Vinyl Me Please Country

I don't necessarily think there's a whole lot of filler here, it's just a layer of production that dates it horribly. And it wouldn't make it in my regular listening rotation. There's a craftsmanship to the songs and singing that's admirable and I get why it was picked. It's just a relic of it's era.
You make a valid point, but idon'tlikething.jpg. ;)

I know this was an essentials but damn, so funny how time helps your tastes develop. Hated the Townes Van Zandt pick years ago cause I disliked country but I can’t stop listening to it recently. Was very excited to grab it for $17 in the sale yesterday, Country aint so bad.
Seems like you already enjoy Jazz a great deal and now you’re digging Country. You realize what the next style of music that you’ll be “aging” into right?…

5C79DD3B-F1CF-4861-A94A-AA6D8771A0B3.gif

Seems like you already enjoy Jazz a great deal and now you’re digging Country. You realize what the next style of music that you’ll be “aging” into right?…

Just kidding. I’m very okay with becoming a Dead Head, but somebody stop me when the next step is Steely Dan.

Just kidding again, maybe.

Just kidding. I’m very okay with becoming a Dead Head, but somebody stop me when the next step is Steely Dan.

Just kidding again, maybe.

For me, it was Jonathan Richman.

Do you know how weird people look at me when I say things like "I only own about 8 Jonathan Richman albums"? They are either disappointed (my people), or confused how only = eight (gtfo).

You just have to be a real big fan of country to like this pick. I love it personally, but country is probably my favorite genre.
I'd agree with that assessment. I really like certain types of country (Outlaw, etc.) but I don't pretend like everything is in my wheelhouse and this is certainly one of those picks. I think it's an okay pick, particularly of this era. But I would advise everyone to listen to it first. It's not the no risk disc that I think the other two picks of this quarter are.

For me, it was Jonathan Richman.

Do you know how weird people look at me when I say things like "I only own about 8 Jonathan Richman albums"? They are either disappointed (my people), or confused how only = eight (gtfo).
How many Richman records do you need to qualify as a weirdo? Also do Modern Lovers records also qualify? I am up to 2 solos after RSD, I will eventually add Modern Lovers debut but I am still holding out hope of either finding a good copy of the 1986 reissue with the bonus tracks at a reasonable price or it’s eventually reissued.

How many Richman records do you need to qualify as a weirdo? Also do Modern Lovers records also qualify? I am up to 2 solos after RSD, I will eventually add Modern Lovers debut but I am still holding out hope of either finding a good copy of the 1986 reissue with the bonus tracks at a reasonable price or it’s eventually reissued.
I am only at 3 with those two recent reissues and that '86. Just missed bidding on Modern Lovers 88 although they have been a little too pricey for me. Hope Craft reissues that one next if that's possible. Or maybe Rockin' and Romance.

Modern Lovers DEFINITELY qualifies for Jonathan Richman.
Especially if you take into consideration the albums that were "Modern Lovers" albums without them being the original band. Live? Rock N Roll with the Modern Lovers? Totally Modern Lovers in name only for me.

And I am with @dhodo that Modern Lovers 88 and Rockin' and Romance should be slated next, they are fabulous.

Back