Vinyl Me Please Classics

Mine came through real quick this time around. Got it last Friday. Around 1 week in transit between shipping notice and actually having it in hand.

So I didn't notice any change with shipping to Canada on my end. Doesn't mean one didn't happen after mine shipped though.
Yeah seems quite a few of us north of the border are having the same issues as me so hopefully it's just a customs backlog...

Yeah I dunno about that, Noname Telefone is on there too but when you try to buy it says sold out. I would say most of those OMG IT'S BACK titles are not actually back, just glitches.
I asked this in the chat. They said if it lets you successfully check all the way out, you're good. We will see how accurate this actually is!

I asked this in the chat. They said if it lets you successfully check all the way out, you're good. We will see how accurate this actually is!
I was able to purchase Tical, but Paulie said on Reddit that Tical was a mistake. I'm going to let it ride and see what happens next month when it should ship. 🤷‍♂️

I really hope Blossom Dearie is legit and is sitting in the warehouse. I’m thinking chances are slim though. I honestly have no idea why I didn’t get it when it was the Classics album of the month.

Where does all of this EXTRA INVENTORY come from, though?! I imagine them just like tripping over a box, opening it and being like, "Oh, look! More Queen, Blossom Dearie and De La Soul in the same box!"

Seems that it was fairly common for records around that time? I know I have others like that, anyway. My guess is they were letting shoppers know that both versions are available?

I’ve seen catalogue numbers for both around the logo on the back and on the spine. I’ve never quite seen it like this one. It looks like someone had taken an older mono cover and superimposed the stereo information onto it.

I’ve seen catalogue numbers for both around the logo on the back and on the spine. I’ve never quite seen it like this one. It looks like someone had taken an older mono cover and superimposed the stereo information onto it.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It does replicate the original release, at least, so who knows...

Now I'm scouring my discogs to try to remember where else I've seen it like this, haha.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It does replicate the original release, at least, so who knows...

Now I'm scouring my discogs to try to remember where else I've seen it like this, haha.
Found some - stereo releases, as noted on front cover, but both mono and stereo catalog numbers on the back:
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights (this one even has the mono number on front)
The Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Smiles (this one is mono, but still has both numbers on the back)

Found some - stereo releases, as noted on front cover, but both mono and stereo catalog numbers on the back:
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights (this one even has the mono number on front)
The Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Smiles (this one is mono, but still has both numbers on the back)

randomly it looks like we’re both right actually.

look at the original mono pressing from 1964

F972D520-66C6-4D85-B649-3F530E0F5E42.jpeg45962F62-9111-4ED7-93B5-7FF88BB03BCC.jpeg

And then the stereo issue from the same year.

C30E5300-61DD-414A-BACB-463785FFE9B6.jpegDAD57579-C63C-40BC-824F-4837BF8F1020.jpeg

how lazy was that from Columbia back in 1964, just layering the stereo info onto an unedited mono sleeve! Here was me thinking it was just typical VMP lack of attention to detail!

randomly it looks like we’re both right actually.

look at the original mono pressing from 1964

View attachment 23016View attachment 23017

And then the stereo issue from the same year.

View attachment 23019View attachment 23018

how lazy was that from Columbia back in 1964, just layering the stereo info onto an unedited mono sleeve! Here was me thinking it was just typical VMP lack of attention to detail!
Yep - probably just a way for them to save $$ on printing. Use the same basic cover, then print the little "Stereo 365" logo on the top.

EDIT: What's really interesting, though, is how they shift the front cover photo up to add the Stereo logos/numbers, but on the Mono cover you can see more of the dude's legs!

Yep - probably just a way for them to save $$ on printing. Use the same basic cover, then print the little "Stereo 365" logo on the top.

But it more than just that, they’ve moved the whole front cover image down to accommodate the stereo info and they’ve shrunk the back info to fit the stereo logo and the line underneath it. So they’ve edited it a bit but not properly. Strikes me as a lazy half arsed piece of work haha!

Last edited:
But it more than just that, they’ve moved the whole front cover image down to accommodate the stereo info and they’ve shrunk the back info to fit the line stereo logo and the line underneath it. So they’ve edited it a bit but not properly. Strikes me as a lazy half arsed piece of work haha!
Jinx, re: my edit above ;)

But it more than just that, they’ve moved the whole front cover image down to accommodate the stereo info and they’ve shrunk the back info to fit the line stereo logo and the line underneath it. So they’ve edited it a bit but not properly. Strikes me as a lazy half arsed piece of work haha!
At least they didn't include scanned in ringwear on the original.

Is it just me that finds it really weird that the Dave Brubeck sleeve says both mono and stereo on it...
Seems that it was fairly common for records around that time? I know I have others like that, anyway. My guess is they were letting shoppers know that both versions are available?
The reason they used to do this is to save cost. It meant they didnt have to get 2 jackets printed and could just slot the mono or stereo into the same jacket. I have quite a few older jazz records like this and it always used to throw me off as I would see Mono then a while later see the Stereo. Always best to check labels and matrix!

Back