Vinyl Me Please Country

Bill Monroe And His Bluegrass Boys - Bluegrass ’87 makes a lot of sense for December country. Fits the one bluegrass album for 2022 need too.

That can be had for really cheap on Discogs so I am hoping it isn't that, no offense to Bill Monroe.

So I ordered Shotgun Willie during the sale and it showed up last week.

I’ve been listening to it and Honky Tonk Heroes a bunch.

Three things occur to me:
1. Any minute now my wife is going to go “for the love of god listen to one of the twelve zillion other records you own!”
2. I think the 80s and 90s Willie is so burnt in my head that I forgot how strong and good his voice used to be. (He’s sort of like De Niro or Pacino and eventually became a bit of caricature of himself - I don’t mean this as a knock just an observation)
3. I bet Waylon and Willie in the late sixties/seventies were just as frustrating to Chet Atkins as Marvin Gaye and Stevie were to Gordy when they were like “naw, I’m a do my own thing.”

New hint, five future VMP Country albums are on the Rolling Stones top 100 country albums. Could this mean it'll be Alison Krauss or Mary Chapin Carpenter (1992), Trio (1987) and Johnny Paycheck (1977)?

Last edited:
New hint, five future VMP Country albums are on the Rolling Stones top 100 country albums. Could this mean we'll get Alison Krauss or Mary Chapin Carpenter (1992), Trio (1987) and Johnny Paycheck (1977)?

Yeah if they're all on the list, and you keep one bluegrass, that points to Alison Kraus/Johnny Paycheck/Trio as the next 3 ROTMs.

New hint, five future VMP Country albums are on the Rolling Stones top 100 country albums. Could this mean it'll be Alison Krauss or Mary Chapin Carpenter (1992), Trio (1987) and Johnny Paycheck (1977)?

I'd be ok with all these, that would be a pretty good quarter.

also note the link storf gave on the discord STARTED at the miranda lambert part so that might be a suspicious clue (though it could also be a red herring)

Last edited:
Ok, that was a bit unexpected. I actually thought at least Alison Krauss and Union Station was a real possibility here, and one that might get me to consider rejoining with the current credit offer. I have NM OGs of both Johnny Paycheck and Trio though so not too bummed about those. Not really interested in Alan Jackson so that's a pass for me if it turns out to be that one. Still hope for Lucinda Williams though.

Back