Vinyl Me Please Classics

I really don't understand this. On the surface this seems to be like a great partnership. Four great albums from the legendary Latin Label Fania, mastered from the original tapes by Kevin Gray, one of the best in the business. And then they decide to press these at MRP, possibly the worst pressing plant in the world. Such a shame. Good luck getting a flawless copy.

Although, if I'm being honest with myself, if I was still a member of VMP, I would order the shit out of that bundle.

Got my Isley in today as well. Sounds amazing, really glad I stuck with this over an OG Tneck. Honestly this is practically a demo disc for showing off your system, since it’s smooth as hell, but open and clear, with tight low end. Audiophile funk for sure.

Pressing is largely quiet, and flat. Some very small fill bubbles on the last cut but barely audible even with a MicroLine stylus, so I’m not going to bother making a fuss. I do think QRP has been having a lot of fill issue recently but their formulation remains clean and pure.

Honestly this is a great record IMO, but yes I don’t fault anyone for wanting 3+3 more. Really a shame they didn’t have to budget to do both as AAA issues. That’s one thing that sucks about VMP classics, that the artists are rarely revisited after you’re just wanting more of their catalog treated the same way.

Meanwhile back on the track that can’t get its act together, I’ve finally received a replacement OutKast after 2 months just to get another gouge, this time on the flip side of the second disc! The quality gulf between the two pressings is huge IMO and something that needs to be addressed.
Well said. I only had time to spin side 1 last night, but I agree, sounds fantastic. I have some fill bubbles too, but it doesn't affect the sound. But your point about wanting more of an artists catalog is right on point, there are so many times I get something for Classics, then want more from that artists discography. Can't have it all I guess. But I will be picking up 3+3 as soon as I can.

I really don't understand this. On the surface this seems to be like a great partnership. Four great albums from the legendary Latin Label Fania, mastered from the original tapes by Kevin Gray, one of the best in the business. And then they decide to press these at MRP, possibly the worst pressing plant in the world. Such a shame. Good luck getting a flawless copy.

Although, if I'm being honest with myself, if I was still a member of VMP, I would order the shit out of that bundle.
Looks like the partnership is more Craft Recordings, who has been using MRP.

Free For All is the Art Blakey 1964 album yes? I don't know if Horace Silver technically had a 1964 release did they?

Free For All is the Art Blakey 1964 album yes? I don't know if Horace Silver technically had a 1964 release did they?

Discogs has the stereo version from 64 and the mono from 65, so yeah, FFA would probably fit. I'd be psyched if it were FFA... atually just got an original copy and while it sounds great, I'd love to compare a recent issue against it.

Discogs has the stereo version from 64 and the mono from 65, so yeah, FFA would probably fit. I'd be psyched if it were FFA... atually just got an original copy and while it sounds great, I'd love to compare a recent issue against it.
I honestly think that that is an error on Discogs. Plus that album just got the SRX treatment earlier this year from MMJ so I’d be surprised if it was Free For All.

Wasn't there just a good reissue of Free For All this year though? (was pointed out earlier in this thread)
Andrew Hill's Judgement would still fit the bill though I think. (IF you count that as a group) That one hasn't had a reissue since 2013, and those are very expensive, 2 LP sets.

Hmm I'd be happy with any of these suggestions to be honest, so I guess they can't go wrong! Unless it comes with the wrong album art and flipped labels...

Back