Vinyl Me Please Classics

Pull up a chair my friend, and I shall spin you a tale.
it's a whale of a tale
Wait could someone give me a quick synopsis. I remember hearing that there were lots of issues with this record....people not getting them....having problems.....needing to press more....etc. But now that they seem to have some for sale in the store.....what's going on? Why isn't it swappable? And its now of course priced up along with all of their other records :mad:

I have all 3 and all are excellent. I rank them Archie, Alice and EU. My rule of thumb is to swap for the oldest first
Thanks! This is my last month with the subscription, so I only have one pick but I think I'm leaning toward Shepp because I have a cd of Alice and EU will be available from Now Again down the line.

I was very close to having a complete classics collection, just needed Floyd and Banks, but I sold my Oriental Jazz recently and I'm not going to get Bobo. It feels good to not feel tied to completion-ism with anything VMP. I will just pick stuff that interests me as opposed to going in blind. I like almost all of the records outside of Lloyd Miller though.

I'm spinning SRT's Gospel Train tonight and I'm wondering again how a 60+ yo recording can give such an amazing sounding record. Her voice is so powerful and moving, pick it up if you can.
Was going to hold out and pick up a standard copy - which I can get quite cheap - but all the good reviews about the sound on this version are changing my mind.

I have an updated Classics Inventory list from Storf!

So the current order from least to most in stock is approximately the following:

Alice Coltrane < William Bell < Koko < Archie Shepp < Little Milton < Lightmen + 1 < Lafayette < Darrell Banks << Sister Rosetta ~ Eddie Floyd << Sarah Webster Fabio < Donald Byrd < James Booker

Speculation: SWF, Byrd and Booker are now a lot closer to Eddie Floyd and Rosetta Tharpe due to VMP giving Bespoke Post a bunch of them. But I suspect there's still a bunch left.

I forgot to ask about Nat Turner, but I feel fairly confident that quantity is pretty limited. It's currently not listed as a swaption, but sometimes whoever is in charge of that thing randomly leaves ROTMs off that are still for sale (Ivy Sole was that way for a while, and uh, I think Four Tet is still in stock despite getting removed from swaptions months ago for no discernible reason).

Wait could someone give me a quick synopsis. I remember hearing that there were lots of issues with this record....people not getting them....having problems.....needing to press more....etc. But now that they seem to have some for sale in the store.....what's going on? Why isn't it swappable? And its now of course priced up along with all of their other records :mad:
From what I understand (and I was on holiday during this particular fiasco so learnt of it when I got back) VMP only pressed enough to cover half of the existing subscribers. Half of the subscribers were randomly picked and sent a copy as usual (I was one of them) whilst the others had to wait a long time - think it was over a month - before VMP could fulfill their order. On top of that I believe some people that got theirs on time were also getting replacement copies before the other subscribers had even received their original one.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

From what I understand (and I was on holiday during this particular fiasco so learnt of it when I got back) VMP only pressed enough to cover half of the existing subscribers. Half of the subscribers were randomly picked and sent a copy as usual (I was one of them) whilst the others had to wait a long time - think it was over a month - before VMP could fulfill their order. On top of that I believe some people that got theirs on time were also getting replacement copies before the other subscribers had even received their original one.

Someone correct me if im wrong.
It wasn't half, I think they were more in the 90% to cover, and it wasn't a pressing number issue but their tech allowing people to swap and sign up (same thing with OutKast)

Yeah it sold out after a few days but the system still allowed for people to swap/sign up for it so it oversold a bunch of copies. Then people got mad when those who had to wait were chosen at random instead of people who signed up last. Which resulted in some longtime subscribers having to wait while some first time subscribers got it on time.

It wasn’t ideal and there was much complaining to be had. Eventually a second pressing went out and all orders were fulfilled. Whatever is left from that second pressing is now in the store (but not as a swaption)

Yeah it sold out after a few days but the system still allowed for people to swap/sign up for it so it oversold a bunch of copies. Then people got mad when those who had to wait were chosen at random instead of people who signed up last. Which resulted in some longtime subscribers having to wait while some first time subscribers got it on time.

It wasn’t ideal and there was much complaining to be had. Eventually a second pressing went out and all orders were fulfilled. Whatever is left from that second pressing is now in the store (but not as a swaption)
This is where they need the new platform because as Paul said in the old forum they didn't even know if there would be a second bucket and their current tech can't actually tell them when someone signed up.

Thanks! This is my last month with the subscription, so I only have one pick but I think I'm leaning toward Shepp because I have a cd of Alice and EU will be available from Now Again down the line.
I switched back to Bobo. Something clicked today for me. It's not transcendental music but it is a lot of fun. Also, I've found that original Verve's don't sound all that great (maybe that's just me) and a AAA/QRP disc is probably going to sound pretty good.

I have an updated Classics Inventory list from Storf!

So the current order from least to most in stock is approximately the following:

Alice Coltrane < William Bell < Koko < Archie Shepp < Little Milton < Lightmen + 1 < Lafayette < Darrell Banks << Sister Rosetta ~ Eddie Floyd << Sarah Webster Fabio < Donald Byrd < James Booker

Speculation: SWF, Byrd and Booker are now a lot closer to Eddie Floyd and Rosetta Tharpe due to VMP giving Bespoke Post a bunch of them. But I suspect there's still a bunch left.

I have had that Alice Coltrane at the top of my swap list for a few months and haven't been able to pull the trigger, I've streamed it a few times and my head says that I like it but I can never seem to stay focused. I'm sure it will click with me the day after it finally sells out...

Back