Vinyl Me Please Classics

I think they should stick to the Classic Soul era of 60s/70s for the genre in the Classics track. 80s R&B is a whole other thing and a whole other can of worms IMO. Same with jazz, gospel, and blues.

Might just be a generational gap with some folks but I think 80s r&b is "old music" by quite a bit, having come out before I was born, which is one qualifier for "classic" in my book. The other is just fulfilled by how important some 80s r&b was to music at large, and it largely built off of funk and soul. I can see it being a bridge too far I guess.

Might just be a generational gap with some folks but I think 80s r&b is "old music" by quite a bit, having come out before I was born, which is one qualifier for "classic" in my book. The other is just fulfilled by how important some 80s r&b was to music at large, and it largely built off of funk and soul. I can see it being a bridge too far I guess.

I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Of course it's still classic but it's a whole other genre and a different kind of music. Just like they don't include reggae in Classics (even though it fits better than 80s R&B imo). Stax and Motown stuff from the 60s is nothing like the cassette-era 80s R&B of drum machines and synths and whatnot.

I am really happy with that Patrice Rushen pick! It seriously contains some of the best R&B tracks from the 80’s (Forget Me Nots & Remind Me)! I can’t wait to spin that ROTM on a hot day and drink some coconut water and have some delicious fruit and feel fresh! 😋🌴🍒🥥🍉🍇

Welcome back, and I knew this album would be right up your alley. Forget Me Nots is such a fun, catchy song. Ever since it became clear this would be the AOTM I've had it get stuck in my head about four times.

I'm still swapping, though

Might just be a generational gap with some folks but I think 80s r&b is "old music" by quite a bit, having come out before I was born, which is one qualifier for "classic" in my book.

Hey, me too!

...unfortunately I was alive and well in 1982. I am so, so old.

i love the fact that in their article about analogue productions they basically admit that "yeah the only difference between us and them is that they put 20 grams more vinyl in it"

It’s
I agree that this Patrice Rushen album can be easily had for < $10 and therefore does not warrant an expensive reissue. But the music itself is freakin' solid. I'll definitely be searching for a cheap copy at my local shop, just as I did with the Isley Brothers album a few months ago!
not classic is my argument.

What bothers me about the last two picks is that today they sold out of two albums that much better fit as classics before I even had time to look at them today. Meanwhile I get the last two picks for “classics”.
I don’t mind the FOMO albums but don’t put the best stuff in non subscription tracks.

I’m only just over 40. This is not “old” or classic.

also it’s a huge departure from what the track has been.

IMO something being easily found for $10 in a used record crate at most record stores doesn't make it a bad candidate for being a VMP Classics pick one bit. If it hasn't had a quality, AAA reissue in a long time it qualifies no matter how widely available some old VG/VG+ copies are. Not for nothing, the AAA mastering on most of these VMP Classics the past year sound better than any previous issue of the record including the original pressing arguably.

IMO something being easily found for $10 in a used record crate at most record stores doesn't make it a bad candidate for being a VMP Classics pick one bit. If it hasn't had a quality, AAA reissue in a long time it qualifies no matter how widely available some old VG/VG+ copies are. Not for nothing, the AAA mastering on most of these VMP Classics the past year sound better than any previous issue of the record including the original pressing arguably.
Totally agree here.

which is why some of the stuff in the limited number bin should be classic IMO. Who cares if it’s out. Give me the better version.

I agree with your main point, but often times, epsecially with the current state of used vinyl prices, bargain bin albums are still bargain bin albums because there are many albums that come before them when considering which are truly Classics.

What bothers me about the last two picks is that today they sold out of two albums that much better fit as classics before I even had time to look at them today. Meanwhile I get the last two picks for “classics”.
I don’t mind the FOMO albums but don’t put the best stuff in non subscription tracks.
Which albums?

Back