Vinyl Me Please Classics

View attachment 81150

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra plays on both Tough Guys and the Albert King album mentioned above. I think we got this one.

For March, Leon Ware's Musical Massage (1976, Gordy) is a strong candidate. The connection to Marvin Gaye's I Want You (co-written and co-produced by Ware) could explain the 2nd not 3rd clue.
You think we have a Memphis Symphony record?

I’m really scratching my head over this Tough Guys pick (if that’s what it ends up being).

Just... why?
I do like the album, but it does seem like an extremely random pick!

I really love that Tough Guys includes the song “Hung Up On My Baby” though, as one of the best hip-hop songs of all-time (Geto Boys’ Mind Playing Tricks) sampled that track! Glad that song is 6 minutes long too!

Still, it’s definitely quite a disappointing pick. I do have a feeling that if this Tough Guys pressing sounds incredible, that it’ll be a really enjoyable record to spin!

I’m really scratching my head over this Tough Guys pick (if that’s what it ends up being).

Just... why?
Exactly. Like I get they want to do an Isaac Hayes album, but all of his albums that are truly worthy already have solid reissues. They should just pass on an album of his and go for something better. I know some people don’t like his voice but an album without it is quite weird. Plus it’s a soundtrack and not one that seems like it can particularly stand on its own like a Superfly or The Harder They Come.

View attachment 81150

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra plays on both Tough Guys and the Albert King album mentioned above. I think we got this one.

For March, Leon Ware's Musical Massage (1976, Gordy) is a strong candidate. The connection to Marvin Gaye's I Want You (co-written and co-produced by Ware) could explain the 2nd not 3rd clue.
Ok, I think you have hit the jackpot here! Leon Ware literally made the album “I Want You”, and because Marvin Gaye loved it so much, he decided to record the songs/album! 💎🍸🍾

As a result, Leon Ware had to make another album/record a whole bunch of new songs and hence Musical Massage was created!!! 😏

It looks like we are getting Leon Ware for the March Classics ROTM!!! 😍😍😍

Tough Guys is an interesting pick. Off the radar for the most part, but bullseye on the VMP mission. I like it. Would never have even been aware of it otherwise. I want VMP to point me to stuff I haven't heard or considered, not the old warhorses. If this is the pick, I am happy!

Ok, I think you have hit the jackpot here! Leon Ware literally made the album “I Want You”, and because Marvin Gaye loved it so much, he decided to record the songs/album! 💎🍸🍾

As a result, Leon Ware had to make another album/record a whole bunch of new songs and hence Musical Massage was created!!! 😏

It looks like we are getting Leon Ware for the March Classics ROTM!!! 😍😍😍
Lots of babies will be made in March if it’s that!:LOL:

I do like the album, but it does seem like an extremely random pick!

I really love that Tough Guys includes the song “Hung Up On My Baby” though, as one of the best hip-hop songs of all-time (Geto Boys’ Mind Playing Tricks) sampled that track! Glad that song is 6 minutes long too!

Still, it’s definitely quite a disappointing pick. I do have a feeling that if this Tough Guys pressing sounds incredible, that it’ll be a really enjoyable record to spin!
I kinda like it too, and I’m sure a AAA Ryan Smith pressing will sound wonderful. But I agree that it’s kind of disappointing.

Also I don’t have any Isaac Hayes in my collection, so I feel a bit silly adding this before any of his better albums.

I kinda like it too, and I’m sure a AAA Ryan Smith pressing will sound wonderful. But I agree that it’s kind of disappointing.
But yeah, the instrumentals sound great on Tough Guys! I love the sequencing on the soundtrack too! The first track is absolute 🔥🔥🔥

A very high quality pressing of this with a great soundstage will be a treat for sure! 😍

😱😱😱

You must buy the Craft reissues of Shaft and Hot Buttered Soul! They sound wonderful and the albums themselves are glorious! Black Moses is great too but you must get Hot Buttered Soul!!! ⭐🎯
Yeah I’ve had my eye on those reissues for a while actually. I’ve only been collecting for just under two years, so I still have significant gaps in my collection.

Tough Guys is an interesting pick. Off the radar for the most part, but bullseye on the VMP mission. I like it. Would never have even been aware of it otherwise. I want VMP to point me to stuff I haven't heard or considered, not the old warhorses. If this is the pick, I am happy!
My only problem with it is their 1 artist rule , why use a mostly instrumental album as the pick for such an amazing singer.

For Isaac Hayes, they will play up the hip-hop sample big time in the booklet and make comments about how it shows a different side of him than his more well known work.

I need to get some Isaac Hayes in my collection, but this isn't where I need to start.
Famous hip hop samples are awful reasons to buy an album IMO. There are tons of amazing hip hop songs that use samples from really mediocre albums. Never heard that as any reason to sell an album before VMP. Certainly still doesn't seem like a good selling point to me.

Back