Vinyl Me Please Classics

10’s across the board! ✅🔟✅🔟✅

Buena Vista Social Club is a 10/10 ROTM pick!
The Bar-Keys is a 8.5/10 ROTM pick
Lord Finesse is a 9/10 ROTM pick

Even though a lot of exclusives aren’t a 10/10, VMP does still does at least one 10/10 ROTM every month! 💯🏆
Just out of curiosity, how would you rate their customer service..? 😁

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate their customer service..? 😁
Maybe a 5/10 overall. It’s very inconsistent in terms of response time, but they always try and make it right for you in the end. I hate how inconsistent their customer service is though with waiting times! 🕰

10/10 for the actual service provided! ✅
1/10 for the waiting times! 🥱

I am scoring VMP a 1/10 for waiting times, because they answer people’s requests/tickets straight away but don’t answer others, and can take like 5-6 weeks to answer you back, which is bullshit if they are answering others within 24 hours! So yeah, I’d give them a 5/10 for customer service! 5️⃣

What would you rate their customer service VinylGuy?

Last edited:
10’s across the board! ✅🔟✅🔟✅

Buena Vista Social Club is a 10/10 ROTM pick!
The Bar-Keys is a 8.5/10 ROTM pick
Lord Finesse is a 9/10 ROTM pick

Even though a lot of exclusives aren’t a 10/10, VMP does still does at least one 10/10 ROTM every month! 💯🏆

This isn't in reference to you, but in general, I've never understood a 10 point rating system for movies and music. Like, I feel that if someone feels anything was worth the time to listen to it is going to get a 5 by default. And then you know, most people if they hear something is a 5 or 6/10 isn't going to bother with it because it sounds shitty, so if you actually LIKE it then now you are giving it a 7 or higher. Except now 7 or 8 sounds low by comparison so people just end up giving things a 9 or 10. On everything.

No one asked or cares, but I use a 5 Star Empire-style rating system:

1- Album was trash by a trash artist and should have never been released. If you are a dedicated listener then you should never even be reviewing 1 star albums because they fall so far outside of your spectrum that you are only aware because you sought it out. People that enjoy this have wasted their lives long ago

2- Any album that is not worth a spot in your collection (or digital saved playlist-whatever for the kids). Maybe you tried it on a Stereogum heavily played and it didn't click. Maybe it's the "comeback album" by a band you loved in college that is weak. Maybe it's the flavor of the week psych-folk-jazz-hiphop-drone album from the guy who has never left his Brooklyn apartment and can't play jazz and recorded it on Mariopaint that Fantano loved but will only listen to once and you will only listen to once

3- It's worth a home in your collection, at very least digital. You dig it, you probably played this a couple times but honestly it's getting overshadowed by new releases. You'll come back to it here and there

4- It's great, it is a definitive statement from the artist and is a headlining album in their discography. It's going to be somewhere on your Album Of The Year list. You will seek out a physical copy. You will listen to this enough to know the words to some of the songs.

5- It's a masterpiece and anyone that disagrees knows fuck all about music. It's the "where, when" feeling in your gut when the expensive pre-order is announced. It dissolves fiscal logic. Something has connected you with this album on a transcendent level. You recommend it to people that don't care. It is the White Album. It is Wildflowers. It is Hwy 61. There are very few of these, but more than you'd think.

I’d stick BVSC at an 10/10: good music, a great story, an older album that not a lot of people have on vinyl, highly rated, and on multiple prestigious “best of” lists, including I believe the “1001 records before you die” list (one of em anyway). The only knock is that the style isn’t going to be for everyone, but then again, what is? VMP seems weirdly almost apologetic about this pick in the magazine article, but that might just be my impression given how neat this pick is to me.

The Bar-Kays: 5/10: it seems like it’s only appealing to people that can’t get enough funk or Stax. It’s not baaaad, but unless you’re really into that style, there are way better other things to spend your money on.

Lord Finesse: 6/10: one person’s relaxed flow of timeless bars is another person’s emotionless delivery of dated material. The production isn’t bad, but it’s not awe inspiring either. My own RHH tastes are scattered and weird, but I don’t see ranking maybe the 20th best album from from 1996 higher than a 6 (if it’s 1995, then it’s maybe the 30th best). I just feel like there are way better things to buy out there than Lord Finesse, but if you are a hip hop head tha already owns the big stuff, it’s not a terrible selection.

This isn't in reference to you, but in general, I've never understood a 10 point rating system for movies and music. Like, I feel that if someone feels anything was worth the time to listen to it is going to get a 5 by default. And then you know, most people if they hear something is a 5 or 6/10 isn't going to bother with it because it sounds shitty, so if you actually LIKE it then now you are giving it a 7 or higher. Except now 7 or 8 sounds low by comparison so people just end up giving things a 9 or 10. On everything.

