Vinyl Me Please Classics

It's possible that Storf just thinks the Otis album was pressed by Stax

When I suggested The Immortal... as the Otis album in the Anthology, Storf stated on Reddit that it wasn't on the Stax label, so I'm sure he know which label released it which gives me pause.

BUT...

The Immortal... was recorded at Stax with Booker T & The MGs and produced by Steve Cropper, so it's a de facto Stax album.

(And technically, the only Otis album that was on Stax was King and Queen, the others were on Volt.)

Isn’t Immortal Otis Redding a compilation album of sorts?
I had a decent copy of it but gave it away because I’ve all his albums.
Excited to save some money if it’s this

Isn’t Immortal Otis Redding a compilation album of sorts?
I had a decent copy of it but gave it away because I’ve all his albums.
Excited to save some money if it’s this
Dunno but this is what Wikipedia says:

The Immortal Otis Redding is a posthumous studio album by American soul recording artist Otis Redding, released in June 1968 by Atco Records. It compiles 11 songs recorded by Redding in a three-week stretch of sessions that concluded days prior to his death in December 1967. "The Happy Song (Dum-Dum)" was the only song previously released, having been a single in April 1968. The Immortal Otis Redding featured four charting singles including "The Happy Song", "I've Got Dreams to Remember", "Amen", and "Hard to Handle".

Dunno but this is what Wikipedia says:
Exactly. Not really a comp but more of a possible studio album that was assembled posthumously from sessions just before he died. It’s got some great tracks on it but it’s definitely weaker compared to his proper albums, imo. Still worthy to own though.

Exactly. Not really a comp but more of a possible studio album that was assembled posthumously from sessions just before he died. It’s got some great tracks on it but it’s definitely weaker compared to his proper albums, imo. Still worthy to own though.

That's exactly what this record is, it uses 6 tracks from Immortal. Immortal being posthumous release of sessions, Dock of the bay trying to sequence what an album would have been like if Otis hadn't have died.

I don't think I'm interested in Otis Immortal. This could be another month where I'm struggling to find swaps

I'm listening to Lucille for the first time and hot damn I am pleasantly surprised. The title track opens side A and it's a humorous but meandering talking blues that lasts ten minutes. That song is interesting and unique but the album really kicks in after that and doesn't let up. Going in I only knew the title track and I was worried that the whole album would have that feel, almost live and jam heavy, but it's not that.
The horns on some songs add something without being overwhelming. B.B. King is obviously an icon and I have a couple of his records but this is the best I've heard. And obviously the sound quality is top notch. This is what makes VMP worthwhile.

Man, this place is hush hush. Maybe that has something to do with people not loving the last pick. If you swapped away from Patrice what did you pick up? How is that sounding?

I swapped Patrice for Laura Nyro, and I also ordered Horace Tapscott as my jazz fix for the month. I'm sure they'll sound great, but they are still en route.

Man, this place is hush hush. Maybe that has something to do with people not loving the last pick. If you swapped away from Patrice what did you pick up? How is that sounding?

Swapped for the Irma Thomas record but it hasn't shipped yet so can't really get too excited and seeing as a bunch peoples records are getting cancelled I'm not exactly optimistic about actually getting a record this month!

Swapped for the Irma Thomas record but it hasn't shipped yet so can't really get too excited and seeing as a bunch peoples records are getting cancelled I'm not exactly optimistic about actually getting a record this month!

Same here, although I was told by CS that only Grace and Bandana had been oversold. Not sure how accurate that is but at least what I would told.

Back