Vinyl Me Please Classics

For those who have the Hathaway, how does it sound? The SC release and VMP release are roughly the same amount, and I wouldn't need to create another order from another vendor to get the VMP version, if Axelrod or something else more tasty isn't in Swaps.
I really like the sound of it. Some tracks are definitely better than others. Track 2 in particular doesn’t sound as good as the rest, imo.

For those who have the Hathaway, how does it sound? The SC release and VMP release are roughly the same amount, and I wouldn't need to create another order from another vendor to get the VMP version, if Axelrod or something else more tasty isn't in Swaps.
The SC is great, and is in stereo, which is how it was intended and what Hathaway would have approved. The mono is surely unique and rare, but strikes me as an afterthought. If I were looking, my first choice would be the SC stereo - which is definitive IMO.

Not that the VMP would be bad.

Thanks for this @NewsFedora. Issac Hayes is one of those musicians where I can name several of his albums and know the importance of Shaft, Hot Buttered Soul and Black Moses, but I have never actually listened to his music. Is this a good one to jump in with even though it might not be his best?

Also, are the swaps available from tomorrow, 28th?

Thanks for this @NewsFedora. Issac Hayes is one of those musicians where I can name several of his albums and know the importance of Shaft, Hot Buttered Soul and Black Moses, but I have never actually listened to his music. Is this a good one to jump in with even though it might not be his best?

IMO, you will like it fine. I am sure it will sound good. It’s similar to a typical blacksploitation Soundtracks from the 1970s. That being said, it isn’t special. Those titles you run down are special, if not genre defining albums. I don’t know if this album would inspire anyone to further explore Hayes discography like one of his great albums would but Tough Guys isn’t repulsive either. It’s fine.

Not a good place to start. You should start with those you mentioned and if you find yourself saying, "hey, I think he is a great musician/arranger but I wish he would shut up" (which is highly unlikely) then you would go to this pick. ...To Be Continued is also great.

Its just reallllly disappointing that this is the one Isaac Hayes album we will be getting on the classics track. Its actually baffling that they would pick this.

He was not an instrumental artist, his voice was iconic. The compositions and performances here are great but why choose an album where you hear his voice literally once? This is not worth the price hike at all.

Hopefully you can grab some Jazz Dispensary titles in the upcoming Swaptions! 🤞💎

All I'm missing is Sorcery! But I still need to grab Redman, so if there is no jazz dispensary/other surprises in swaps, this month is going to look like Killer Mike, Redman, and Billie Holiday.

Not a good place to start. You should start with those you mentioned and if you find yourself saying, "hey, I think he is a great musician/arranger but I wish he would shut up" (which is highly unlikely) then you would go to this pick. ...To Be Continued is also great.
tough guys1.PNG

Of course, my absolute favorite discogs reviewer in the whole world has also weighed in on Tough Guys:
tough guys2.PNG

The part that is gonna cause my eyes to roll so hard that I might hurt myself will be the inevitable write up where they describe Tough Guys and lost classic or a hidden gem or important record. I understand that is how this type of thing works but the hyperbole is gonna hurt my brain.
I know. What the write up should say is 'we couldnt afford Shaft but this one was in the price range so while it's not really what we wanted to give you... Or what you wanted... it's what we could afford. Hope you enjoy your single spin through before sticking it on a shelf never to be pulled out again'

I get not doing Hot Buttered Soul or Shaft, but man this is disappointing. It's not bad of course, but something like "The Isaac Hayes Movement" or "...To Be Continued" or "Joy" from his Stax years would have met the goals of the sub and been a much better pick. I feel like this is the album to get when you already have a dozen or so Isaac Hayes records.

Back