1- Album was trash by a trash artist and should have never been released. If you are a dedicated listener then you should never even be reviewing 1 star albums because they fall so far outside of your spectrum that you are only aware because you sought it out. People that enjoy this have wasted their lives long ago

2- Any album that is not worth a spot in your collection (or digital saved playlist-whatever for the kids). Maybe you tried it on a Stereogum heavily played and it didn't click. Maybe it's the "comeback album" by a band you loved in college that is weak. Maybe it's the flavor of the week psych-folk-jazz-hiphop-drone album from the guy who has never left his Brooklyn apartment and can't play jazz and recorded it on Mariopaint that Fantano loved but will only listen to once and you will only listen to once

3- It's worth a home in your collection, at very least digital. You dig it, you probably played this a couple times but honestly it's getting overshadowed by new releases. You'll come back to it here and there

4- It's great, it is a definitive statement from the artist and is a headlining album in their discography. It's going to be somewhere on your Album Of The Year list. You will seek out a physical copy. You will listen to this enough to know the words to some of the songs.

5- It's a masterpiece and anyone that disagrees knows fuck all about music. It's the "where, when" feeling in your gut when the expensive pre-order is announced. It dissolves fiscal logic. Something has connected you with this album on a transcendent level. You recommend it to people that don't care. It is the White Album. It is Wildflowers. It is Hwy 61. There are very few of these, but more than you'd think.
Haha I was writing my thingy before your post hit lol. I’d put BVSC at a 5, Lord Finesse at a 2.5, and the Bar-Kay’s at a 2

Mmmmm I really like this rating system! It’s an excellent way of determining what a record means to you! It’s a great outlook and I think it’s more meaningful too, then just the numbers I rate releases!

Whenever I play the album on my turntable, that’s when I’ll give a rating! New release records I’m not too strict on sound quality as none of them are ever “amazing” sound quality! As long as it’s a great sounding record I’m happy! But yeah, I take into consideration the sound quality, and if I really get much of the listening!

Buena Vista Social Club I’m sure will be a 10/10 for me. The pressing details sound amazing and I love the album. But Lord Finesse could also be a 10/10 if we get “Actual Facts” and if the pressing sounds great. Like I could imagine really enjoying the beats and interludes and features etc, so much with the pressing sounding amazing! Plus, being a single LP, if it sounds amazing and has that hidden track, it’ll be a 10/10. But it’s a 9/10 for now just as my rating for the album! Bar-Keys is an 7.5/10, but I’m sure it’ll sound magnificent and I’ll probably be feeling around an 8/10-9/10 on it!

I’d stick BVSC at an 10/10: good music, a great story, an older album that not a lot of people have on vinyl, highly rated, and on multiple prestigious “best of” lists, including I believe the “1001 records before you die” list (one of em anyway). The only knock is that the style isn’t going to be for everyone, but then again, what is? VMP seems weirdly almost apologetic about this pick in the magazine article, but that might just be my impression given how neat this pick is to me.

The Bar-Kays: 5/10: it seems like it’s only appealing to people that can’t get enough funk or Stax. It’s not baaaad, but unless you’re really into that style, there are way better other things to spend your money on.

Lord Finesse: 6/10: one person’s relaxed flow of timeless bars is another person’s emotionless delivery of dated material. The production isn’t bad, but it’s not awe inspiring either. My own RHH tastes are scattered and weird, but I don’t see ranking maybe the 20th best album from from 1996 higher than a 6 (if it’s 1995, then it’s maybe the 30th best). I just feel like there are way better things to buy out there than Lord Finesse, but if you are a hip hop head tha already owns the big stuff, it’s not a terrible selection.
If you are a hip-hop head, this Lord Finesse ROTM is a spectacular selection! 💯

I respect your opinion on the album, understand why you think the album sounds outdated and feel that Lord Finesse’s delivery is ‘emotionless’. But one thing for sure is that this is a great release for hip-hop heads! 🙏

If you are a hip-hop head, this Lord Finesse ROTM is a spectacular selection! 💯

I respect your opinion on the album, understand why you think the album sounds outdated and feel that Lord Finesse’s delivery is ‘emotionless’. But one thing for sure is that this is a great release for hip-hop heads! 🙏
Yeah, it seemed liked there was a lot of excitement on the RHH thread for it. I’m happy for you!

I'm confused. Your problems with the 10 point rating system can be applied to a 5 point system, it's just half as many numbers. And most places that use 5 point/star also use half points, which is a 10 point rating system.

I'm confused. Your problems with the 10 point rating system can be applied to a 5 point system, it's just half as many numbers. And most places that use 5 point/star also use half points, which is a 10 point rating system.

