Vinyl Me Please Classics

I think most of the jazz I listen to is from around `58 to '64....I'm still enjoying learning about that era, but maybe it's time to also listen to more from the late '60s and '70s. Any recommendations welcome!
A lot of this is fusion and some people strongly dislike that for some reason, but that is some of the best of the era in my opinion. I recommend:

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life, Red Clay
Herbie Hancock - Sextant, Head Hunters
Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear
Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction

Lots more but those are some favorites of mine.

Edit - Just noticed your cutoff was '64. If for some reason you haven't checked out Coltrane - A Love Supreme, of course that is highly recommended. I actually have kind of a big Coltrane blind spot after that one that I need to correct, I've heard the later ones are great too.
Dhodo has a great starting list. I came to jazz backwards, via fusion. I cannot recommend enough "In A Silent Way". It is in my top 3 releases of any artist/genre. Absolutely beautiful.

Also for more a soul-jazz (late 60s, early 70s) bent check out some of the other recent Blue Note reissues
  • Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues
  • Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode
  • Lonnie Smith - Think!
  • Lonnie Smith - Live at Club Mozambique
  • Grant Green - Alive

Dhodo has a great starting list. I came to jazz backwards, via fusion. I cannot recommend enough "In A Silent Way". It is in my top 3 releases of any artist/genre. Absolutely beautiful.

Also for more a soul-jazz (late 60s, early 70s) bent check out some of the other recent Blue Note reissues
  • Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues
  • Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode
  • Lonnie Smith - Think!
  • Lonnie Smith - Live at Club Mozambique
  • Grant Green - Alive
All of these awesome, readily available and cheap Blue Note 80 releases (I love this stuff and own all of these) Gotta throw in some Donald Byrd’s Ethiopian Knight too.

oh, and Lou Donaldson’s Alligator Boogaloo.

If you want to know what the Classics ROTM is this month, here you go

It's McCoy Tyner - Sahara
sahara_vinyl_store_2200x.jpg

If this is it, this would be the first classics pick I already own.
Hell of an album, butttttt I am actually considering swapping for the first time.

So, the VMP website states that Sahara was pressed at QRP, but the back of the jacket in this photo says, "Made in E.U." I thought QRP was in Kansas?

I assume this is just the standard poor quality control by their in-house graphic designer?
View attachment 53756
Since the rest of that area seems correct, I doubt it's an error. Maybe the jacket is made in the E.U? Anyone know where they are usually from? Or maybe QRP is a mistake. Unless the designer was thinking E.E.U.U.

Since the rest of that area seems correct, I doubt it's an error. Maybe the jacket is made in the E.U? Anyone know where they are usually from? Or maybe QRP is a mistake. Unless the designer was thinking E.E.U.U.

Yeah, perhaps they get their tip-on jackets printed in the EU, rather than at Stoughton Printing (which is in California), it just seems weird to add that to the back cover. I suspect it's an issue like with the Dexter Calling jacket, where they got sent a digital file and did minimal editing to make it match this reissue. It's a shame as this should be the definitive version.

Yeah, perhaps they get their tip-on jackets printed in the EU, rather than at Stoughton (which is in California), it just seems weird to add that to the back cover. I suspect it's an issue like with the Dexter Calling jacket, where they got sent a digital file and did minimal editing to make it match this reissue. It's a shame as this should be the definitive version.
Perhaps, but it would be pretty weird, since it is bordered by Craft details on both sides, to screw that up in the middle. Maybe you'll get a relatively quick answer if you ask on reddit?

Has someone uploaded the wrong months pick at VMP? Or am I missing something? The link loops back to the same homepage.

View attachment 53761

Looks like an error. That's just the Palo Alto exclusive.

Anyone else already own a copy of Sahara?

I am asking because I am listening to my copy right now which is a 2011 OJC-Milestone pressing and I have questions.
1. I have read reviews that this version may be a 1987 master, and to some sounds "compressed." Anyone have any thoughts here?
2. Near the end of "Ebony Queen," the first track on side one, all of the audio seems to, for a few seconds, shift to one side. Is this just my copy? Is this just the master? Is this a universal problem between issuings?

Please, any thoughts or experience on this would be helpful. I am trying to figure out if I need a second copy of this in my collection.

I am asking because I am listening to my copy right now which is a 2011 OJC-Milestone pressing and I have questions.
1. I have read reviews that this version may be a 1987 master, and to some sounds "compressed." Anyone have any thoughts here?
2. Near the end of "Ebony Queen," the first track on side one, all of the audio seems to, for a few seconds, shift to one side. Is this just my copy? Is this just the master? Is this a universal problem between issuings?

Please, any thoughts or experience on this would be helpful. I am trying to figure out if I need a second copy of this in my collection.
If I remember correctly, that shift on Ebony Queen is on my MFSL vinyl. Not sure what the master used for that issue was but I think that is part of the tape. It’s a little startling for sure.

A lot of the "Made In E.U." is for the jackets. Most of the time these are made by GZ....then get shipped to whatever pressing plant.

Like the Beatles Mono Box, the box and jackets were made at GZ then shipped to Optimal - or the records were shipped from Optimal to GZ for packaging.

gettyimages-459675684-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:

I also noticed that shift when listening to Sahara on Spotify the other day (and it seemed to shift back a couple songs later?) so maybe it’s in the master?

A lot of the "Made In E.U." is for the jackets. Most of the time these are made by GZ....then get shipped to whatever pressing plant.

Like the Beatles Mono Box, the box and jackets were made at GZ then shipped to Optimal - or the records were shipped from Optimal to GZ for packaging.

View attachment 53822

Seeing all these Beatles Mono boxes fills me with deep sadness knowing I didn't purchase the set all those years ago.

Back