Vinyl Me Please Classics

They have retained some serious writers with plenty of years' experience to write for some of their releases (Brubeck comes to mind). When they utilize this approach, they add legitimacy and value to the product. When an employee with what I would term limited knowledge (or at least nothing more than a brief love affair and "cram for the exam" depth of knowledge) writes these pieces, they may as well be wikipedia entries.

Honestly, I've never opened one of the books. I feel I get all the information I need from the internet when researching an album and have almost zero interest to read the included booklet. In fact, a large part of me feels like the booklet is the wrong size and can encourage warps. It should be more "album sized" to ensure it's not causing problems when placed amongst other albums.

I've got another month until my sub lapses, so...Does anyone remember or know any clues for February's Classics?
I remember storfer saying February was gonna be "one of the first punk bands" albums' that was never released on vinyl and a lot of people are convinced another pick is El-P - "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" based on a hint post on reddit that has since been deleted.

I remember storfer saying February was gonna be "one of the first punk bands" albums' that was never released on vinyl and a lot of people are convinced another pick is El-P - "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" based on a hint post on reddit that has since been deleted.
wait i thought the first punk album was going to be aprils essentials.. now im hearing that february they are announcing the next 3 months of classics but i heard they were doing that for essentials to so i dunno what is what

Oh perfect - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables is celebrating a 40th anniversary this year. Seems like a safe pick...

wait i thought the first punk album was going to be aprils essentials.. now im hearing that february they are announcing the next 3 months of classics but i heard they were doing that for essentials to so i dunno what is what
Okay, yeah I found the post, you were right about April's Essentials:
"We won't be announcing upcoming Essentials again until we announce Feb--March--April, but if you love QOTSA, April is going to be an extremely special--like, first time on vinyl--version of one of the first punk albums. There's no more Sound and Fury that I'm aware of, unfortunately. "

This was posted a month ago about Classics:
"There's a balancing act, for sure. There's a segment of the Classics audience that really ONLY wants the weird cratedigging albums, and then the group that wants deep cut BB King or Miles Davis albums. I'd say that in 2018 we went too far to the former, and 2019 was about correcting that for the latter. I think 2020 is going to be more of the same as 2019, but when we do go crate-digger, it's less left-field and more unknown/underappreciated masterpiece. I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale. We have thru July tentatively booked, with my eyes on August-October right now for locking things down."

He also states there will be another Classics Aretha in 2020:

"There's a balancing act, for sure. There's a segment of the Classics audience that really ONLY wants the weird cratedigging albums, and then the group that wants deep cut BB King or Miles Davis albums. I'd say that in 2018 we went too far to the former, and 2019 was about correcting that for the latter. I think 2020 is going to be more of the same as 2019, but when we do go crate-digger, it's less left-field and more unknown/underappreciated masterpiece. I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale. We have thru July tentatively booked, with my eyes on August-October right now for locking things down."

Thanks for digging that up.

Hard to believe anyone would consider Mr. Hands in the running for "the biggest Classics release yet" so I guess the next few may be bigger name Classics albums...but, as always, caveat emptor with anything Storf says.

Aretha will be great and most of her Atlantic catalogue could easily fit in "the biggest Classics release yet" category. Knowing my luck, they'll do Aretha Now just as my sub is about to expire.

tbh i wish they just made that crate diggers sub for those 2018 people already (can work with a ton of decades from the beginning to left field stuff from the 2000s and/or super obscure genres like bobby gaylor or polish post punk bands).. i hate the ideas they had like "make it a one year no swaps exclusive subscription"... but it would be nice to have a sub that was meant for those who really want to know some unique shit

tbh i wish they just made that crate diggers sub for those 2018 people already (can work with a ton of decades from the beginning to left field stuff from the 2000s and/or super obscure genres like bobby gaylor or polish post punk bands).. i hate the ideas they had like "make it a one year no swaps exclusive subscription"... but it would be nice to have a sub that was meant for those who really want to know some unique shit
I'd actually be okay with a one year no swaps exclusive subscription for some weird crate digger albums as long as you were told that in advance, and maybe the price was around 240 a year,

Roots for me is a no brainer . Never heard Caroline Rose before today, but I like her last album so far, I’ll pick it up. I kind of like the fact that we have no idea for classics whatsoever adds a little mystery.

What about this proto-punk band?

“Some say Los Saicos were the first band to play punk music, but mainly due to the equipment they used that made them sound loud and raw. There is a full lenght documentary about them”

Okay, yeah I found the post, you were right about April's Essentials:
"We won't be announcing upcoming Essentials again until we announce Feb--March--April, but if you love QOTSA, April is going to be an extremely special--like, first time on vinyl--version of one of the first punk albums. There's no more Sound and Fury that I'm aware of, unfortunately. "

Thanks for digging that up.

Hard to believe anyone would consider Mr. Hands in the running for "the biggest Classics release yet" so I guess the next few may be bigger name Classics albums...but, as always, caveat emptor with anything Storf says.

Aretha will be great and most of her Atlantic catalogue could easily fit in "the biggest Classics release yet" category. Knowing my luck, they'll do Aretha Now just as my sub is about to expire.

I love Aretha, and look forward to another...

But I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Etta James' Deep In The Night is a PERFECT pick for the Classics track. It's track-by-track arguably her best album with some of her best captured studio vocal performances, INCLUDING the update version of "I'd Rather Go Blind" (retitled "Blind Girl") which is the version that she kept in her repertoire for the remainder of her performing career... AND it has had only had ONE vinyl reissue since its original release, and that was only in Europe.

If anyone from VMP is reading this,

👏 MAKE 👏 THIS 👏 HAPPEN 👏 ALREADY!

Today's Classics thought is brought to you by: beer.

I have a theory that occasionally there will be exclusives to test the waters for AoTM's in different tracks.
Recently, we got Ray Charles' Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music Volumes 1 & 2.

I hope this means that one of their big gets for the year is Ray Charles' Genius + Soul = Jazz. I mean, it's been a while since we've had an Impulse album as Classics AoTM, right?

...I'll see myself out.

Today's Classics thought is brought to you by: beer.

I have a theory that occasionally there will be exclusives to test the waters for AoTM's in different tracks.
Recently, we got Ray Charles' Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music Volumes 1 & 2.

I hope this means that one of their big gets for the year is Ray Charles' Genius + Soul = Jazz. I mean, it's been a while since we've had an Impulse album as Classics AoTM, right?

...I'll see myself out.

If they have to test if Genius + Soul = Jazz would be good classics pick, they are in trouble in more ways than i thought.

If they have to test if Genius + Soul = Jazz would be good classics pick, they are in trouble in more ways than i thought.

This record already has an amazing remastered edition put out somewhat recently by Analogue Productions. I can't see them releasing this title.
That being said, I agree that if they feel the need to test a release like this, they are in trouble as this should be a no brainer.

Back