Vinyl Me Please Classics

Hoping they jump on the impulse 60th anniversary train with one of those jazz reissues.
Don't count on it! Most Impulse master tapes and multitracks are gone. Lost in the fire. ALL of Alice Coltrane, Yusef Lateef, Archie Shepp and others are completely gone. Some Coltrane survived, but the ones that have were pretty much done on AP. There is still unreleased Coltrane, and some copies made at RVG, but not know what of those survived.

Don't count on it! Most Impulse master tapes and multitracks are gone. Lost in the fire. ALL of Alice Coltrane, Yusef Lateef, Archie Shepp and others are completely gone. Some Coltrane survived, but the ones that have were pretty much done on AP. There is still unreleased Coltrane, and some copies made at RVG, but not know what of those survived.

Acoustic Sounds seem to be able to get enough tapes to release some top quality Impulse titles. Turiya is also being released as part of the 60th anniversary and VMP have release Impulse titles in the classic series in the past. I don’t think the fire will be the problem. Probably unlikely just because impulse haven’t mentioned it in there list of 60 th celebration releases.

Probably unlikely just because impulse haven’t mentioned it in there list of 60 th celebration releases.
This is what I was thinking as well, surely they would have used it in their promo. I believe that's what Blue Note did in regards to the BN Anthology, so I would have thought Impulse would do the same.

We did get some really nice Impulse selections at the very beginning of the Classics run, (Attica Blues, It Serve You Right To Suffer, Journey In Satchidananda, Percussion Bitter Sweet) so there is clearly a relationship there.

Acoustic Sounds seem to be able to get enough tapes to release some top quality Impulse titles. Turiya is also being released as part of the 60th anniversary and VMP have release Impulse titles in the classic series in the past. I don’t think the fire will be the problem. Probably unlikely just because impulse haven’t mentioned it in there list of 60 th celebration releases.
Actually, they don't. Ray Charles comes from a more than a decade old plating. Ballads and ALS were know to have survived the fire, and a few others as well - but those are pretty much the only ones that survive. Turiya is not an Impulse or UMG property, so it is licensed from her estate. VMP Impulse have been digital sourced - Alice Coltrane, for example. Attica Blues as well.

Look at the glaring absences for clues. Why no Stan Getz - Sweet Rain - a masterpiece? No tape. Why no Ptah the El Daoud? No tape. Why no Pharoaf Sanders? There is a tape copy of Karma, but the true master is gone.

Most of the Impulse! tapes are probably toast, but there are definitely some that aren't (Out of the Cool survived because it was being used to master a reissue I believe), and some copy tapes like A Love Supreme. The Ray tapes come from the Kevin Gray master from 2011, but I think Ray owns all his tapes anyway so that one probably wasn't in the fire. Hopefully there are more Impulse tapes that are still around that VMP can get a good AAA reissue of.

Actually, they don't. Ray Charles comes from a more than a decade old plating. Ballads and ALS were know to have survived the fire, and a few others as well - but those are pretty much the only ones that survive. Turiya is not an Impulse or UMG property, so it is licensed from her estate. VMP Impulse have been digital sourced - Alice Coltrane, for example. Attica Blues as well.

Look at the glaring absences for clues. Why no Stan Getz - Sweet Rain - a masterpiece? No tape. Why no Ptah the El Daoud? No tape. Why no Pharoaf Sanders? There is a tape copy of Karma, but the true master is gone.

It feels like you have a specific set of requirements for an Impulse release in celebration of their 60th anniversary. So I doubt your need will be met.

Me, I don't think they will do anything for the reasons I stated earlier, but I would be happy with a decent pressing of Your Queen is your Reptile, or even Ptah the El Daoud mastered from a copy tape or digital source (done by the right people of course).

It feels like you have a specific set of requirements for an Impulse release in celebration of their 60th anniversary. So I doubt your need will be met.

Me, I don't think they will do anything for the reasons I stated earlier, but I would be happy with a decent pressing of Your Queen is your Reptile, or even Ptah the El Daoud mastered from a copy tape or digital source (done by the right people of course).
I think there was a recent repress (like a month ago) of Your Queen (Music Direct had it listed as awaiting repress for some time and I was able to order it last week). It may well be sounding better. One reviewer on Discogs states it sounds better actually.

My needs have been met. Long ago. NM US copies or Japanese pressings of every Impulse title I have interest in, and reissues AAA from prior to the destruction of the masters. All good.

Lots of great possibilities for August!

Perfect Angel by Minnie Ripperton is my main guess with the following being solid prospects I'd be happy with as well:

Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand The Rain
Millie Jackson - Caught Up
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information

My needs have been met. Long ago. NM US copies or Japanese pressings of every Impulse title I have interest in, and reissues AAA from prior to the destruction of the masters. All good.

Honestly don’t get your argument. You come across as a troll. I think what you are saying is that VMP couldn’t do any impulse releases as all the masters where in the fire, even though they already have done a bunch of good quality impulse releases and other companies continue to do so.

I’m happy for you that you have all AAA impulse titles, I’d be a lot more happy if a lot of those titles were made available to other people who might want them. I’m not engaging anymore, you might get the response you want over on the Hoffman thread tbh.

edit- apologies if this came across a bit harsh, definitely a bit tired and maybe reading too much into the posts.

Last edited:

thank me for my sleep schedule once I wake up at like 2 EST

I'd be ecstatic and consider re-subbing of September is Walt Dickerson Quartet's Impressions of a Patch Of Blue!
...dang Wikipedia and their wrong release years!

Search for the New Land by Lee Morgan

Last edited:
This would be spectacular
I have a SRX copy of Search For The New Land but I wouldn't even be mad if they chose it, it's such a great Lee Morgan album. The way the title track is composed into movements is really something special.

Does anyone have any guesses for that soul album? Early 70's were a prime time for the genre.

I have a SRX copy of Search For The New Land but I wouldn't even be mad if they chose it, it's such a great Lee Morgan album. The way the title track is composed into movements is really something special.

Does anyone have any guesses for that soul album? Early 70's were a prime time for the genre.
My guess for soul is Tom Brock - I love you more and more.

Back