Vinyl Me Please Classics

What a great description for free jazz!

I have an Ornette Coleman CD that I’ve yet to get thru in full..bloody awful

I do like Bitches Brew , In A Silent Way ..love the other Coltrane album I have. But that VMP release is well nasty
I'm in the same boat. I absolutely LOVE Miles Davis electric period, but cannot for the life of me get through The Shape of Jazz to Come, or any other free jazz I've tried. I like Coltrane enough, so I sampled one track from Sun Ship, and my god, just unbearable for me.

What a great description for free jazz!

I have an Ornette Coleman CD that I’ve yet to get thru in full..bloody awful

I do like Bitches Brew , In A Silent Way ..love the other Coltrane album I have. But that VMP release is well nasty
I'm in the same boat. I absolutely LOVE Miles Davis electric period, but cannot for the life of me get through The Shape of Jazz to Come, or any other free jazz I've tried. I like Coltrane enough, so I sampled one track from Sun Ship, and my god, just unbearable for me.
now i know what to get you two for Secret Santa 2022 (but legit though i would say eric dolphys out to lunch might appeal to you as the safest kind of free jazz without a lot of the cacophany)

At last I’m not alone !

This one is definitely worth replacement roulette in my opinion. Its that good of a record.

Anyone have a preorder date (or best guess) for Dinah Washington?

If anyone has a extra, ok cond Johnnie Taylor please pm me. I hate to put my regular vmp source through return roulette.

Last edited:
Good to know about Out To Lunch, might have to give it a try some time

I'm like you in that I like electric Miles (was jamming Live-Evil the other evening) and can handle some free jazz. I don't think Sun Ship is too crazy, but I don't really feel the need to own it.

I will second Out To Lunch! It's phenomenal and easily one of my favorite jazz records.

i think sun ship is the closest i have actually been too wanting this sub.. because its probably the most experimental and purely... emotive jazz records I've heard... like what you all call noise i call artistic expression.. but its in the eye of the beholder.. i probably couldn't really get into "traditional" jazz anyway since most doesn't appeal to someone like me

i think sun ship is the closest i have actually been too wanting this sub.. because its probably the most experimental and purely... emotive jazz records I've heard... like what you all call noise i call artistic expression.. but its in the eye of the beholder.. i probably couldn't really get into "traditional" jazz anyway since most doesn't appeal to someone like me
For years Traditional jazz (Trad) was what I assumed all jazz to be so I kept completely clear from it as a result. In reality, there's so many different sub-genres within jazz that I would imagine there is something for everyone, it's such diverse music.

Replacement copy of Taylor came. Haven’t listened yet but screw those stupid buttons. Jacket has dents you can feel from the inside. If they really wanted to send them out, they should always put the smooth side facing the jacket and the clip toward the cardboard. It’s impossible for the jackets not to be damaged.

Decided to pop into a few VMP threads randomly, and I see that John Coltrane's Sun Ship is the upcoming Classics pick. Love it; I have it in my top5 John Coltrane releases. The avant-garde/spiritual side of jazz is so exciting to my ears as of recent.
I haven't seen a recent reissue outside of what VMP is offering. I would get one, but I am avoiding giving VMP another dime. I'll be on the lookout for eventual PIF offerings hopefully.

Has someone heard the divine miss dinah 5lp boxset? Because for me that would cost 50% more than the vmp 1lp. And it seems to be aaa as well

Got copy number 3 of JT... warped and cyclical pops lmfaoooooo. Thanks GZ, ya ruined the best Soul album this track has gotten in some time.

Going to try for a fourth replacement, weeeeeeeee.
yeesh. y'all have some really bad luck sometimes. hope you get a clean copy! its a great sounding pressing and i like the album more than i thought i would.

yeesh. y'all have some really bad luck sometimes. hope you get a clean copy! its a great sounding pressing and i like the album more than i thought i would.
My best sounding copy is my most warped so if they stiff me on a replacement I may have to go pander in the vinyl flat thread lol.

Finally got around to spinning wanted one soul singer and I have cracks and pops on the first track.

Quality of the record aside, holy shit this record. It's the only record I've bought in the last couple of years that really made me miss my dad, and regret he's not here to hear it, because this kind of soul is 100% centered in his wheelhouse.

Back