Vinyl Me Please Classics

Definitely top 3 or so for me, but it's hard to compare albums across his whole discography. Depends on what you're in the mood for. I should spend more time with some others and maybe I'll change my mind.
I hear ya--mood is definitely a factor for me. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to something like Sahara but I still really appreciate it's artistic merits.

I hear ya--mood is definitely a factor for me. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to something like Sahara but I still really appreciate it's artistic merits.
I understand. I'm pretty surprised that VMP went with this one instead of a more crowd pleasing type of album actually. I threw it out as a guess along with Pharoah Sanders and Ornette Coleman that year and didn't expect them to pick any of the three.

Will your record store not put on a record for you? In my experience, most (good) independent record stores will put a used record on for you to hear. I remember one time I was picking up a used copy of Prince's Parade and there were 2 copies that were graded differently and with ~$15 price difference. I couldn't visually see much of a difference so I asked the guy and he offered to put on the less expensive one to see how it sounded. Out of maybe 6 record stores I frequent in my city, I can only think of one that probably wouldn't play a record for me - not cause they're junk but b/c they're larger, a chain, and may not even have a set up for it (I don't know, I've never asked there - this is speculation).
Bummer that the records were too scratched up. As others have said, sometimes you can sample the records at your local and they have turntable stations set up. Aside from that, I had a lot of similar issues to you with thinking certain used records would be fine only to get home to spin them and find them unlistenable. You really gotta inspect them before buying and the more you buy, the more you learn about what kind of visual imperfections will really affect the sound vs what you can get out with your record cleaner. You can even see it in pricing of used records sometimes. I have found records for $1-$2 that should have cost $30 used but the seller thought they were in bad shape because they had some dirt or paper sleeve scuffs on them. After a good clean, they sounded great.
Tbf I didn't go and test it out since one I trust the seller, he was already paying an album for background music. And his girlfriend (or wife I don't remember) said how he never sells scratched records (probably meaning no skipping records) at his store while advertising his vinyl cups (with records not worth enough or unplayable)

This sums up my feelings on a lot of recent VMP releases better than I could have...they are trying to pass off cheaply licensed records that are deep into artist back catalogues as hidden gems. Sometimes they are great--I really enjoyed Veedon Fleece and as a Van Morrison fan, I had never listened to that one, nor do I really recall seeing it in record shops and I ended up loving it. But then they have other stuff like Patrice Rushen which I see everywhere for $5. I'm glad people liked Patrice and I'm sure it sounds great...but I don't need audiophile pressings of every album known to man. And the marketing works. It's funny to see the guess threads and see people trying to convince themselves and others that the dollar bin remasters are great picks...

With that, I'll say that I think Sahara was a really really unexpected pick. I never would have guessed that VMP would reissue that as a classics pick, so that was a pleasant surprise. I don't think it's anywhere close to Tyner's best album but it's more out of left field than usual for them and I am glad more people are being introduced to that album and his music.
Totally agree with you, except that I'll definitely say it's close to his best album. ;)
Fair enough! Maybe I shouldn't have said anywhere close...it's top 5-10 of his for me maybe...I just don't find myself spinning it quite as much as others. Off the top of my head, I like The Real McCoy, Inception, Nights of Ballads & Blues and Extensions more.

Indisputably The Real McCoy is his best and most loved. Sahara for me is third after Inception.

Tbf I didn't go and test it out since one I trust the seller, he was already paying an album for background music. And his girlfriend (or wife I don't remember) said how he never sells scratched records (probably meaning no skipping records) at his store while advertising his vinyl cups (with records not worth enough or unplayable)
That's a shame. And you said you have a spin clean? I have found that a lot of pops and tics have been removed with my vacuum record cleaner but I know the spin clean has worked for people too. I'm okay with putting up with surface noise on used records every once in awhile, but not when it's overpowering. There was a time when I was buying almost exclusively $2-$5 records all over at flea markets, in shops, etc so I ended up buying a VPI cleaner with a bunch of amazon gift cards I had and it was worth every penny. Hopefully this doesn't turn you off from buying used! It can be hit or miss.

That's a shame. And you said you have a spin clean? I have found that a lot of pops and tics have been removed with my vacuum record cleaner but I know the spin clean has worked for people too. I'm okay with putting up with surface noise on used records every once in awhile, but not when it's overpowering. There was a time when I was buying almost exclusively $2-$5 records all over at flea markets, in shops, etc so I ended up buying a VPI cleaner with a bunch of amazon gift cards I had and it was worth every penny. Hopefully this doesn't turn you off from buying used! It can be hit or miss.
i just need a TON of money for a VPI and stuff

those things are expensive... and loud

Don’t discount Expansions! It would be difficult for me to make a top 5 even for McCoy Tyner. He rarely (If ever) did anything that wasn’t worthy of a listen
Beat me to it. I would go with Expansions as one of my top 5 as lead as well. His Impulse! and Blue Note years were just amazing. I know he ended up recording way more for Milestones but im just not that familiar with them. A good list to binge though for sure.

