Vinyl Me Please Classics

Did pick it up thanks. Toying around with scooping up my last swap and calling it a day after this month.

Is there usually enough quantity out where I could stalk their pick and then pick it up somewhere else most of the time or will I miss a few too many picks?
Even after they started limiting production (Eddie Floyd), only 3 out of 14 go for significantly more than retail (~$65 on cogs). So you can get most elsewhere for close to retail, but ofc those 3 are expensive because they kick so much ass :/

Even after they started limiting production (Eddie Floyd), only 3 out of 14 go for significantly more than retail (~$65 on cogs). So you can get most elsewhere for close to retail, but ofc those 3 are expensive because they kick so much ass :/
I've really enjoyed the Sub. I have been pointed to a couple labels and artists that I would not have easily found on my own.

My problem is that last two picks lean toward a slightly new (even if not often) interpretation and the timing is such that I'm right at the end of my sub too. :-/ I'm annual and so locked in at a low rate, so If I change my mind later and jump in it will cost me money. At 65$ a pop, even if it's only 3 albums I'm losing money there too. Decisions, decisions.

I'll actually counter that by saying that a Classics (or any track) release of Controversy would be the most pointless release in that series from VMP and would receive a lot of backlass.

The reason being that the 2011 press was cut all analog by Bernie Grundman and pressed at RTI, and is easily found for $20ish new.

Now, if it were say, "Love Symbol" - I'd be all over that
That Controversy pressing comes with a giant poster of Prince in a bikini and nothing else :LOL: it does sound great too.

My sub is up for renewal on 3/1 and I’m having serious reservations about renewing. Including this one, I will have swapped two of the last three and that’s not what I signed up for. I guess I’m not sure what “classic” means for VMP anymore. I can see Mr. Hands because, hey, it’s Herbie Hancock (even though I’m not a fan of that particular album) but I really don’t see how this latest album is a “classic”.

I am still a subscriber almost entirely for the classics, but this and Mr. Hands in a 3 month span is brutal.

Agree with the discussions here about these 80s "classics" albums being a travesty.
Completely agree with you here. Theres an endless number of Classic albums out there and to choose such a luke-warm pick is quite poor and embarrassing IMO.

I don't know. I scoffed at Mr Hands and ended up loving it. For me, it's fine since this is a side sub. If it was my main, I'd probably be more perturbed.

Last edited:
Valid. I was hoping for something in the Blue Note catalog from him. For me, Classics is one where I just sit back and let them introduce me to stuff I wouldn't normally purchase for myself. Mr Hands and Patrice certainly fit that.

Yeah, I love his blue note stuff but that's either already or is about to be this year reissued through the Tone Poet, BN80, and Music Matters Jazz series so I doubt they'd license it to VMP for a AAA reissue. Luckily Blue Note let them have The Freedom Rider though from Art Blakey. Hopefully they get more stuff from Blue Note soon, but it was a lot to expect us to get a Blue Note Herbie reissue. Now, a 70s Herbie reissue would've made a lot more sense.

Valid. I was hoping for something in the Blue Note catalog from him. For me, Classics is one where I just sit back and let them introduce me to stuff I wouldn't normally purchase for myself. Mr Hands and Patrice certainly fit that.
Yeah this is exactly why I like it as well! I guess its one of those things where if you aren't familiar with a particular artist then anything from them is automatically interesting. But as soon as you are familiar then I guess you tend to scrutinise the pick more (which is exactly what I did with Hancock, I personally think one like 'Mwandishi' would have covered the intrigue factor, presented an obscurity, and satisfied the die-hards with a genuinely well-developed album).

With that being said, Im completely unfamiliar with soul music, and the picks they have chosen to date seem fantastic to me but maybe not to people that are more familiar with that genre.

Yeah this is exactly why I like it as well! I guess its one of those things where if you aren't familiar with a particular artist then anything from them is automatically interesting. But as soon as you are familiar then I guess you tend to scrutinise the pick more (which is exactly what I did with Hancock, I personally think one like 'Mwandishi' would have covered the intrigue factor, presented an obscurity, and satisfied the die-hards with a genuinely well-developed album).

With that being said, Im completely unfamiliar with soul music, and the picks they have chosen to date seem fantastic to me but maybe not to people that are more familiar with that genre.
I don't hate the pick, I'm swapping it because I need that Soul Makossa before it sells but I'll probably grab one later on down the road.

Back