Vinyl Me Please Classics

I don’t know how to tie a Philly soul album to Vanguard though haha!
1969 had Mourning in the Morning by Otis Rush who also released albums on Vanguard. Which seems like kind of a VMP pick—critically panned and ended up gaining a cult following later?

so would have to connect Donnie Hathaway to the philly soul album

Last edited:
1969 had Mourning in the Morning by Otis Rush who also released albums on Vanguard. Which seems like kind of a VMP pick—critically panned and ended up gaining a cult following later?
Hmm yeah that’s definitely a VMP type of pick. Never heard it before but the rhythm section features the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section plus Duane Allman!

Is it possible the Twitter hints are written well in advance — like Storf gives all the clues to the social media person at the beginning of the month — and he thought the Philly soul Anthology would’ve been announced by the time that hint dropped?

If it gets announced next week or something we may want to consider its referring to that and not Vanguard.

Is it possible the Twitter hints are written well in advance — like Storf gives all the clues to the social media person at the beginning of the month — and he thought the Philly soul Anthology would’ve been announced by the time that hint dropped?

If it gets announced next week or something we may want to consider its referring to that and not Vanguard.
Right then Teddy Pendergrass would make sense.

so would have to connect Donnie Hathaway to the philly soul album

thats the one we thought we were getting in March when it was Charlie Musselwhite. Killer album. If it’s that or Freddie King it’s a home run pick imo

Hot damn the Bill Withers sounds mighty fine!

Incredibly pleased with this one.

Yeah I been listening this weekend sounds great, was gonna try and pick up the speakers corner version of Just as I am for my full Withers fix.
Not found that pressing easy to come by in UK and now I’m actually starting to think “would I ever choose it over this album. I think it’s the superior of the 2.
Anyone know if any of the other pressings since are the same mastering ?

Annnnnd they just now teased the Philly International anthology for Tuesday. I’m leaning on the clue referencing this and not Vanguard or any other anthology.

Honestly, the picks if they are what I’m thinking, are really not intriguing me. TP is maybe the only one I’d go for but the Roberta Flack album isn’t really my thing and the blues albums (Freddie King or Otis Rush) are a little disappointing. I’ll have to listen to the choices again.

I have to be honest, all the tracks are not interesting to me so I'm out again.
I’d grab the Blues classics but was hoping for a stronger group of titles to end the year since I just resubbed for 3 months for Lee Morgan. Hoping Withers comes back into stock for swaps or something one month

October is looking like garbage all around for me. Late 70s Philly soul is all so awful to me. November and December look strong though in country and classics. Not to mention December essentials. The summer quarter was so good though that they can afford to have a solid albeit inconsistent final quarter

Back