Beat me to it. I would go with Expansions as one of my top 5 as lead as well. His Impulse! and Blue Note years were just amazing. I know he ended up recording way more for Milestones but im just not that familiar with them. A good list to binge though for sure.
All of his 70’s albums are fantastic on Milestone. Check out the New York Reunion album as well from 1991. The band is McCoy, Joe Henderson, Al Foster, and Ron Carter and they are all in top form.

Also hype seems to have replaced curation and the actual music. You must have this album that’s never been repressed by this artist you’ve never heard of over the one you know is good. Whilst there are undoubtedly hidden gems lots of stuff gets forgotten and hasn’t been repressed for a reason...
I’m relatively new to this game, and this is something I’ve slowly been realizing. I’ve put off buying albums I truly love over obscure reissues I’ve never heard of simply due to FOMO. I don’t regret most of those purchases, as I’ve discovered some truly wonderful music that I’m happy to own on vinyl. But recently I’ve been trying to put more focus on curating my collection the way I want it to be. Not necessarily how VMP or some other label thinks it should look like.

I’m relatively new to this game, and this is something I’ve slowly been realizing. I’ve put off buying albums I truly love over obscure reissues I’ve never heard of simply due to FOMO. I don’t regret most of those purchases, as I’ve discovered some truly wonderful music that I’m happy to own on vinyl. But recently I’ve been trying to put more focus on curating my collection the way I want it to be. Not necessarily how VMP or some other label thinks it should look like.

Yeah I got there about a year ago! I found myself with about 12 of their classics that I realised I didn’t like and looking at an average 1 in 3 hit rate on essentials. Combined with them nuking the forum and the attitude of staff members like storf and Matt Fiddler I don’t want to be their customer all the time. I might drop in for a QOTSA here or a Spiritualized there (although if their own black is announced before September I’ll be getting that one) but as a company they don’t deserve my regular custom or a lot of the exposure they get.

Last edited:
Yeah I got there about a year ago! I found myself with about 12 of their classics that I realised I didn’t like and looking at an average 1 in 3 hit rate on essentials. Combined with them nuking the forum and the attitude of staff members like storf and Matt Fiddler I don’t want to be their customer all the time. I might drop in for a QOTSA here or a Spiritualized there (although if their own black is announced before September I’ll be getting that one) but as a company they don’t deserve my regular custom or a lot of the exposure they get.
I still feel like I’m sucked into the Classics track. I have almost everything since I joined last August and am afraid to miss out on future releases. So I’m not fully off of their FOMO train yet.

I have stopped buying their exclusives at least.

I still feel like I’m sucked into the Classics track. I have almost everything since I joined last August and am afraid to miss out on future releases. So I’m not fully off of their FOMO train yet.

I have stopped buying their exclusives at least.

I don’t really care for jazz and I found myself buying it through so weird forum peer pressure and FOMO, convincing myself I’d grow to love it, didn’t happen. When I came to that realisation you’re down to soul and blues. Because the curation is fucked there is tonnes of jazz, some soul and minimal blues. Realising that broke the classics spell for me.

I don’t really care for jazz and I found myself buying it through so weird forum peer pressure and FOMO, convincing myself I’d grow to love it, didn’t happen. When I came to that realisation you’re down to soul and blues. Because the curation is fucked there is tonnes of jazz, some soul and minimal blues. Realising that broke the classics spell for me.
That makes sense. Unfortunately for me, I love jazz and most of their jazz picks. It’s going to take something else to break the spell for me.

That makes sense. Unfortunately for me, I love jazz and most of their jazz picks. It’s going to take something else to break the spell for me.
I would say the Jazz selections are my favorite part of the Classics subscription. They can be a little hit and miss sometimes, but when they hit they are the best

Has anyone noticed a downturn in the quality of Classics pressings? My 'Immortal Otis Redding' came badly scratched and they had no replacements. I just got my Sahara and it is the most warped record I've gotten in a least a year-- well, tied with my VMP Phoebe Bridgers Punisher which arrived the same day.

Has anyone noticed a downturn in the quality of Classics pressings? My 'Immortal Otis Redding' came badly scratched and they had no replacements. I just got my Sahara and it is the most warped record I've gotten in a least a year-- well, tied with my VMP Phoebe Bridgers Punisher which arrived the same day.
Hey uh... if you get a replacement Phoebe... I might be interested in that warped one... But I think we know there will likely be no replacements... BUT IF THERE ARE...

-points furiously at self-

Back