I read it as having less numbers leaves less room for interpretation on what does a 7.5 mean, etc. Also, why have 3-4 numbers that all mean trash?

I read it as having less numbers leaves less room for interpretation on what does a 7.5 mean, etc. Also, why have 3-4 numbers that all mean trash?
I dunno, I like the resolution of being able to hit middle ground between 3, 4, and 5. I agree you don't need the resolution below three, because why bother with splitting hairs for something you don't like. Ratings out of 100, like Pitchfork, are pretty unnecessary though.

I dunno, I like the resolution of being able to hit middle ground between 3, 4, and 5. I agree you don't need the resolution below three, because why bother with splitting hairs for something you don't like. Ratings out of 100, like Pitchfork, are pretty unnecessary though.

Oh yea 100 is rediculous, unless points are tied to a different aspect of the package i.e. sleeve art, liner notes and extras, pressing quality, mix master and plating, percussion, guitar tuning, clarity of voice, spatial stereo imaging recreation, Mono timing (if applicable), shipping cost, color of pressing, how cool you will be if you buy it and finally resale value.

That's kind of my point. That a 10 system is really a five point system in disguise because everything good is just going to be an 8 , 9 , or 10 or a 3, 4 , or 5

I don't use numbers v often myself but instinctively I like a 10-point system better than a 5 one. The problem, I see it, with a 5-point system is so many releases get 3 or 4. I've started resubscribing to Mojo magazine and 98% of their reviews are 3 or 4 stars so they basically don't tell me anything about a release. It gets really annoying - one double spread in this issue I think had every album, about 15 in total) getting 4 stars! Having 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 all available (with just 10 reserved for the absolute masterpieces) seems like a much better way of getting in some subtlety. But just my opinion.

I don't use numbers v often myself but instinctively I like a 10-point system better than a 5 one. The problem, I see it, with a 5-point system is so many releases get 3 or 4. I've started resubscribing to Mojo magazine and 98% of their reviews are 3 or 4 stars so they basically don't tell me anything about a release. It gets really annoying - one double spread in this issue I think had every album, about 15 in total) getting 4 stars! Having 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 all available (with just 10 reserved for the absolute masterpieces) seems like a much better way of getting in some subtlety. But just my opinion.
I agree, but feel it is also worth noting that this kind of discussion highlights the fact that an actual well written review is a lot more valuable than the number assigned. This is especially apparent when places like pfork have different people writing the review from who assigns the number and they often don't seem to match!

You could always go Binary: Buy It or Don't
I'd agree.
I agree, but feel it is also worth noting that this kind of discussion highlights the fact that an actual well written review is a lot more valuable than the number assigned. This is especially apparent when places like pfork have different people writing the review from who assigns the number and they often don't seem to match!
I agree - I'd absolutely rather have a well written review. But most places insist on having stars/points (or here in Norway just to be different they do everything out of 6, as in spots on a dice). When I used to do reviews giving a mark out of 5 was one of the hardest parts - although I loved the rare occasion I could give a 1 star review...

Maybe a 5/10 overall. It’s very inconsistent in terms of response time, but they always try and make it right for you in the end. I hate how inconsistent their customer service is though with waiting times! 🕰

10/10 for the actual service provided! ✅
1/10 for the waiting times! 🥱

I am scoring VMP a 1/10 for waiting times, because they answer people’s requests/tickets straight away but don’t answer others, and can take like 5-6 weeks to answer you back, which is bullshit if they are answering others within 24 hours! So yeah, I’d give them a 5/10 for customer service! 5️⃣

What would you rate their customer service VinylGuy?

Yes, the waiting times for CS to respond ruin the experience for me a lot. I love their curation and most of the copies sound really good, but it's so frustrating to wait for CS to respond to any questions, for weeks. It was so much better (at least for me) in 2017 and 2018. Rarely took longer than 5 days.

I would buy way more vinyl from VMP if CS would respond quicker to issues. Often I think about buying some exclusives from them, but then I think I can't be bothered with possibly having to deal with their custom service again for weeks. It's really sad, because otherwise they're quite good.

Yes, the waiting times for CS to respond ruin the experience for me a lot. I love their curation and most of the copies sound really good, but it's so frustrating to wait for CS to respond to any questions, for weeks. It was so much better (at least for me) in 2017 and 2018. Rarely took longer than 5 days.

I would buy way more vinyl from VMP if CS would respond quicker to issues. Often I think about buying some exclusives from them, but then I think I can't be bothered with possibly having to deal with their custom service again for weeks. It's really sad, because otherwise they're quite good.
Been waiting for CS for I think three weeks now. Finally got a response to send pics and vids of my warped Tyner and Mayer a few days ago. Responded within a couple hours and now I’ve heard nothing back regarding replacements since they asked for vids. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Back