Vinyl Me Please Classics

For someone like me who’s starting to delve a lot more into jazz, what 1-3 VMP classics would you recommend? I don’t care if they’re sold out on VMP.
Donald Byrd - Street Lady. You can get a VG+ original pressing for about $20.
Art Blakey - Indestructible is a brand new BN80 that is one of his best albums
The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery These last two you can get on amazon for around $20. All three are great and from different eras and great jumping off points, too.

Donald Byrd - Street Lady. You can get a VG+ original pressing for about $20.
Art Blakey - Indestructible is a brand new BN80 that is one of his best albums
The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery These last two you can get on amazon for around $20. All three are great and from different eras and great jumping off points, too.
Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery is definitely a top album of 2019 contender. Strongly seconded.

I don't have a complete collection of Classics, but of the 16 I do currently own, here are my personal top 5:

1. Archie Shepp -- Attica Blues
2. Blossom Dearie -- Blossom Dearie
3. The Isley Brothers -- Go For Your Guns
4. Nat Turner Rebellion -- Laugh to Keep from Crying
5. Al Green -- Call Me (although Blakey is a strong contender for this spot)

Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery is definitely a top album of 2019 contender. Strongly seconded.

Co-signed. There have been some incredible new releases this year, and this is near the very top.

Quit VMP at the time of the great forum debacle, but the Art Blakey is making me sorely tempted to join again ... GAH!

Aaaaaand I've got a copy - went digging on Discogs, and discovered a new vinyl place just down the road from my house which has taken over the back half of a high end audio equipment shop. The owners tastes are *dangerously* close to mine and I for see me funding his beer habit for quite some time

Attachments

• art.jpg
    art.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 14
Back