Vinyl Me Please Classics

Wasn't there just a good reissue of Free For All this year though? (was pointed out earlier in this thread)
Andrew Hill's Judgement would still fit the bill though I think. (IF you count that as a group) That one hasn't had a reissue since 2013, and those are very expensive, 2 LP sets.
Not sure I'd count Andrew Hill as a group.

Looks like the partnership is more Craft Recordings, who has been using MRP.

Agreed. I think most of the time VMP handles production on the main tracks, but in this case the store exclusives are probably done like most exclusives by the label themselves.

Craft did that Baez record at RTI, with Kevin Gray doing an AAA cut. Then they decided to jump the shark and use MRP for everything even the "audiophile" stuff like the John Lee Hooker AAA KG release. The rest of their stuff is mostly an assorted pile of crap mastering wise anyhow, so no loss there, but like VMP they seem to like to send expensive mastering plates off to crappy plants. Sadly the Craft brand is sucking up a lot of stuff Concorde has and they're limiting licensing to the folks who actually do it right.

If VMP is to be believed the classics should remain at QRP. I'd be curious if that Craft one uses KG or RKS.

I'm probably overthinking things, but you could make the argument that most jazz recordings are recorded by groups: Trio's, Quartet's, Quintet's etc. So I'm wondering what this hint disqualifies exactly. For instance the album A New Perspective has Donald Byrd Band and Voices billed as the artists on the cover. Would that count as a group? Or for instance Prayer Meetin' has Jimmy Smith With Stanley Turrentine ‎on the cover. You could argue that that isn't a solo artist either.

It's quite possible that this hint is pointing towards Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, but just thinking out loud here

I'm probably overthinking things, but you could make the argument that most jazz recordings are recorded by groups: Trio's, Quartet's, Quintet's etc. So I'm wondering what this hint disqualifies exactly. For instance the album A New Perspective has Donald Byrd Band and Voices billed as the artists on the cover. Would that count as a group? Or for instance Prayer Meetin' has Jimmy Smith With Stanley Turrentine ‎on the cover. You could argue that that isn't a solo artist either.

It's quite possible that this hint is pointing towards Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, but just thinking out loud here
Remember this is Storf... it's best not to over think these things. This is not meant to be disrespectful to him, just he tends to keep things simple citing Wikipedia and Discogs, which are valuable resources but do not create original content/research.
My money is on Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Freedom Rider.

Shit, if it's Freedom Rider then that might get me to sign back up for the month.
Same. 😔

So, I know I asked this before - but when is the best time to jump back in if we want to start with the September AOTM? I don't want to join too early and get August sent to me. But don't want to miss out on a hot Classic.

Same. 😔

So, I know I asked this before - but when is the best time to jump back in if we want to start with the September AOTM? I don't want to join too early and get August sent to me. But don't want to miss out on a hot Classic.

Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure if you sign up for Classics when they announce the September ROTM you'll be getting that one instead of the Isleys.

If it is Freedom Rider, I have to say that Blue Note is going ALL OUT on its Art Blakey reissues in 2019:

Free For All (MM-SRX)
A Night in Tunisia (MM-SRX)
Indestructible (BN80)
Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World (BN80)
Buhaina's Delight (BN80)
Freedom Rider (VMP)?

Also, find it interesting that the first album in the VMP Blue Note Anthology brought Blakey and Silver together: Horace Silver and Spotlight on Drums: Art Blakey - Sabu (Blue Note, 1955)

Last edited:
Back