Vinyl Me Please Classics

How many have a full set of Classics?

I had dropped out for 3 months at Carla Thomas - Alice Coltrane - Stan Getz but picked them up in the months following.

Yeah, I have the full set. I was still on Crate subscription when it started, so I wasn't allowed to sub to Classics until they switched up subscription models. Thankfully, that's before too many people understood what it was all about, so I scored relatively cheap copies of Ollie, Shepp, and Hooker on Discogs. It took a bit more effort for the next few, that are now fairly priced on the secondary market, because VMP was lazy(?) about putting up extra stock in the store & nobody knew if there even were extra copies.

So I just got my Art Blakey and this is the record that was inside.... WTF??? It's some sort of beat-up test record. Actually plays Abbey Road by The Beatles. 😖

Obviously, I contacted @info...

View attachment 17625
Uh, hang on to that... That might be a test pressing of the new Abbey Road box...

QRP pressed Freedom Rider and are also doing the Single LP Abbey Road remaster.

Last edited:
Uh, hang on to that... That might be a test pressing of the new Abbey Road box...

QRP pressed Freedom Rider and are also doing the Single LP Abbey Road remaster.

Tyler at VMP just told me the same thing... So you are right - It's pretty certain this is one of those test pressings. Too bad it's so beat-up.

Listening to freedom rider again. This is easily my favorite classic title so far, though I’ve only been in since oriental jazz. On a soft note, I’ve listened to it on both my vinyl nirvana Thorens 160 with a dynavector 20x2L and my dual 1219 with a shure v15 Iv with a jico stylus and I continue to be amazed with how close the dual comes to the Thorens.

Listening to freedom rider again. This is easily my favorite classic title so far, though I’ve only been in since oriental jazz. On a soft note, I’ve listened to it on both my vinyl nirvana Thorens 160 with a dynavector 20x2L and my dual 1219 with a shure v15 Iv with a jico stylus and I continue to be amazed with how close the dual comes to the Thorens.

Love a nicely restored Dual! Seriously underrated. You can get a very nice Dual for like half what you'd pay for a Thorens and be veeeery close I'm performance. I had a 1019 for a while, I'm always on the hunt for a nice looking early idler.

1. Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960
2. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
3. Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda

But like others have said, lots of great Tone Poet and 80th Anniversary titles. From the Tone Poets, I'd recommend (to start):

Wayne Shorter - Etc.
Lee Morgan - Cornbread
Kenny Burrell - Introducing...
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin'

I'm a few days late to the list making but here are my top 3:

1 Lafayette Afro Rock Band
2 Art Blakey
3 Blossom Dearie

4 Miles/Coltrane live in Paris

Back