Vinyl Me Please Classics

This Johnnie is amazing, but I got a bum copy with scratches on it that cause pops. Have a replacement coming. First time asking for a Classics replacement in FOREVER. 👀👀👀

This Johnnie is amazing, but I got a bum copy with scratches on it that cause pops. Have a replacement coming. First time asking for a Classics replacement in FOREVER. 👀👀👀

That's a pretty good streak. I had to get 5 copies of Phineas before I got a flat one. Went through 3 of Lightnin' to get a non-warp. 2 of Johnnie. Boogaloo was my only ace since they moved Classics back to GZ. Luckily I haven't had and noise issues though, just warps probably caused by the heat or something.

That's a pretty good streak. I had to get 5 copies of Phineas before I got a flat one. Went through 3 of Lightnin' to get a non-warp. 2 of Johnnie. Boogaloo was my only ace since they moved Classics back to GZ. Luckily I haven't had and noise issues though, just warps probably caused by the heat or something.
do you have any of those spare lightnin's around.....? asking for a friend....

Not sure how Sun Ship has escaped my ears for so many years, but just finished my first listen and 100% jumping back in for this one.
i think we can safely call this the REAL most free and experimental album VMP has done for this sub...

they called "oriental jazz" a free jazz album compared to that this is practically noise

Last edited:
i think we can safely call this the REAL most free and experimental album VMP has done for this sub...

they called "oriental jazz" a free jazz albums this is practically noise
Very good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Free jazz is an interesting one. I imagine it's just too polarising for them to take the risk. With Coltrane, I imagine they will entice a few people that just see the name of a well-known musician without really listening to the music.

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Free jazz is an interesting one. I imagine it's just too polarising for them to take the risk. With Coltrane, I imagine they will entice a few people that just see the name of a well-known musician without really listening to the music.
definitely a strange-ish choice. thought this would have been the kind of thing to include in the VMP Anthology box, so now I wonder what Coltrane they will put in that. Maybe they go with a much more popular album...but I'd imagine for AAA there is kind of slim picking at this point from Impulse. Between what AS is reissuing and the anthology, they probably wanted to hype the impulse catalogue and choose a popular Coltrane title but didn't have access to the huge ones outside of the anthology.

Wonder what Storf has to say about why he chose it?

"Sun Ship was actually the first John Coltrane album I ever listened to,” said VMP Classics & Country Director Andrew Winistorfer. “I had read about him, and it was the only Coltrane album available at the public library when I was like 13 or 14, so I didn’t know that this album was from his more ‘out there’ period, and that he’d even made records like Love Supreme."

oh....

definitely a strange-ish choice. thought this would have been the kind of thing to include in the VMP Anthology box, so now I wonder what Coltrane they will put in that. Maybe they go with a much more popular album...but I'd imagine for AAA there is kind of slim picking at this point from Impulse. Between what AS is reissuing and the anthology, they probably wanted to hype the impulse catalogue and choose a popular Coltrane title but didn't have access to the huge ones outside of the anthology.

"Sun Ship was actually the first John Coltrane album I ever listened to,” said VMP Classics & Country Director Andrew Winistorfer. “I had read about him, and it was the only Coltrane album available at the public library when I was like 13 or 14, so I didn’t know that this album was from his more ‘out there’ period, and that he’d even made records like Love Supreme."

oh....
In the 90s, every public library in Wisconsin was stocked with a single copy of Sun Ship. Surprised you didn't know that, Mike.

oh....
I really like this album, but would never spin it when my wife is home, so I swapped for Spirit In The Dark.

I really like this album, but would never spin it when my wife is home, so I swapped for Spirit In The Dark.
yea--it's a streamer for me! Spirit in the Dark is excellent. One of my favorite VMP releases in awhile! isn't it cheaper in store than a swap though?

lol. I love how this company sometimes just pulls facts from their asses.

I mean....they also frequently say that records haven't been reissued in decades when some of them clearly have been...they just don't count records released in any other country in the world.

yea--it's a streamer for me! Spirit in the Dark is excellent. One of my favorite VMP releases in awhile! isn't it cheaper in store than a swap though?
Oh, that's a good point. Would people swap for credit and then buy in that case? Not really trying to order more than one a month from them atm. I'm not up on best practices as I stopped subscribing for quite a while, but didn't want to drop this month to make sure I get Gravediggaz.

I guess aI am extremely lucky, my SO is a classically trained clarinetist and loves Jazz way more than I do and she has a much higher tolerance for wacky Free Jazz than I do. That being said, initially when I clicked on the Spotify sample I thought it was gonna be too much for me but later, when I revisited the album as a whole I found it to be pretty enjoyable especially Tyner’ piano and Elvin Jones drumming. So I am all in for this and think she’ll be pleasantly surprised when I pop it on the Hi-Fi.

Oh, that's a good point. Would people swap for credit and then buy in that case? Not really trying to order more than one a month from them atm. I'm not up on best practices as I stopped subscribing for quite a while, but didn't want to drop this month to make sure I get Gravediggaz.
Yeah I like the swapping for credit approach. I just do a month-to-month since I only grab the releases I think are worthy of the high cost. If you want something that you don't think will sell out right away, it actually makes more sense to swap to credit and buy from the store. So, like for Bright Eyes for example, I doubt it will sell out right away, so I'll swap for credit (like $45 on for one month) and then buy it in store a bit later for the $34 member price (double LPs are $40). Or just buy the store title you want if it's cheaper than $45.

Obviously don't try that approach for Gravediggaz though :D.

I would do the swap for credit for Aretha, then if you want another ROTM do an add-on for $33. I don't even know if Aretha is limited. saw something about it being limited to 5,000 maybe awhile back but can't seem to find it.

they called "oriental jazz" a free jazz albums this is practically noise

Agreed 100% on this, although I still feel like Sun Ship is still a fairly safe "free jazz" choice and probably about as accessible a pick in the genre as you can get.

Having a jazz musician roommate in college, I know pure noise when I hear it. :p

Back