Vinyl Me Please Classics

Latest Clue(s) from Storf:

I would love for it to be Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove, but I'm sure that's highly doubtful. Some others from 78:

Rufus & Chaka Kahn - Street Player
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Bootsy? Player of the Year
Rick James - Come Get It!
Commodores - Natural High
Chic - C'est Chic
Ohio Players - Jass-Ay-Lay-Dee
Chaka Khan - Chaka
Parliament - Motor Booty Affair
The Brothers Johnson - Blam!
The Brides of Funkenstein - Funk or Walk

I'm honestly not sure how any of these would tie into the 7 and label clues though.

I would love for it to be Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove, but I'm sure that's highly doubtful. Some others from 78:

Rufus & Chaka Kahn - Street Player
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Bootsy? Player of the Year
Rick James - Come Get It!
Commodores - Natural High
Chic - C'est Chic
Ohio Players - Jass-Ay-Lay-Dee
Chaka Khan - Chaka
Parliament - Motor Booty Affair
The Brothers Johnson - Blam!
The Brides of Funkenstein - Funk or Walk

I'm honestly not sure how any of these would tie into the 7 and label clues though.

Someone on Reddit guessed Money Talks by the Bar-Kays. I was not aware of this album an hour ago, but I am now totally onboard with it being the Classics selection this month. The funk is laid on THICK.

Last edited:
Parliament - Motor Booty Affair?
1978, 7th studio album, Casablanca / Mercury Records (now owned by UMe, who they’ve dealt with)

I don't think the label clue can be applied that broadly, though.

It has to be one of Milestone (Tyner), Stax (King), Atlantic/Atco (Redding/Franklin), Elektra (Rushen), Philips (Garner), or Columbia (Hancock).

I think the best candidate at the moment is Money Talks by the Bar Kays on Stax. The band had seven members (featured on the back cover) when they recorded this album.

Someone on Reddit guessed Money Talks by the Bar-Kays. I was not aware of this album an hour ago, but I am now totally onboard with it being the Classics selection this money. The funk is laid on THICK.
I’m listening to it now as well and would be very happy if it was indeed the August Classics ROTM! Regardless, I think we are going to get an excellent pick for this Classics ROTM! 🔥🔥🔥

Someone on Reddit guessed Money Talks by the Bar-Kays. I was not aware of this album an hour ago, but I am now totally onboard with it being the Classics selection this month. The funk is laid on THICK.

Oh nice! I haven't heard that one either, I'll have to check it out. Excited that people are liking it though!

when bar keys is confirmed someone should @ storf and say "dude... we need to have a talk, you have a problem"

He is very obviously obsessed. It has been good for me, because a lot of these deep cuts are bands, singers, or albums I have never heard of, but it will eventually start to get a bit tired. The Albert King album was not my bag at all, and I'm afraid he is using his position there as a means to get high quality releases of holes in his collection.

I am totally in for this Bar Keys album, but hopefully they explore other labels for the rest of the year. This would make what, 3 of the first 8 months are Stax? It looks like he did 3 Stax records back in 2018, so maybe thats where they cut him off.

The Albert King album was not my bag at all, and I'm afraid he is using his position there as a means to get high quality releases of holes in his collection.
That may be the best explanation as to why that Albert King album was picked I have heard. I can't think of any other that makes sense.

So tempted to pick up that Blossom Dearie - even tho I said no more money to VMP.....

GreatIdleBanteng-max-1mb.gif

...I'm afraid he is using his position there as a means to get high quality releases of holes in his collection.

If there was a still a VMP Forum, you could find specific quotes where he basically said as much for certain selections, not just Classics. I think I recall that was the argument for the Willie Nelson albums he chose.

If there was a still a VMP Forum, you could find specific quotes where he basically said as much for certain selections, not just Classics. I think I recall that was the argument for the Willie Nelson albums he chose.
That’s why he picked Sorcerer as an Essential release. He said so in the magazine article if I recall correctly.

Back