally lean towards that but maybe it would be good to go for something new.

Take the reissues out of the equation and treat yoself to the ...Like Clockwork special edition. It’s their best album by a country mile and I know longer-standing fans disagree because it’s not like the old Queens but it is where they perfected their craft IMO. As an album, start to finish, it’s absolutely killer. As Joe states above though, it’s where I jumped on board with them and I totally agree that this plays a part in listeners’ favourites from a canon.

Take the reissues out of the equation and treat yoself to the ...Like Clockwork special edition. It’s their best album by a country mile and I know longer-standing fans disagree because it’s not like the old Queens but it is where they perfected their craft IMO. As an album, start to finish, it’s absolutely killer. As Joe states above though, it’s where I jumped on board with them and I totally agree that this plays a part in listeners’ favourites from a canon.

Funnily enough that’s the only one in their cannon that never fully clicked but then it came out at a point in my life where I wasn’t really listening to that type of music and I maybe didn’t give it my full attention. I’ve just ordered it and Lullabies to Paralyse from amazon (the only two other than songs for the deaf that I didn’t have on vinyl) and they should be here next week. I’ll have to give it some proper consideration because it appears to be the one QOTSA album where my opinion is a bit obtuse.

Funnily enough that’s the only one in their cannon that never fully clicked but then it came out at a point in my life where I wasn’t really listening to that type of music and I maybe didn’t give it my full attention. I’ve just ordered it and Lullabies to Paralyse from amazon (the only two other than songs for the deaf that I didn’t have on vinyl) and they should be here next week. I’ll have to give it some proper consideration because it appears to be the one QOTSA album where my opinion is a bit obtuse.

I love it. It's dark, it's brooding, the songwriting and lyrics are top notch and the musicianship is well beyond what I associate their earlier stuff with and as an album, the production and flow is just perfect. Hope it clicks.

I love it. It's dark, it's brooding, the songwriting and lyrics are top notch and the musicianship is well beyond what I associate their earlier stuff with and as an album, the production and flow is just perfect. Hope it clicks.

it probably will, I like enough of all of their other stuff, it was just one of those things that it came out when I was back in college pretending to be a teenager again in my early 30s and wasn’t really listening to that type of rock. I probably listened to it twice and forgot about it back then.

I found out about QotSA with SFTD, but Rated R and Like Clockwork are my favourites. That being said, I want them all, because I really like all of their releases, even Villains. I like that they (well Homme mainly) are able to keep evolving from pure stoner to other sounds.

I also can't get enough of Mark Lanegan from that era, from his solo work (Bubblegum, Field songs mainly), with Isobel Campbell (please someone reissue those, they are way too pricey right now) or the two albums with Soulsavers (also, in dire need of an affordable reissue).

If you are using Spotify, the album doesn’t start with a song for the deaf like it does on the streaming version. One of the skits references Millionaire before a different song, but I think that was how it originally was (now that I think about it.)

I'm listening to SFTD for the first time in like 15 years and am realizing I strongly dislike QOTSA and will definitely swap. I just can't see myself ever listening to it again despite Dave Grohl's drumming (the reason I bought the used CD back in the day). I'm glad many people will get their white whale, though!

Stereogum says SOTD has the most best songs in the QOSTA catalog.
Not sure how/if anyone should use this information...but here it is:

Stereogum says SOTD has the most best songs in the QOSTA catalog.
Not sure how/if anyone should use this information...but here it is:

Thats a pretty okay list. In My Head should definitely be swapped with something from ...Like Clockwork and while 3's and 7's is one of my favorite songs I don't think its better then the likes of Headache, If Only, Burn the Witch or even Battery Acid.

I'm listening to SFTD for the first time in like 15 years and am realizing I strongly dislike QOTSA and will definitely swap. I just can't see myself ever listening to it again despite Dave Grohl's drumming (the reason I bought the used CD back in the day). I'm glad many people will get their white whale, though!

Definite swap or cancel for me. Not something i need to own.

Last edited:
Damn, Dave Grohl on drums at Berbati's Pan in Portland was nuts. Place maybe held 200 people. That band can really get after it either way. They were great as Iggy's backing band a couple years back too.

I found out about QotSA with SFTD, but Rated R and Like Clockwork are my favourites. That being said, I want them all, because I really like all of their releases, even Villains. I like that they (well Homme mainly) are able to keep evolving from pure stoner to other sounds.

I also can't get enough of Mark Lanegan from that era, from his solo work (Bubblegum, Field songs mainly), with Isobel Campbell (please someone reissue those, they are way too pricey right now) or the two albums with Soulsavers (also, in dire need of an affordable reissue).
Agree with this, the three singer era of QOTSA is my favourite and Lanegan is super underrated, not just for his Queens contributions but also his 2000s solo and collaborative releases

Back